The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Name change for a papered Dutch warmblood?

Hello all, I did a quick Google search on this but it was unhelpful. My question is can you change a Dutch horse's papered name? I ask as I am looking at a two year old registered Dutch warmblood who happens to have an utterly stupid name. As such I was wondering if I could possibly change it or if I'd have to just suck it up and deal. Thank you in advance for any insight.
    A Native Floridian no longer lost somewhere in Clovis, New Mexico, but instead wreaking havoc in Reno, NV.
    www.theideaoforder.com
    www.xhaltsalute.com

You can do it at a 3 yr old keuring. I know, because I did it once and simplified the horses name. However, this was back in 2003, and perhaps the rules have changed?

Thank you; that's good to know! I'll keep looking to see if there's any more recent info as well.
    A Native Floridian no longer lost somewhere in Clovis, New Mexico, but instead wreaking havoc in Reno, NV.
    www.theideaoforder.com
    www.xhaltsalute.com

Call the office- they are always most helpful. Closed on Fridays, however.
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

Please do the breeder the kindness of giving them the new name so they can keep track. As I a breeder I would prefer no name changes and stipulate that on our sales contracts BUT if it had to be done, I would want to know and try my hardest not to get upset...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sabino Farm View Post
    Please do the breeder the kindness of giving them the new name so they can keep track. As I a breeder I would prefer no name changes and stipulate that on our sales contracts BUT if it had to be done, I would want to know and try my hardest not to get upset...LOL

Totally agree, afterall you can have whatever barn name you want so why is it important to change the registered name? This should remain no matter what for tracking purposes etc.. It's hard enough for U.S. breeders to get any recognition for their stock they bred and all the hard work they put into producing the horse. I also put it in my sales contract as well since we put LJS (prefix or suffix depending on registry rules) on each name to help keep track of them and there is no better advertising for a breeder's program. It's just a respectful thing to do in my opinion. What is the name that is so bad?Just curious.

Default name...

Thank you for all the input! I totally understand wanting to keep registered names intact for tracking and recognition purposes. I've had some pretty horribly named horses before that I just dealt with (a dressage horse named 'Run Holme Tiny' is good for a laugh or two) essentially for the reasons you all noted. This colt, however, being a 2010 model, had to have a named that started with an 'F' and they came up with "For Willy." I guess in looking at it again it isn't really an "utterly stupid" name, but it isn't really what I had in mind for my *it* horse, if that makes any sense (?). In any case, he's a really neat colt and I'm super excited about the possibility of getting my first purpose bred dressage horse, so the name isn't really a huge issue, I was mostly wondering if changing it was even an option.
    www.theideaoforder.com
    www.xhaltsalute.com

A different view from some of the ones above. You bought and paid for the young horse and are going to put a huge amount of time, effort, training and money in that young horse that will end up giving the breeder recognition for their product. I can not speak for all registries but most have a number for the horse and a record of the breeder. That should be enough for the breeder to follow if you and the places you compete are good enough to record it. Plus you can simply notify them of the change.
    Tons of people change the horses names. He is your horse now and you should be comfortable with his name. Hickstead was born with a different name, Spruce Meadows imported a stallion and changed his name, as just a few examples.
    I of course believe breeders should get recognition but changing the horse's name does not preclude that. But also the idea that the person who develops the horse should be respected as well. And if your not comfortable with your horses name I think you should be able to change it if the registry allow. The greatest compliment that you will pay to the breeder is to fulfill the potential of the horse and make sure that not only the breeder is known but also the pedigree.

Stoicfish that is all fine and great, and yes, changing it with the registry will keep the pedigree and breeder information, but they dont keep show records, so if the buyer changes the name and omits all the breeders information when signing them up with their NGB (USEF), then its all gone, poof! New name, no breeder, new eligibility status etc..

I have been lifetime registering my foals, but that still is not a failsafe. I understand people like to change names, but now have decided that I need to pay for the transfer to the new owners name, so that my information can stay with the horse. If they want a name change, that $$ can be on them.

I've always heard that it was bad luck to change a horse's name, so I don't do it. My QH gelding I did the hunters with was named RainbowOverArthur. His barn name was Artie. He was an Artful Move horse, and all those horses have 'Art' somewhere in their name so the breeder can keep track. The other gelding in the barn was Art Too Dee Two. QH people are nuts.

It's a personal choice, though, and if the registry says that it's okay, and you want to then more power to you. I agree that you should tell the breeder so they can keep track of the horse though.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I do the same thing, sixpoundfarm, pay for lifetime registration with usef and usdf and pay for the transfers all in hopes that the new buyer won't change the names. I try not to name them anything weird but of course that is a matter of opinion. I had a PMU Percheron/TB gelding I bought from a dealer years ago as a 2 year old named Chandler...he wasn't registered and the breeder obviously didn't can about recognition, so I changed his name to Boy From Ipanema, barn name Pane. Had him for about 8 years and was respondsible for all his training and beautiful show record with the USEA. Had to sell him and the new owner renamed him Harrison (really?!), it has been impossible to track him now. I only want to make sure he is happy and safe. He was resold again and that person had Buck Davidson showing him as a sale project and last I heard Aaron Vale of FL bought him probably as a practice horse. None of the 3 new owners ever responded to my emails...who knows what happened to him! He was very much loved around here by all the Pony Club girls and if an owner ever responded I was gonna offer a retirement home when the time came. I don't EVER want to go thru that with my babies....it was/is heartbreaking!