The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Are there ANY minority riders out there in the English disciplines? I'm sure there are some out there but I've never seen any in person.

The reason I ask--the last issue of PH had an article by Randy Ward, an African-American eventer. It suddenly dawned on me that he was the first minority rider I've ever seen in any horse publication, and I've read a lot of them.

Myself a minority, I can honestly say that I have never encountered overt racism. However, I will say that I sometimes feel like the "token minority" at horse events (except for the Mexican grooms, no joke). I know this can be a sensitive subject and I'm not trying to offend anyone in anyway. I'm just wondering if anyone else has thought about the issue of race in the horse world.
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

Are there ANY minority riders out there in the English disciplines? I'm sure there are some out there but I've never seen any in person.

The reason I ask--the last issue of PH had an article by Randy Ward, an African-American eventer. It suddenly dawned on me that he was the first minority rider I've ever seen in any horse publication, and I've read a lot of them.

Myself a minority, I can honestly say that I have never encountered overt racism. However, I will say that I sometimes feel like the "token minority" at horse events (except for the Mexican grooms, no joke). I know this can be a sensitive subject and I'm not trying to offend anyone in anyway. I'm just wondering if anyone else has thought about the issue of race in the horse world.

Paige Johnson, a top junior rider, is an African American.

I only wish there were more diversity! If I go to one more Orange County/Southern California horse show, and have to rub elbows at the backgate with another cluster of boob-implanted, manicured WASP yuppies with their classic Newport Beach bob haircuts, I'm going to be sick. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Have seen at least one oriental rider at Horse Trials. Upper level, like Prelim or Intermediate, I believe.

msj
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

There were at least two African American girls competing at the last local hunter show I went to, but they are definitely a minority.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Merry I take extreme offense to your "racist" statments. I am proud that my Family ,on my Mother's side, has been here since Jamestown, and fought in the Revolutionary War and the Civil War. I love the fact we have houses in our family that are several hundred years old and have been in our family since they were built.
    I am very proud of my Family's part in the founding of this Country and their accomplishments and achievements. And if that to you is being a manicured WASP that makes you sick, then your ideals are not only flawed but racist.
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

Bully for you Moesha - so is mine.

I too am proud of my heritage. But I agree with Merry - it still gets really old to see the same types of people at every show with no diversity in the competitor base.

And the using of the Term WASP in a degrading or insulting way is no different than using hateful and racist terms to describe members of any ethnic or national group.
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

Oh please, Moesha, I'm about as WASP as they get! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] My GRANDPARENTS, founders of Orange County, home of Richard Nixon, helped build Knott's Berry Farm, that commercial bastion of yuppie, John Birch Society conservatism. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Nothing like poking a little fun at my own roots.

Perhaps I'm just a tad jealous because I'm always a bit grunged out at shows, actually requiring my COTH cap to conceal my non-bobbed haircut.

a first for me - but I whole heartedly agreed with Moesha's remarks. drop the "wasp" bashing

I've heard of Paige Johnson. Her father owns BET (Black Entertainment TV) television which sponsors some GP events. I read an interesting article about her father and a USET gala fund-raiser he organized. It said that the party was completely segregated by race and all the equestrians (I'm assuming except for Paige) were white.

Just to add some fuel to the fire (you can tell I love to stir controversy)...do you think that the reason why there are so few minorities in English riding is because of the perception that it is an elitist sport for rich people only? *disclaimer: comment to cause debate only*

msj- Really? That's interesting as I'd like to get involved in eventing in your area.

Merry- I used to ride/live near OC myself. I've always thought that was odd considering how demographically diverse the OC/LA counties are in general.

I've been doing my usual "spectating" at VA shows this spring and have noticed more minority (predominantly African American and Asian) riders than I did last year. The vast majority of riders, however, are caucasian. Unfortunately, that about sums up my non-scientific survey.

Tangentially, I'm noticing marked growth in another minority group participating in riding - the over 40 adult beginner (male and female). YIPPEE!! I HAVE COMPANY!!

Moesha, I'm sure Merry didn't mean "WASP" as an insult. Orange County, while on the one hand has been known for years as a bunch of conservative Wonder Bread republicans, is one of the most ethnically diverse counties in the US. But you'd never guess it from the shows.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Tom Simmons is a successful combined driving competitor, trainer and instructor in NC. http://members.person.net/~horseman2

linquest: yes, both Orange County and LA County are definitely more diverse than what our typical horse shows would indicate. Of course, there are multiple reasons why this would be so.

Gosh, yes, absolutely, in no way did I mean to offend anyone!I apologize if my self-deprecating sense of humor offended anyone. I just really wish horse shows weren't seen so much as an enclave of elitism by much of the general public. Heck, we have riding parks and trails being closed out here by the Parks and Recreation Departments because they're perceived as being only for the hobbies of the predominantly white upper class. We need to encourage diversity and inclusion in our sport if it's going to survive.

[This message was edited by Merry on May. 16, 2001 at 02:22 PM.]

Moesha... I think when I took offense to an admittedly well-intended joke slurring Mexicans, you, in essence, told me to loosen up. I find the fact that you're now offended,...well... interesting. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

"conservative Wonder Bread republicans"?!?
    ROFL. I'm sorry, I have to laugh.
    If WASP is an insult, what would people think of that comment?

Linquest, scary as it may seem, there are a lot of Orange Countians who would see it and nod and say "yes, that's Orange County." And "Wonder Bread" is a comment that all the chi chi restaurateurs make about the OC dining crowd. Amazing, but true!
    EDDIE WOULD GO