The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bell boots for sensitive horse help

What won't rub ultra sensitive horse will keep shoe on?? *Oh and one he can't chew off? *Help. I am going to buy a temporary from a friend tonight but need a good pair

The only bell boot that does all you ask for are the ones from Veredus. Extremelly good quality and are "tied" to the hoof itself so its impossible to take of, while barely not touch the skin.

They have one inconvenient, they're extremely expensive!

Have you tried some good soft gum rubber pull on bell boots?

Never had them rub, not velcro etc for the horse to grab.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Have you tried some good soft gum rubber pull on bell boots?

Never had them rub, not velcro etc for the horse to grab.
    Depends on the horse, my horse rips chunks of those out when left on 24/7, he just chews on them whether they have velcro or not!

Try the Eskadron sheepskin lined ones- my super sensitive guy loves them, and they've lasted the longest out of the many brands that I have tried.

My easily rubbed TB likes the Professional's Choice No-Turn ballistic bellboots. They have not rubbed him at all.

I have an OTTB with super sensitive skin. Every bell would rub him raw. The ONLY bell boots that have ever worked on him are the Walsh fleece top w/ double velcro closure:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/walsh-...ots-7905p.aspx

He never gets a rub from these and he doesn't pull them off because of the double velcro (although he has tried ). And they wash easily too (the fleece does tend to get wonky from mud) .

Quote Originally Posted by Claddagh View Post
    I have an OTTB with super sensitive skin. Every bell would rub him raw. The ONLY bell boots that have ever worked on him are the Walsh fleece top w/ double velcro closure:

He never gets a rub from these and he doesn't pull them off because of the double velcro (although he has tried ). And they wash easily too (the fleece does tend to get wonky from mud) .
    Those look nice but my only concern would be him chewing them off. And could they be left on 24 hours a day. sadly he throws his shoe without bell boots and he needs the shoe

What about wrapping the hoof with Vetwrap? Its not the most practical thing but you could put it only around the hoof without touching the skin!Pass it under the shoe a couple of times, so it won't come up, and then reinforce with metalic tape (you can buy it in hardware stores, its a tape thats stronger than the normal kind). Voilá!

Quote Originally Posted by Fharoah View Post
    Those look nice but my only concern would be him chewing them off. And could they be left on 24 hours a day. sadly he throws his shoe without bell boots and he needs the shoe
    I don't know about 24/7. I never needed to leave them on all the time, just for turnout. Thankfully now he's barefoot and has beautiful, strong feet so I rarely put the bells on. Is your guy out all the time or does he spend time in a stall but needs the bells in there too to preserve the shoe?

I think for leaving them on 24/7, I'd get a few pairs. That way if they get muddy/dirty you can just swap them for a clean pair. I know that mud on the fleece is a *no-go* with my horse (he'll get a rub from the mud).

And as far a chewing them... my horse never actually got them off (but he did manage to open the *first* velcro occasionally but didn't get the second one open so the boots stayed on). I guess it all depends on how determined your horse will be in trying to get them off, or just playing with them.

I know how frustrating it is to need the protection of the bell boots and then have them put sores on sensitive skin! These worked well for me but as with everything, "your mileage may vary".

Quote Originally Posted by dwblover View Post
    My easily rubbed TB likes the Professional's Choice No-Turn ballistic bellboots. They have not rubbed him at all.
    These rubbed my TB absolutely raw in one short ride. I like Walsh velco bell boots with fleece at the top. Davis bellboots actually have also been fine on my horse for turnout.

Quote Originally Posted by Claddagh View Post

Ha! I didn't even see your post first, but these are the bells I was referring to also!