The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Sheepskin on the horse or on the saddle pad?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • My sheepskin is placed directly on the horse's back

18 39.13%
  • My sheepskin is placed on top of the cotton saddle pad

28 60.87%

Default Sheepskin under or over cotton pad?

If you use a sheepskin under your saddle, do you put yours under the cotton pad on directly on the horse's back or on top of the cotton saddle pad? Why?

I have seen them both ways and thought directly on the horse's back was the more common method, but have seen a lot on top of the cotton pad. Is this purely due to the annoyance of cleaning the sheepskin? Do you believe it serves its purpose if it's not directly on the horse's back? What do you believe it's purpose is? (I think it is to improve saddle fit and provide comfort).

Mostly just curious.

As I do not show, I put mine directly on the back, with no cotton pad at all.

The whole point to wool is that that it is cooler and wicks better. Cotton, otoh is like a sponge. If you're going to use wool fleece only as a cushion, you may as well use synthetic fleece.
    It does NOT need to be washed; simply the sweat brushed out.

I always put mine directly on my horse's back. The purpose is to wick away the sweat and keep the horse comfortable.

I've had some of my sheepskin pads for more than 10 years. mostly I brush them out; occasionally I wash them in cold water and air dry. They are still going strong!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Correctly - as above. Many people put the babypad on first to keep the sheepskin clean. But they do wash quite well when they need it.

Wool has a completely different spring then synthetic. If you're only using it for saddle fit, put it between saddle and pad. It makes for a smoother surface and less rubbing on the hair.

If you're using it because you need the cooler air, put it directly on the back, then the pad and saddle.

It really depends on your purpose. Personally, I almost always use it between and the GP riders I groomed for did the same. the foxhunting riders on the other hand needed it under the saddle pad without any question. Too many hours of too hot a back.

I put it directly on the back and it was always filthy. Maybe that speaks to my grooming skills, but between the dirt and the sweat, it had to get washed and eventually it would fall apart. I couldn't manage to take care of them.

So, I switched to between a square pad and the saddle.

I have used it both ways. I have a sheepskin pad that a I made out of a sheep pelt over 30 years ago and it is still doing great. When used against the skin, it obviously gets sweaty and dirty quicker. I wash it in wool lite, after a good brushing, then put in my washing machine on gentle, and lay it out of direct sunlight to dry--you don't want them drying too quickly. I then take a sheep card, or a metal curry would probably work, and card the wool--it looks and feels brand new. I'm sure how well the pad lasts would depend on the quality of the wool and pad--but I wash mine 2-3 times a year. I most often NOW (last 2 years) use it between my saddle and pad. For wicking purposes, against the skin is best, but for extra padding, I use it on top of the pad.

Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post
    As I do not show, I put mine directly on the back, with no cotton pad at all.

The whole point to wool is that that it is cooler and wicks better. Cotton, otoh is like a sponge. If you're going to use wool fleece only as a cushion, you may as well use synthetic fleece.
    It does NOT need to be washed; simply the sweat brushed out.
    Ditto this! I brush it out after every ride... I've had my sheepskin half pad for 3+ years and I think I've washed it (with Melp or Woolite) maybe 3 times?
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

Directly on the back. Natural next to the skin is best.

I always think why would you buy super deluxe luxurious high thread count sheets, and then wear polyester pajamas to bed?

My pad is a bit dirty, and the dirty parts are a bit stiff and clumpy. I've tried brushing it and scraping with a shedding blade but it's still icky. Is washing my only option now?