The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for History

I'm trying to track down my TB's breeding history. All we know is that he was sold at the Keeneland (presumably 2009 Yearling) Sale for a decent amount of money and was then acquired from that buyer by a farm owner after his actual owner stopped paying his board fees. He never raced or went to race training, we believe. The farm owner is very reluctant to give out any additional information. He is a 2008 bay/dby, blaze, snip, 3 socks.

Any suggestions for researching further information? I have a picture of him at 2.5 yr that I can post here once I figure out how.

Thanks!

If he never raced or went into training, there's probably not going to be a whole lot you're going to be able to suss out. If you post his name, some posters here might be able to tell you something, if they knew him.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Keeneland would know if he sold there. Google his registered name with "thoroughbred" and it's possible his sales page would come up. That would give you his breeding. The original breeder is always listed on the equineline pedigree. Registered name is essential in doing TB research.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Well if you know for sure he went through Keeneland that year, there may be photo albums you can go through, if you don't have his registered name (and we're sure he's not tattooed, yes?)

It would be an exhausting effort, probably, but could be done.

There are a lot of sale pics on foaltrack.com (you would need the sale catalogue first, to start looking), and iirc there's at least one photographer who posts pictures of all the sales yearlings every year, it's just a matter of finding the photographer/site.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.