The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default South Jersey 12 y.o. TB Gelding, 16 Hands

Looking for someone to Free Lease a 16 Hand, 12 y.o. TB Gelding. Horse is sound with normal joint maintenance and is ready to ride and compete now. He spent the last 5-6 years eventing with a Junior from BN to T level and has a verifiable USEA record. I am his original owner who bought the horse from the track and started his event career. He was sold to a Junior rider who recently went to college and gave the horse back to me as she could not take him with her. I am not looking to sell him again as I want to make sure that he has me as his back up safety when it is time for him to retire, but I would like someone to ride and enjoy him (and pick up his bills!) in the meantime.

Great ground manners, ties, bathes, clips, self loads and travels well. His behavior is the same at home or away and he hacks out nicely alone or in company. Wears a snaffle all 3 phases, is an easy, safe and honest jumper xc and sj and has an automatic lead change. Overall a pretty quiet and easy horse to ride.

BUT

He is an opportunistic cribber. I have his feed tub on the ground and electric wire on the top of my fences with no available wooden surfaces for him so he does not wear a cribbing collar at my place. When he has something to grab onto, he will crib but can be controlled with a collar.

ALSO

He came back to me a bit nappy and needs someone to continue to work that out of him. He will throw in some crow hops and bucks to try to get out of going forward. I pull his head to one side to stop the behavior and then push him forward and he goes right back to work, but I believe that this behavior would scare a rider who was not prepared to sit it and then put him back to work. Unfortunately, I only have time to ride him 2, maybe 3, times a week as he is not my top priority horse. When he was in consistant work with me before he went to his Junior rider, he did not display this behavior. He currently is reasonably fit and is hacking, jumping and doing some dressage work. Additionally, he has gone out xc schooling twice this year and did not bat an eye at anything as he is well experienced.

If you are interested in him, please contact me and tell me what you want to do with him and I will tell you more about him.
    Annabelle Mayr, Arcadia Farm
    Home of Fitz, Max, Daeo & Austria
    Now over the Rainbow Bridge: Finn, Jake & Seamus

Default More Info

He would be very happy as a dressage horse as well. He does have nice gaits and never scores below 7 on the Collective Marks for Gaits and is the only horse I have ever scored a 9 on a movement with (trot work in the Novice tests). He knows his basic lateral work, i.e. shoulder-in, haunches-in, leg yield, turn on haunches at walk. He also goes forward and comes back easily for trot and canter lengthenings.

While he will do an automatic lead change on course if you just change direction, he will also hold a counter canter if asked and will do a flying change on a straight line if asked.

hi there,

Would you let him go to ma? What is the extent of his joint maintenance? If you have photo and video that'd be great.

I would consider letting him go to MA for the right situation bu I really would prefer him to be closer so that I could check on him to make sure that he is doing well in new situation.

He has his hocks injected annually and is maintained on a monthly shot of Adequan or a good quality daily oral joint supplement.

Please PM me your email address for photos.