The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Music to ride to

Hey guys. I have often heard that schooling while music is playing is a good thing to do sometimes. I would assume that it helps establish the base of the training scale: Rhythm. Having some speakers in my arena has opened me up a lot to this.
    What music do you guys ride to, or would ride to?
    I have had a lot of fun with some orchestral stuff, a la Dvorak's cello concerto, some Elgar, and a little Stravinsky. Also some electric/ Dubstep. What are your thoughts?

I think a lot of it depends on what you would like to achieve. I think riding to music gives you another way to learn to ride on feel instead of thinking too hard. You can change what you are doing, gait, pace, etc. according to whatever the music dictates.

If you are looking to focus on rhythm, then Mozart would be great. Haydn would also work too. The Clock Symphony comes to mind as one that would be fun to ride to. The Bach Cantatas are also great for working on rhythm. One of these days I'd love to do a freestyle to Cantata 140. (Wachet Auf)
    There are enough changes to the tempo, but still steady in rhythm that you could easily work on transitions between w/t/c...

On the other hand, if you'd like to improve your ability to make quick changes between very different movements or gaits then Rachmaninoff piano works would be awesome!! There are a couple of preludes from either Op. 23 or 32 where you go from passages that are very tranquil to something explosive and quite dramatic.