The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My dog had surgery. Update: hey Bumper post 26

I know, right. He had surgery so of course he's crying. Duh.
    But he's had 2 Tramadol and 1/4 Valium. He cries and cries and does circles around the house.
    That cocktail didn't knock him out, so I called the vet and they gave me Buprenorphine. He is still standing (barely) and still crying. The only difference is that now he also looks stoned.
    He has been up since 5am doing this and hasn't laid down once.
    He felt good enough to scarf down an entire ham and cheese omelet though - so he's not dying.

He had to have an emergency neuter on Monday and stayed overnight where they kept him sedated. I hoped since it was "just a neuter" he'd already be starting to feel better today, but that's obviously not the case. He's 9 and it's obviously hitting him hard. Mostly I'm just venting because I have been on edge all day due to my inability to do anything to help him.
    I hate this part of having pets. I feel so bad for him and he doesn't understand why we took him to the "awful place" and made him hurt.

I'm gonna go cry now.
    Last edited by GotGait; May. 14, 2012 at 03:16 PM.

Some dogs Do. Not. do well on tramadol. I had one of those. It makes her feel weird or something, which upsets her and she makes a lot of noise. Can you wean him off that and see if he feels better?

A neuter should not be THAT bad. Why was it an emergency?

Good luck, and it will get better. This part sucks

I'm sorry. Hugs. Hope he feels better soon.

Okay, take this for what it's worth as on online, don't-know-you-or-your-dog, but a castration should not be that painful. I've never had a dog suffer that much from a castration. I've never had a dog suffer that much from more serious surgeries. If it were my dog I'd be back at the vet or at the emergency vet to make sure everything is okay.

I've had dogs go through castration, spay, dermoid sinus removal, and lump removal and never experienced what you're describing. They're usually really sore for a day, and NQR a couple of days more.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

GotGait is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Some dogs Do. Not. do well on tramadol. I had one of those. It makes her feel weird or something, which upsets her and she makes a lot of noise. Can you wean him off that and see if he feels better?

A neuter should not be THAT bad. Why was it an emergency?

Good luck, and it will get better. This part sucks
    Someone in my neighborhood has an unspayed bitch. In the past all he's done is sit on the back deck and sniff the wind all day. This time while sitting on the deck dreaming about lovely Labradoodle, he developed prostatitis. He was in a lot of pain and the best way to shrink it fast and not have it reoccur was to neuter him. Because I'm so lucky, I got the only dog in his family tree to develop this problem.
    He's never come home with pain meds before and he's reacting badly. I'm not going to give him the night dose since he's already had enough today. So, like you said, I hope he's making all the noise because he feels weird.

Oh, and I've been on the phone all day with my vet and he tells me this is typical for prostatitis, but that the drugs should make him sleep. Ha. Not.

My boy was three or so (pound puppy so who knows for sure), had an undescended testicle, and needed to be neutered. Because of the location of the undescended one he basically had a neuter and a spay surgery. He was so sore when I went to pick him up that I swear he didn't move anything but his toenails tip-toeing out to the car. And then the poor thing popped an old umbilical hernia they had to do under a minimal sleep med. He didn't cry like that either. Something is wrong, and it might be time to go back to the vet's office.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

no advice but so sorry for you and him

my pup have was a trooper after the big snip snip, but then again it was done at 6 months and no complications, heck trying to keep him still after the first day was hard, and on Fri he goes in to get his staples out of his head and the first day he had them he was tired and wanted to nap on you, after that bouncing off the wall again and no pain meds

Original Poster

Kinda funny, but about 20 minutes after writing my first post he quieted down a little. He's been pretty quiet for a bit now and looks less dazed so I hope the drugs did it and he will sleep soon. He's still standing up though even though I know he's exhausted.

Take his temperature to make sure he's quiet because he's feeling better and not because he's bleeding somewhere.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I agree with the poster about the Tramadol. It can make them whiney/sick feeling.

Original Poster

He's been better since my husband got home. Temp is fine, but now he's really pissed at me.
    Fingers crossed that he'll sleep.

Original Poster

Yay he's sleeping. Shhhhhhh

I haven't read all the posts, and this obviously isn't your exact situation, but... we got our (then) one year old neutered last dec and when we brought him home at around 5pm (sugery in am) he cried all night (till around 2ish). He was on tramadol, i believe. He did not seem in pain as he was jumping on the couch still, but really whiney and crying. It was a little better the next day, and the next and eventually he was normal. We called the vet that night and they told us his reaction was normal.

Jingles for your doggy!

Check his capillary refill, often. Just open his mouth, press on his gums with your finger. The skin under your finger will go white. Remove your finger. The gum should go back to red. This is to check that he is not bleeding internally.

I read about people who have scissors, gauze, clamps left inside after surgery. So if he is nqr after a longer period of time, that would be something to check.

I am not a vet, so take it for what it is worth, advice from a stranger with no credentials, on the Internet.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by veetiepony View Post
    I haven't read all the posts, and this obviously isn't your exact situation, but... we got our (then) one year old neutered last dec and when we brought him home at around 5pm (sugery in am) he cried all night (till around 2ish). He was on tramadol, i believe. He did not seem in pain as he was jumping on the couch still, but really whiney and crying. It was a little better the next day, and the next and eventually he was normal. We called the vet that night and they told us his reaction was normal.
    Yes, that's exactly how he was acting. He went up and down stairs, jumped on the bed, and even went for a little walk out to the mailbox with his tail almost up. Back inside he just wandered around crying again.
    He's completely zonked out now.
    I've never seen him react this way even though he had a very painful throat surgery last year. That time, he did not get sent home with painkillers and he was totally quiet until my mom came over and he laid it on really thick.
    Thinking back I can't think of any of my dogs getting painkillers...
    It's pretty common to see pets coming out of anesthesia acting like this, but I've never experienced Tramadol before.

I drove my crying dog home from an endoscope one evening and called my vet the next day. She said my dog was reacting mostly to the meds, not the procedure. I'e taken her home from a spay surgery and never heard a peep out of her a year earlier. Hope your guy feeling better.

I am thinking it's a reaction to the anesthesia. When my big dog cut open his foot last summer they had to knock him out completely, and when I got him home from the surgery it was like he was having a panic attack. He was RUNNING (not pacing) around the house, whining and whining. This lasted for about 45 minutes and then - WHAM. He went down for the count and didn't wake up until the next morning. I don't think the foot even bothered him at all; it was a drug reaction.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Original Poster

Thanks for all the support. He seems to be down for the count now, and my husband went to bed already so he'd stay down.
    I think I will be skipping the pain meds tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    I am thinking it's a reaction to the anesthesia. When my big dog cut open his foot last summer they had to knock him out completely, and when I got him home from the surgery it was like he was having a panic attack. He was RUNNING (not pacing) around the house, whining and whining. This lasted for about 45 minutes and then - WHAM. He went down for the count and didn't wake up until the next morning. I don't think the foot even bothered him at all; it was a drug reaction.
    I wonder if the more minor procedures are worse for owners because the vet probably lets the dogs go home quicker? Mine came home after a tumor removal and was less goofy than after her teeth cleaning. Post the "real" surgery, she was just sleepy; after the cleaning, she was loopy and restless.