The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Jingles for my old lady kitty - RIP Maggie

I think we are at the end of the line tonight. Sadly, she was diagnosed with kidney failure a few months ago.

I have been out of town the past couple of weeks - 2 weeks before I left she had a kidney infection that seemed to be cleared up by antibiotics. Left notes with the pet sitter to call if anything seemed odd.

When I came back yesterday, my dining room was FULL of cat waste, both kinds. The rug, the floor, it was so gross. I don't know how the pet sitter could have missed it! I'm pretty sure Maggie didn't eat while I was gone or not much at any rate. She's a sack of bones. Called the vet this morning and he wanted to try the antibiotics again. My gut was it was time - she wouldn't eat breakfast. She wouldn't eat lunch. I'm force feeding her now but she's so weak tonight.

Maggie picked me out at our local shelter - she pawed me on my arm as I stood by her cage bawling beause I was overwhelmed by all the cats. She picked me. I never regretted it as she is the sweetest cat I've ever come across. Not a mean bone in her body.

I'm hoping she can make it through the night but I don't think she can. I'd like my vet to do this but I won't let her suffer.

Jingles/prayers please for Maggie. Her picture is in my profile picture.
    Last edited by reefy!; May. 15, 2012 at 04:20 PM.
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

Maggie is so beautiful with those black-rimmed eyes. Praying for you both tonight and hoping you will have more time together. Take comfort in knowing that after she chose you, you gave her a wonderful life.

Maggie is lovely. Sending jingles/prayers and good wishes for an outcome that brings peace and no pain. Hugs to you.

Sooooo sorry to hear this about your kitty Reefy!!

If it's best, I hope she'll bounce back and you two can enjoy some more time together, but if not I wish you a peaceful parting and comfort in the knowledge that you gave your friend a great home and life.

You are among friends who have been in that Crappy Place before. Hang in there girl.

Default Hugs!

Sending hugs and prayers for you both!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Jingles for your beautiful girl, Reefy. Been there very recently myself.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Default JINGLES & AO ~ FOR MAGGIE ~ THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS AND HUGS FOR ALL ~

MAGGIE IS LOVELY ~

THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS AND HUGS FOR ALL ~

JINGLES & AO ~

JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ ALWAYS OPTIMISTIC ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

reefy! is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Well, last night has come and gone. I think she needed food and water. I don't know why she wouldn't eat all day but she basically fell over on the kitchen floor.

The forced water/food combo must have helped a little. Maybe she ws dehydrated or low on blood sugar? At any rate, late in the night she suddenly jumped off the bed to go eat. She ate and drank AND used her litter box during the night (I kept her in the bedroom with me). She's not perky yet but she's back to her 'don't hold me/I'll come to you' self again. She got another dose of antibiotics last night so maybe that's knocking out whatever has caused this.

I think we're running out of 9 lives but I was pretty certain she would not make it through the night. Step one done, we made it. Outside of my prior horse, I've not been responsible for being the one to decide it's time. The horse was cut and dry, no decision except to let him go. This one is SO up and down.

Here's to a good Tuesday and THANK YOU all for thinking good thoughts for my Maggie. She'll be 17-ish the end of this month (I got her the end of May 2000) so I've loved her a long time.

That is fantastic!!!

Amazing what they can bounce back from after seemingly (or actually!) being near death.

Best wishes for continued improvement! Maybe Maggie has ten lives.

Original Poster

Well, we tried. Poor Maggie, her appetite is better but overall, she is not. She perked up for a few days last week, we gave her a Vit B12 shot on Friday and that really helped. Then she kind of went downhill from there.

She will not use the litterbox, she'll go beside it, in front of it, around it but won't go IN it. I gave her a dose of cyproheptadine Saturday night and it made her lethargic and weak, so I think it was hard for her to use the litter box. Didn't give her anymore but she had a really bad night last night - I'm not positive but I think she may have had a seizure. She's restless and not herself.

I called today to make our appointment for tomorrow. The vet will come here and I'll let her go.

Making the hardest decision is the greatest gift you can give an animal. Have you tried sub q fluids? That is something that is cheap that you can do yourself so she doesn't have to be stressed by going to the vet. Hopefully it will perk her up a little and get her through until tomorrow.

Oh Reefy, so very very sorry. You are doing the best thing for her, it is a gift. Hope she'll find my Simon boy on the other side of the bridge.

So sad you're facing this and I totally understand, but to me: when the outcome will be the same whether the passing is granted today, tomorrow or the next day, let them pass before it gets worse. Tis self-less love that allows us to give them the gift of a gentle passing.

(( Hugs ))
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    So sad you're facing this and I totally understand, but to me: when the outcome will be the same whether the passing is granted today, tomorrow or the next day, let them pass before it gets worse. Tis self-less love that allows us to give them the gift of a gentle passing.

(( Hugs ))
    AMEN.

Default I'm so sorry!

I'm so sorry! I've had to make that decision too many times and it is never easy, even when you know it's the right one. I have a 13 yo cat who was diagosed with kidney issues 3 years ago. Her appetite has decreased and her numbers have gotten worse recently so I know it's just a matter of time before I'm in your shoes. Sending hugs!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Will be thinking of Maggie and you and sending warm thoughts and hugs.

I have had a couple of geriatric kidney cats and here is what I find works for me.

Give fluids under the skin. Fairly easy to do, you can get the lactated ringers from your vet and they will show you how, very common for people to do to help their kidney cats. Sometimes the fluids are all they need to jump start them again, sometimes they instantly feel better and will want to eat right away. Sometimes they have to have them on a regular basis, just depends but maybe worth a try. I have a twenty year old cat right now that all he needs is sub. fluids once in awhile. I do the skin test above the withers to see if he is dehydrated (just like we do the pinch test on horses to test for dehydration) and is in need.

I buy NF canned food from my vet. Made by Purina and is a perscription food. Cats seem to like it better than the Science Diet KD. My cat will not eat it alone, so I make a soupy food with one half can NF and one half can Fancy Feast Beef variety. Classic Beef is supposed to be less sodium. Your cat may eat the NF by itself, some do.

I also make a broth of slippery elm (health food store) and add that to the mixture of canned food. Slippery elm forms a coating for the stomach and has immune boosting properties (although I`m not sure about the immune boosting) and keeps the cat from getting a bad stomach, which will discourage them from eating. I serve it warm and it helps get moisture into him. He loves his soup.

Here are some websites you might want to look at.

http://www.felinecrf.org/diagnosis.htm

www.shirleyswellnesscafe.org

So sorry about your kitty. Big hugs!

Reefy, So very sorry that it is time to say goodbye. Maggie & you had some more time together and for that I know you are grateful. It is never easy to make that decision to release them but it is the last kindness we can do for our pets. My eldest cat has also bounced back a few times and we always hope they will just keep doing so. Hugs to you and Maggie. Try to remember all the joy she has brought you during your years together. Bless You Both.

Original Poster

Well this was a terribly hard day. She had a really good night last night so that was a blessing for us both.

The vet came and she went very peacefully. She's well and whole again. My heart is not.

"I have felt perpetual gratitude to heaven for having given me, in you, a source of so much pure and unmixed happiness" Thomas Jefferson
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maggie in the sun.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	35596   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maggie.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	35597