The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Finding a US purpose bred quality young horse

Cross posting this from the eventing forum

Anyone have any suggestions?

Would need a fair amount of TB. Love my OTTBs but looking for something comparable to what you can get overseas (is this even possible?) Just don't know where to look. I can afford the type of horse you can get in Europe, but can't afford it once shipping and quarantine is tacked on. Thanks!

contact sue ockendon in quebec - she is located at bromont and is the secretary for the events there. she helped us find a beautiful han/tb filly last year and i know she has lots of youngsters.

Check out Trendsetter
    http://www.belltowerstud.com/
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

What do you mean by young? Under saddle or unbroken or weanling?

I checked your post under eventing and agree with Phyllis Dawson, though now that Windstar has passed she may have less youngsters available.
    www.teamwindchase.com

I came across this breeding farm when looking for Grafenstolz youngsters. I wish I could have gotten to Galveston before he sold! They've got some other beautiful event bred youngsters for sale and I would imagine some super ones being born right about now. I think most (or all) of their broodmares have competed through at least Prelim. http://cngsporthorses.com/index.html

Young being started under saddle- 3-6 yrs

Contact me in SE Pa.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I don't know if Denny Emerson is still doing what he does, but he certainly bred and started to produce young event horses, and he's gone to adding other to TB to keep abreast of where eventing is now and where he thinks its going.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Smile

Although I don't breed too many, and don't have any for sale right how, I'd like to think that I am breeding quality purpose bred horses who have done quite well in eventing.
    A Fine Romance has a number of lovely youngsters out there - in the US and Canada - with his largest crops still under 6 yrs old. I do get contacted by people looking for youngsters and am happy and pleased to pass on the information.

In fact, I know of a couple right now including one beautiful filly who is for sale up here, whose trainer feels is an UL prospect for sure, and another gorgeous young gelding Hol X in TX.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    another gorgeous young gelding Hol X in TX.....
    What? Is that the horse I think it is? Why can't I for the life of me remember the owners COTH handle? How did he turn out anyway? I have wondered about that horse.

To the OP, good luck. I have found if a young horse is quality at all the price shoots up the minute someone sits their butt on them. I am starting to think that is why so many people go to Europe. Finding a nice 3-5 year old that is lightly started and started correctly is hard enough in this country. Finding one with less than a 25k price tag is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Our program is purpose bred sport horses, raised right and started under saddle correctly. Several have went on to successful careers in Eventing, Hunters and Dressage.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    What? Is that the horse I think it is? Why can't I for the life of me remember the owners COTH handle? How did he turn out anyway? I have wondered about that horse.

To the OP, good luck. I have found if a young horse is quality at all the price shoots up the minute someone sits their butt on them. I am starting to think that is why so many people go to Europe. Finding a nice 3-5 year old that is lightly started and started correctly is hard enough in this country. Finding one with less than a 25k price tag is like finding a needle in a haystack.
    This!

I have a good friend who has been looking for many months, and this is exactly what she has encountered. There are probably more prospects to choose from up in Canada, but it's not exactly practical to schlepp up there! One would think that there would be many more in the heart of "Horse Country" that is this area of VA., but alas, no. And she has been beating the bushes, scouring the breeder's websites, putting out feelers, etc. She has looked at about 6 or 7 in person that looked good on paper, but just didn't fit the bill for various reasons (and has traveled to NC, MD, PA); she considered going to look at one in FLA, but again--a hike! One would think there would be more prospects available locally, since there are certainly enough smaller WB breeders out there. Also, they often don't have recent video clips of the horses who are started U/S, and no jump chute video--providing both would be very helpful for serious buyers, enabling them to screen prospects more thoroughly, thereby saving everyone wasted time.
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

[edit] email me if you would like to know more. sparlingrock2@hotmail.com

As a side note, I know many 1,2, and 3 * eventers that were full Holsteiners. They don't need to be a cross. Have you heard of Lady Calido? How about this article?

http://useventing.com/news/three-hol...-championships

Tim
    Last edited by Moderator 1; May. 14, 2012 at 08:06 AM.
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com

Finding a nice 3-5 year old that is lightly started and started correctly is hard enough in this country. Finding one with less than a 25k price tag is like finding a needle in a haystack.
    And you know why? Because it costs a lot -- a lot -- to produce a young horse to age 3-5 in the US or Canada. Even more if you bred it yourself.

If you're in the breeding business or the buying-young-and-producing-to-sell business, you don't let the good ones go cheap. You have the less talented or more difficult ones to take up that end of the price points.

I have a talented, handsome, intelligent, 16.2hh OTTB who is now 4. I paid very little for him as a long 2YO. He spent one year with me growing up and doing basics. He is now in Southern Pines to do some YEH and starter HTs, in an environment where he can be busier than my home location has to offer. He is certainly well- and carefully-started, by some very capable hands.

In other words, I've taken great care to do right by this horse. But if you think that comes without a price tag, you're not part of the reality-based community.

I agree it's a shame we can't pick up quality youngsters for a song. It's also a shame that we can't recognize the value of years of experience or hours of care and training.

Quote Originally Posted by RyTimMick View Post
    As a side note, I know many 1,2, and 3 * eventers that were full Holsteiners. They don't need to be a cross.
    They do need to have a significant amount of TB blood at the higher levels. You can point to the occasional outlier at CCI*** but it's misleading to say that TB blood (whether within the Holsteiner breeding or from crosses) is not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by GPD123 View Post
    Cross posting this from the eventing forum

Anyone have any suggestions?

Would need a fair amount of TB. Love my OTTBs but looking for something comparable to what you can get overseas (is this even possible?) Just don't know where to look. I can afford the type of horse you can get in Europe, but can't afford it once shipping and quarantine is tacked on. Thanks!
    I think the problem is that sometimes smaller breeders are overlooked. There are LOTS of quality youngsters out there. But sometimes you just have to look and ask. Check out Integrity Sporthorses here: http://www.integritysporthorses.com

Check out DeBracy Sporthorses here: http://www.debracysporthorses.com/De...rses/Home.html

Both of the above use a goodly amount of TB in their breeding programs . Good luck in your search!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    And you know why? Because it costs a lot -- a lot -- to produce a young horse to age 3-5 in the US or Canada. Even more if you bred it yourself.
    Well, I'm just saying that's why people go overseas. Better average quality, 50 times the amount of horses to see, and sometimes half the price or even less. And I am still so confused why one can buy quality youngsters of all kinds of breeds out there for so much less, but somehow a WB costs 10 times the amount for a breeder to raise.

I can simply see why a person would take the thousands of dollars it would take to travel this continent looking for the needle in a haystack, and put it towards importation costs instead. Hell, last time I shopped for a horse I spent over $5000 on vet checks.

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

American Saddlebred Sport Horses.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...kywaredeca.jpg

This gelding was one that I found as a two year old, and he wound up with his wonderful owner, who competed him, and rode with Phillip Dutton.

They'll kill themselves to please you, most jump like stags, and they have the athleticism to lay down a great dressage test.

We're like the undiscovered country- because everyone sees the "Peacock of the Show Ring" which makes up less than ten percent of the breed, they do NOT see these fabulous prospects for what they are- FABULOUS PROSPECTS!
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

And I am still so confused why one can buy quality youngsters of all kinds of breeds out there for so much less, but somehow a WB costs 10 times the amount for a breeder to raise.
    I am not sure I see where you are finding the quality youngsters for cheap. Tb's cost waaay more to breed than most wb's BUT if they fail at their purpose (racing) they become a by-product. Hence the cheap prices. But don't kid yourself, someone lost a ton of money on that horse. QH's? The ones that are bred with the same care as many WB breeders do are very expensive. The mass produced, ranch horses - not so much. But by all means, if they suit your purpose go ahead.
    As far as "other" breeds, they are unique to their own market but I will say that if they are in demand, the prices will be higher and if they are not, then the prices are lower. But it is for an animal that is not in demand.....
    You can buy a really nice bred foal for 8-10k. If you throw in the cost of the quality broodmare, vet fees, and stud fees and a small amount for the breeders time and knowledge, and farm - you are at that amount.
    I would rather buy my next horse, even at those prices. The cost of breeding is really that high plus the outcome is not guaranteed. But the biggest thing is if I add in my own time, it is not worth it at all. Most breeders work for less than minimum wage at the end of the day. It is a "job" of passion rather then profit.

And I am still so confused why one can buy quality youngsters of all kinds of breeds out there for so much less, but somehow a WB costs 10 times the amount for a breeder to raise.

They don't cost more to raise, they are worth more. They do however cost more to show and compete here then in Europe.

Tim
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com

Amen, stoicfish...."I would rather buy my next horse, even at those prices. The cost of breeding is really that high plus the outcome is not guaranteed. But the biggest thing is if I add in my own time, it is not worth it at all. Most breeders work for less than minimum wage at the end of the day. It is a "job" of passion rather then profit.[/QUOTE]"

And that is the truth - especially for event breeding....