The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Magnetic Therapy?

Hello, I am posting because my mare suffered a high suspensory injury earlier this spring. She was diagnosed early March with minor tearing and scarring on the upper part of her suspensory ligament. She had 6 weeks in the stall with daily wrapping, and poultice as needed. Two weeks after the diagnosis she received a stem cell injection, and over the course of a month received shock wave therapy as well. She is now being turned out in a very small paddock and we are doing some trot sets (2 min trot, 10 min walk for 30 minutes a day). Now I am trying to find something more long term to help with her heal and keep her sound. I have heard magnetic boots/wraps increase blood flow. I know a suspensory injury is slow to heal in part because lack of blood flow to the area. Would magnetic wraps be worth the expense? I want to give my horse the best change possible of returning to her eventing career.

Also, my mare had calcification/ high ringbone on her ankle on the same leg as the suspensory. She had the calcification since age 3, and it previously did not interfere with the joint. Now, the calcification has grown, and x-ray revealed that the calcification now interferes with the joint. Would magnetic therapy also work on this injury? We have been treating it with DMSO, and will probably inject it if she returns to full work.

If magnetic therapy is a waste of money, is there another treatment that works? Thanks!

Waste of money, waste of money, waste of money. No ifs, ands, or buts. You would be better off asking an expert sport horse vet what treatments might work best for your horse's particular injury. Good luck! Sometimes tincture of time is the best remedy.
    Click here before you buy.

I would get some Back on Track wraps instead, at least there's more chance of BoT doing something positive vs a bunch of magnets.

Cold laser 'may' be helpful, if it's available in your area, you can do a search on here been a few threads about it. Again no cast & stone, but imo more likely to be of help than magnetic therapy.

Complete snake oil.

For many injuries (suspensories among them) there is no substitute for, nor any booster for, Tincture of Time.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I love the Nikken magnets, they have the strength needed to help with this. The elbow wrap for people fits nicely on the cannon bone.
    A good friend, who is an upper level rider/judge and biomechanics expert, and PhD- had a boarder who tore the suspensory in her leg-they did stem cell on it, and magnets, and she said that the magnets worked better at healing than the expensive stem cell treatment.
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

they did stem cell on it, and magnets, and she said that the magnets worked better at healing than the expensive stem cell treatment.
    How could they tell which therapy did what? Using two things at the same time makes it very difficult to sort out when it comes to assessing what worked and what didn't.

They did the stem cell first, then used the magnets-the healing was quicker with the magnets.
    Why do you ALWAYS have to argue about this?
    I'm done arguing, I've used them-THEY WORK...you haven't used them, so you THINK they don't.
    End of story.
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

Maybe it was the passage of time.

I wasn't arguing, simply asking a question.

The declaration that THEY WORK requires a level of evidence that apparently varies from person to person. You may be convinced by the evidence you've seen. I and many others are not. What I think makes no difference whatsoever. I don't make up my mind strictly by personal observation. I've never circumnavigated the earth but I accept that it is spherical. For matters of medical treatment, the level of evidence that I require to convince me is set at a certain level and is way beyond my own observations or that of 10 or 20 other people.. Whatever passes that level, I form the opinion "effective". For that which does not, I use the term "unproven". Medical magnets fit in the latter category thus far. I will change my opinion when the evidence is there. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by MassageLady View Post
    They did the stem cell first, then used the magnets-the healing was quicker with the magnets.
    Why do you ALWAYS have to argue about this?
    I'm done arguing, I've used them-THEY WORK...you haven't used them, so you THINK they don't.
    End of story.
    Not exactly.

There is only one magnetic device in existence that has a proven impact on human tissue: the MRI machine. Have you ever seen one? Experienced a scan? It's a whole lot more than a bunch of small metalic pieces sewn into cloth.

Your experience is anacdote. If you don't know what that is, look it up.

G.

Big electromagnets (that are not MRIs) work, too, in things like fracture healing. But yes, little pitiful refrigerator magnets stuck here and there is about as effective as . . . oh, let's say homeopathy.

Quote Originally Posted by MassageLady View Post
    I love the Nikken magnets, they have the strength needed to help with this. The elbow wrap for people fits nicely on the cannon bone.
    Those strong and cheap bad boys are your solution.

Do a search. This argument has been beaten to death. The basic idea is that a strong magnet takes advantage of the iron in red blood cell's hemoglobin molecules and drags blood to the field. (At least that's the explanation that I make up. And it sounds good.) The basic objection-- also good-- is that the magnet field isn't strong enough to do diddly. My theory may be good, but it's a question of intensity or scale.

But a cheap roll of Nikkon magnets some popsicle sticks and duct tape is the way to cut the Gordian knot. Assemble those and make your own patch. The popsicle sticks are there to make the patch semi-stiff; otherwise the magnets wad the whole thing up into a mess you can't peel apart.

Make the patch in any size/shape you want. Bend or break the popsicle sticks to make the patch follow the contours you want. Put it where you want under a polo wrap for maybe an hour or so a day.

Things will get warm under the patch. Naysayers will claim you just trapped body heat under the duct tape and wrap. I like my hot swamp of blood theory better.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Those strong and cheap bad boys are your solution.

Do a search. This argument has been beaten to death. The basic idea is that a strong magnet takes advantage of the iron in red blood cell's hemoglobin molecules and drags blood to the field. (At least that's the explanation that I make up. And it sounds good.) The basic objection-- also good-- is that the magnet field isn't strong enough to do diddly. My theory may be good, but it's a question of intensity or scale.

But a cheap roll of Nikkon magnets some popsicle sticks and duct tape is the way to cut the Gordian knot. Assemble those and make your own patch. The popsicle sticks are there to make the patch semi-stiff; otherwise the magnets wad the whole thing up into a mess you can't peel apart.

Make the patch in any size/shape you want. Bend or break the popsicle sticks to make the patch follow the contours you want. Put it where you want under a polo wrap for maybe an hour or so a day.

Things will get warm under the patch. Naysayers will claim you just trapped body heat under the duct tape and wrap. I like my hot swamp of blood theory better.

Uh, then in a MRI it should RIP OUT the blood in your body given the magnetic fields are 1,000 to 1,000,000 times more powerful.

I am sorry, but the logic you use is not supported by the facts.

It is trapped heat.

As to the OP, what do you hope to do? Stop calcification? If so you will need to counter fundamental PHYSICS/THERMODYNAMICS. Calcification is the thermodynamic tendency for calcium to precipitate out of solution to a more stable form. To reverse, you will need to upregulate resorption via osteoclastic activity (e.g. INCREASE inflammation to catabolize the damages tissues).

Reed

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Big electromagnets (that are not MRIs) work, too, in things like fracture healing. But yes, little pitiful refrigerator magnets stuck here and there is about as effective as . . . oh, let's say homeopathy.
    Yes, I'm familiar with the TENS units and things like that. I think they work more on small, electrical currents not "magnetic fields."

You can "cook" stuff with a powerful radar, but those are microwave energy not "magnetic forces." The claimants for "magnetic" effectiveness just don't understand the science involved.

G.

Yes, I'm familiar with the TENS units and things like that. I think they work more on small, electrical currents not "magnetic fields."
    I'm not talking about TENS units. I do understand the science. Actual electromagnetic coils work in experimental fracture models and have been used to speed fracture healing time in really terrible trauma cases when the patient is immobilized anyway. Too impractical for regular use in mobile people, and fast healing of fractures is not necessarily optimal anyhow (or at least not that we know of). Faster may not be better!

The data are far from superlative and it is so unwieldy and impractical that it is not really used other than in exceptional cases, but it DOES have at least some efficacy. But we're talking really large, electric coils, not little fridge magnets.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21669132

I think they work more on small, electrical currents not "magnetic fields."
    Not sure if this is useful information but...I recall from Physics class that you cannot have an electric current without an accompanying magnetic field.

Ack. Physics. *fizzle* <--sound coming from DW's head.

Where is the like button?
    friend of bar*ka

Quote Originally Posted by OTTBs View Post
    Not sure if this is useful information but...I recall from Physics class that you cannot have an electric current without an accompanying magnetic field.
    True enough. But the amount of both is very small and from all the research I've been able to read or do (including an informal discussion with an Orthopaedic Surgeon) it's the current that does the job.

I was unaware of the other device mentioned that has some effect on healing fractures. But, as noted, it's like the MRI machine in that it uses honking big magnets, not little pieces sewn into cloth. Those remain the domain of the charletain and the fraudster.

Or a soccer mom putting kids school project on the front of her refrigerator.

G.