The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sample Trainer Commission (Horse Purchase) Contract?

I'm looking for a sample contract for commission on a horse purchase (client hiring trainer to find horse to buy for client). Agreement would say that client agrees to hire trainer to search for horse to buy for client, AND client would pay trainer 10% commission upon purchase.

Happy to take samples and make my own "version" - just would love some examples to start with!

Client-trainer relationship already exists, as client has been taking lessons from trainer for 2+ years. Just time to find a new horse - and I want the paperwork/documentation in place before either party starts "looking".

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Feel free to PM me if you prefer or have a document you are willing to share.

I will try to get you one tonight; it spells out the purchase and sales comissions, and I just initial by whichever is applicable (so it is only one contract for both).

One thing I will throw out there for folks is that I require earnest money upfront when looking for a horse. This is because I was burned SO BAD by a client that I won't even do so much as a google search without some money upfront. In my case, it is only $250; and if they buy something with me, I deduct it from the final commission. It also makes sure people are serious about buying, and not just tire kickers.
    www.englishivyfarms.com
    Hunters, Jumpers, & Welsh Ponies
    All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day. ~Author Unknown