The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ISO: Little saddle/ leadline saddle...

.... that isn't hideous and doesn't suck! (oh, and I don't want to pay a fortune)

I want it all, huh?

DD is starting riding and we have a 15" saddle and it's AWFUL. It's the pleather mostrosities that we all "love."

I want brown, leather and looks sort of like a saddle. I'd prefer 12"ish.

Any advice?

p.s. Ran across this little gem on ebay. Don't worry if you missed out on this auction, it comes in blue, purple, etc and this company has about 400 for sale right now... ick!
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

I have had my luck buying them at mobile shops at shows. I got my daughters nice beval 14in one. Unfortunately she has stopped riding for now and I'm selling most of her stuff since she has either already outgrown it or will soon. Also, I can find almost anything if I look long enough on eBay.
    Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
    www.saradanielhaynes.com

Call the Tack Room in Camden, SC. They had some little used saddles last time I was in there. Not sure about sizes or prices. They can probably take a picture for you too.

How old is DD? My girls started in a 14 inch flat saddle-you know the kind we used in the 80's? It fit them and they were four and five when they started. We then got a 14 inch Pessoa when the first daughter was seven.

If you do decide to go bigger than 12, I would look at Beval's used saddle site, eBay, and Middleburg tack exchange. The little Bevals and Pessoas really hold their value so you can easily trade up when she outgrows it.

Good luck and take lots of photos!
    Last edited by Limerick; May. 9, 2012 at 07:19 AM. Reason: IPad wanted to spell "little" in an unconventional way. I did not back down.

I'd keep looking on eBay. I was tasked to find a little saddle for Mom's Almost Grandkids, and ended up with a nice little Stubben for less than $100. Then I found what she really wanted, a little cut back, which came in for $75 (including shipping). Both are very nice, functional saddles. Keep looking, with a little bit of patience you'll find it.

PM sent

I got my DD a collegiate saddle - maybe a 14"? Its not a leadline saddle per se but I added a cheap leather grab strap and it works just as well for her. I had a leadline saddle but I think it hindered her more than anything.

Check out Maryland Saddlery Consignment. They have a website and they are great!

Thanks everyone!

I have a couple "leads" (haha! I hear you all groaning!).

This is exactly what I'm looking for. I guess I should have clarified that DD is almost 4 (next month), ~38 pounds and 39" tall. However, DH is 6'3" and I'm 6", so I'm guessing she's going to be a big girl!

Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!