Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Previcox and USEF rules?

Hi - Does anyone know how much Previcox a 1200 pound horse could have prior to a USEF rated show? I have heard that they can't have any at all and then I have heard that as long as they have only one pill or dose at least 12 hours prior to showing that they would be within the legal limit allowed if drug tested? Any information would be helpful, I am not looking to go to a rated show with an illegal horse, thanks!

Previcox per say is not legal. Equioxx is the only approved formulation of firocoxib for use in horses.
    For Equioxx, a 1,000# horse can have 45.5 mg orally up to 12 hr prior to competition. (45.5 mg/1,000# = 0.1 mg/kg)

Regarding Previcox though....
    1) I don't know what size pill you are using.
    2) I don't know if the bioavailablity of firocoxib in the pill form is the same in the horse as the paste formulation of Equioxx
    3) Since I don't know if the bioavailability is the same, I also don't know if the pharmocokinetics, ie the half life and duration of the pill formulation, of the pill is the same as the paste formulation.

If want to take your chances and ASSUME that 45.5 mg of Previcox = 45.5 mg of Equioxx, then you can give it up to 12 hr prior to competition.

I would contact the USEF meds department for any questions regarding medicating prior to a competition.
    friend of bar*ka

The answer I gave is basically the answer you will get from them.
    Previcoxx is not an approved drug for horses.

Go to http://www.usef.org/issuu/flipbook.a...elines2012.pdf. See the bottom of page 7. "Caution is urged when using compounded medications with varying administration routes not specified above. Only the above administation routes with non-compounded medications have been evaluated for the dose and time recommendations."

Previcox is not a compounded drug. I'm not sure I understand your citation.

The USEF may test for the active ingredient in Previcox/Equioxx which is firocoxib.

45.5 mg of Equioxx = 45.5 mg of Previcox = 45.5 mg of firocoxib.
    friend of bar*ka

Quote Originally Posted by Addison View Post
    Previcox is not a compounded drug. I'm not sure I understand your citation.

The drug test is for the active ingredient which is firocoxib.
    The administration & uptake of firocoxib may be different between Equioxx & Previcox.

IOW, giving a 57mg pill of Previcox versus 57mg worth of Equioxx paste may have different plasma concentrations & half life of firocoxib

So, by using Previcox instead of Equioxx, you shouldn't be cited for a forbidden substance (assuming USEF rules, not FEI), but you are taking a chance with being over the therapeutic level of 45.5/1000# because of the reasons Meghan cited.

The half life does not change as that is a property of the drug (firocoxib) not the "carrier"/pill or paste.
    friend of bar*ka

Neither formulation has a time release component which might change the metabolism and therefore the plasma concentration.
    However, there is a difference in the means of administration. It seems like USEF probably does not want to state one way or the other, as research has not been done on Previcoxx administration, and absorption, in horses. They are not going to extrapolate. Or condone any type of off-label use of a drug, I would imagine.

Therefore, the OP is here, asking for COTH opinions.

I advised the OP to contact the USEF Meds Department because the rules change quite frequently and are not always easy to understand.
    friend of bar*ka

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    They are not going to extrapolate. Or condone any type of off-label use of a drug, I would imagine.

Therefore, the OP is here, asking for COTH opinions.
    It's not off label use of a drug, it's illegal use of a drug.

See GR410, the list of NSAIDs are listed by drug/generic names not by brand name.

The tests measure the drug levels not the brand name levels.
    friend of bar*ka

The half life does not change as that is a property of the drug (firocoxib) not the "carrier"/pill or paste.
    Formulation can and does change the half life of a product. Route of administration can also change that. The excipients used for the paste are likely different that those used with the pill, and may change the bioavailability, absorption and clearance of the API (in this case firocoxib). The problem is, no one knows for sure so you are taking a risk that concentrations in your horse may be above "acceptable" limits when using previcox vs. equioxx.

I understand formulation may change the bio availability of a product .

I am referring specifically to firocoxib.

There have been many studies regarding the use of "Previcox" in horses by the drug manufacturer Merial.

Equioxx was originally named Previcox Paste.

The formula was tested and refined using conventional pharmaceutical excipients and "Equioxx" was the result.
    friend of bar*ka

Thanks for all of the helpful information, I appreciate it! I wasn't going to give him any at all, but after reading more about it I think I will be safe giving him half a pill with his dinner the night before the show. I'm not showing until the last class of the day and the pill only lasts for 24 hours so I think I will be fine even if I was to give him the entire pill but I guess it's better to be safe then sorry I have also heard that there are cheaper forms of Previcox safe to give to horses, has anyone ever used them or looked into them?

http://voices.yahoo.com/a-cheaper-su...x-4060967.html

I understand formulation may change the bio availability of a product .

I am referring specifically to firocoxib.

There have been many studies regarding the use of "Previcox" in horses by the drug manufacturer Merial.

Equioxx was originally named Previcox Paste.

The formula was tested and refined using conventional pharmaceutical excipients and "Equioxx" was the result.

So they did studies with the pill in horses? (not the paste) Just curious, as I would want to see the data after they gave the actual pill form to the horses. Could you point me to that data? Thanks.

Merial research from 2007 ….I know nothing about cutting and pasting but I will try to find the citations if I can't copy the link here.
    friend of bar*ka

Merial research from 2007 ….I know nothing about cutting and pasting but I will try to find the citations if I can't copy the link here.
    And speaking of cutting and pasting, with some pills, splitting them will change how the drug is delivered or released and hence absorbed.

Smile

Very Good,Meghan DACVA.

Please check your PMs
    friend of bar*ka

Addison, Meghan DACVA-

I'm interested in reading up on the Merial research . . . would you be able to direct me to that literature?

Also, curious aout how spliting pills changes the absorption/delivery process. How might that (or would that?) impact effectiveness?

Have a horse that seems to like equioxx, and have some interest in previcox.

Any info. you can share is much appreciated!