The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Alice and Remi are going to read the posts tonight when they are back home in Paris.

Alice said Clare rode great!

And she really thought that no one knew they were there...but when you have a sister with a big mouth, this is what you get...

I've asked her to post her thoughts...so let's see if she does and can.

Congratulations Alice, Richard, Clare, their grooms, and all the people behind them who made this possible. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I think that's a great score given all the difficulties involved.

Some of our Nations Cup teams have done a lot worse than that in the past with teams that had 4 riders and a drop score and had a whole lot more time to prepare. And it's really great that each horse and rider had at least one round with no rails down! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I know it's not an exact correlation by any means, but out of curiosity I took a look at the drop scores for the other countries, all of whom had 4 riders. Here's the totals dropped by each one:

Netherlands dropped 14
    Belgium dropped 12
    Spain dropped 16
    Germany dropped 24
    France dropped 16
    Italy dropped 13
    USA - no drop score.

So I think our team did da*n good!

[This message was edited by Portia on Sep. 24, 2001 at 11:01 AM.]
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

I am hoping they show this on OLN.

Congratulations everyone!

A good job!! congratulations to all.

I continue to be disheartened in the devisive nature of the USAE and USDF situation.

So many people clamor for MORE EXPERIENCE and exposure for our international riders. We here was opportunity which riders grabbed and I feel they got slapped on the hand for it.

I would still like to know if the USDF contributed monies to the NAYRA Championships.

I was stunned to find out how poorly funded this important event is (was).
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Hoopoe -- do you mean the conflict between USA Equestrian and USET? Or USET and USDF? Or USA Eq and USDF?

Help! We're drowning in the alphabet soup! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

My heartiest congratulations as well! I am so glad these three people represented the United States....they did us proud. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

Great job Alice, Richard and Clare!!! Great teamwork, sportsmanship and riding! Thanks for making us look good. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

-------------------------
    "You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
    --Colette
    Act Silly! Sing Loud! Create!

OOOOPPPPPS Yes I meant USET.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Coming in on this a little late.....

First of all, nice job and congratulations to those who represented the USA. I completely disagree with George Morris -- this was EXACTLY the time to let those who were already there compete.

MAD, thanks so much for your posts about the event and the ones excerpting Alice's article about showing in Italy. Very moving stuff.

where the East meets the West, and the North meets the South!!

"OOOh say can you see..."

God Bless America!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

USA Equestrian, Inc.-Press Release 9/24/01

WARM RECEPTION FOR U.S. RIDERS IN NATIONS CUP FINAL

USA Equestrian (formerly AHSA) announced today that U.S. riders produced a gallant performance at the World Final of the Samsung Nations Cup Series (Jumping) in Madrid, Spain on September 23, 2001, against tough competition and received a warm reception for their participation in challenging circumstances.
    The team, with one rider less than the other six teams, did not have the benefit of a discard score. Clare Bronfman (Charlton) scored 5 & 0 faults in rounds one and two respectively; Alice Debany Clero (CEO) - 0 & 8; Richard Spooner (Robinson FRH) - 2 & 4. The USA was not far off the pace when joining Spain on a seven-fault tally as round two began.

"We know we are the underdogs," Alice Debany-Clero had said during the draw the previous day, "but the terrorists tried to paralyze our country last week and by coming here to compete we want to show them that we will not lie down because of what they did." Standing in as Chef d'Equipe, Debany-Clero kicked off the American attack with a foot-perfect round from CEO in the first round. Claire Bronfman looked to be on the way to doing likewise until hitting the last with the big-jumping Charlton who also picked up a single time fault while Richard Spooner steered the gray, Robinson FRH, to a clean jumping round with just two time faults showing on the clock.

American chances faded when Debany-Clero dropped two fences in the second round and although Bronfman, who has clearly built up an excellent partnership with the massive gelding Charlton, got it absolutely right this time to go clear, the U.S. finished with a score of 19 to leave them in seventh position after Richard and Robinson put a foot in the water.

I think it was fabulous that the US was able to field a team at all, and I think that our "catch riders" did us more than proud. It must have been an emotional experience.

Thanks for rising above the bickering at our National level and bringing the US some genuine honor! If we had a flag smiley, I'd post it here!

As for rising above the bickering, it seems some have, but some maybe haven't; ie, still no comment from USET? Hmmmmm.

since they were not sent by the uset but by our NF - USA Equestrian - then that makes them AMERICA'S TEAM doesn't it?
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”