The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

This came through on my email, so I thought I'd share it with everyone. I think it starts at 6:30.

Subject: Horse Slaughter Story to Air on CBS Evening News this Wednesday
    June 16, on the CBS Evening News with Dan Rather.

Ferdinand was a former Kentucky Derby winner...but did the prize-winning
    horse and thousands of others deserve what happened to them after they
    crossed the finish line? That story on Wednesday's CBS Evening News with
    Dan Rather.

This came through on my email, so I thought I'd share it with everyone. I think it starts at 6:30.

Subject: Horse Slaughter Story to Air on CBS Evening News this Wednesday
    June 16, on the CBS Evening News with Dan Rather.

Ferdinand was a former Kentucky Derby winner...but did the prize-winning
    horse and thousands of others deserve what happened to them after they
    crossed the finish line? That story on Wednesday's CBS Evening News with
    Dan Rather.

Thanks for the info. I'm bummed I'll miss it. Wish I had TIVO!!!
    If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cats.

Ugh - CBS News. The days of the Tiffany Network being anything more then a sensationalistic CNN-chasing wannabe are long gone.

(And for the record, I have friends who are news reporters for CBS!)

Well, lets hope for the best, but I'm sure you will hear the exploitive "while this fate might not befall the beloved Smarty Jones [cue images of the crowds cheering Smart at Derby] there are others less fortunate" ...

I really would love to see (and maybe they will in their piece) a segment that says slaughter has been a fact of life even back in the days of Man O War and yet today a lot of organization are making a difference. CANTER, Old Friends, TRF, et al. Then show the New York State prisoners who are rehabilitated like the horses they care for.

One of the best articles done in years: NY Times 8/10/03 "Partners, Horse and Man, in Prison Pasture"

Just what I was thinking, KJ...

I was also thinking that it sounds as though it will be racehorse-centric piece, and I doubt they will mention that the racing industry is one of the smallest "contributors" to slaughter and one of the few equine industries doing so much to help retirees...
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Ditto. Dan Blather......
    "There's a fine line between genius and madness. I've removed that line." -Super Genius/me

This was a really good segment, they interviewed Nick Zito and local trainer Gail Vacca, who have been working to end slaughter.

It's up on the CBS website now:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in623549.shtml

Sorry, jrstark, I beg to differ.

Slaughter causes horses as a species to have a mistrust of man? Surely, they could have put together a better clip than that...one with a more believable argument. It ended up making the IL slaughterhouse manager even more credible, IMO.

I liked the bits with Nick Zito, though.

And what a neat thin strip that chestnut has!

Thought the segment was decent for the amount of time that they had... Nick Zito especially http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

I do wish that instead of talking about horses in human terms they had talked to one of the veterinarians or rescue workers opposed to the bills so they could talk about rescue infrastructure and what would be necessary to have in place before a slaughter ban could work.

But then again, they only had about thirty seconds, so... *shrug*

My CANTER blog.

I don't know much about what happens to the horses once they get to the slaughterhouse. I can only imagine the horrors, and therefore chose to stay ignorant to the issue. However, I think they could have done a better representation of what these horses truly go through, from the auction to slaughter. The horrors of the hauling and treatment these animals witness in the last hours of their lives. Whether they miss often or not when they kill the horses, the horrors these animals have been victim to in the last hours of their lives are undeniabley unacceptable and inhumane.

We as equine community must do all we can to end this senseless inhumanity. Whether it be adopting rescue horses (our farm currently has 8, ranging from a one eyed Amish draft horse to a Japanese bred OTTB to a mini), contributing to anti-slaughter groups, or writing our local and state representatives, it is important that we all make our voices heard.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Barnfairy:
    Sorry, jrstark, I beg to differ.

Slaughter causes horses as a species to have a mistrust of man? Surely, they could have put together a better clip than that...one with a more believable argument. It ended up making the IL slaughterhouse manager even more credible, IMO.

I liked the bits with Nick Zito, though.

And what a neat thin strip that chestnut has! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Read that quote again Barnfairy, she said it is a betrayal, nothing about how the horses feel.

That's the first time I've heard Tucker called "credible."

You know, you look at those horses being unloaded off of that trailer, quite a few being very decent-looking horses, and wonder why in the world anyone would breed a hum-drum horse just because they have a stallion and a mare. Why not go to an auction and save one of THOSE poor horses?

Makes me sick, really.
    -The Girl With Endoscope Eyes

jrstark, I did read the (Vacca) quote from the CBS News Slaughter Segment, and here's what the report said:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Gail Vacca of American Horse Protection Coalition treats her retired racehorses like rich uncles. She believes that slaughter betrays a horse's trust in man. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I fail to see a major difference between the direct quote and my paraphrase.

Slaughterhouse manager Tucker spoke about facts. Vacca spoke about sentiment, and an unbelievable one at that (unless you really think that domestic horses can feel betrayed by man).

IMO, if you want to appear credible to more than just touchy-feely PETA people, then it is important to stick to cold hard facts, not this kind of sentiment.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by caffeinated:
    Thought the segment was decent for the amount of time that they had... Nick Zito especially http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

I do wish that instead of talking about horses in human terms they had talked to one of the veterinarians or rescue workers opposed to the bills so they could talk about rescue infrastructure and what would be necessary to have in place before a slaughter ban could work.

But then again, they only had about thirty seconds, so... *shrug* <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which rescues are against the bills? I only know of one, all the others strongly support ending slaughter.

Here's a letter from Lydia F. Gray, DVM, Executive director, Hooved Animal Humane Society that addresses this issue:
    http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/n...w17letters.htm

Day's End Farm here in Maryland, for one. I know several other people who rescue horses on a smaller level who are also opposed. Not because they "like" horse slaughter but because they feel an infrastructure needs to be in place first. Pretty much for the same reasons that the veterinary association and AAEP oppose it.

The DEFHR people wrote a long article about it in one of their newsletters, I have it somewhere...

My CANTER blog.

Whether or not you are against slaughter for humane reasons, here are a couple of websites that I thought would interest you. The first is called HoofPAC and they discuss the side of the arguement that has to do with the safety of the horse meat and regulations regarding antiobiotic use, among others.

http://www.hoofpac.com/press/bsehoofandmouth.html

The next link is for Smithfield Foods USA. We complain that the slaughterhouses here are foreign-owned, but one of the largest in Europe is US owned. Here is Smithfields link. You can check out all of their product brands if you wish to boycott them. They supposedly send up to 100,000 horses to slaughter in Poland every year from other European countries. My Mother helped start one of the top five mutual fund companies and I just found out that they carry this stock in some of their portfolios. They had no idea that they dealt in horse meat. How many of your retirement plans are investing in Smithfield Foods USA stock? Scary.

http://www.smithfieldfoods.com/Brands/See/bretonne.asp

The last website is for an anti slaughter website based in Europe called Thenausea.com. This will show pictures and give some more detailed information of what I've already mention. Not for the faint-hearted.

http://www.thenausea.com/elements/sp...%20horses.html

Dear Barnfairy,

Not that I particulrly feel the need to defend what I said, but for the record, CBS news spent 4 hours interviewing me at my farm.
    They had hours worth of non emotive facts on tape that they could have used.

The statement they used was the choice of the producers and editors at CBS. I for one am very grateful that they cared enough about the issue to do the story at all.

As they say, some see the glass half full.
    Some don't.
    www.horse-protection.org

No Horses to Slaughter Clique

Planet Earth - Here, there, just about everywhere.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by caffeinated:
    I do wish that instead of talking about horses in human terms they had talked to one of the veterinarians or rescue workers opposed to the bills so they could talk about rescue infrastructure and what would be necessary to have in place before a slaughter ban could work. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Do you have any idea about related costs and from where the money is supposed to come from ??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Enough:
    I don't know much about what happens to the horses once they get to the slaughterhouse. I can only imagine the horrors, and therefore chose to stay ignorant to the issue. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    It happens exactly the same that happens to any other animal that goes to slaughter houses... Nothing more, nothing less...
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Enough:
    Whether they miss often or not when they kill the horses, the horrors these animals have been victim to in the last hours of their lives are undeniabley unacceptable and inhumane. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Are you vegetarian ?
    We as equine community must do all we can to end this senseless inhumanity. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif

Whether it be adopting rescue horses (our farm currently has 8, ranging from a one eyed Amish draft horse to a Japanese bred OTTB to a mini), contributing to anti-slaughter groups, or writing our local and state representatives, it is important that we all make our voices heard. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    There are many voices that also belongs to the community that will not fail to be heard too and that do not agree with you at all.
    The fact that it is "conventionally accepted" for some animals while it is not for others, is unnacceptable and unjustified discrimination too...
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Soup From the Store:
    Makes me sick, really. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Why don't you and the "horse community" don't start a fund raising campaign to buy every single horse risking a trip to the slaughter house and retiring them, feeding them and providing veterinarian care for all of them until their biological end comes.
    Lots of cash needed but in the end you would put the slaughter houses out of business...
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jrstark:
    Which rescues are against the bills? I only know of one, all the others strongly support ending slaughter. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Of course almost all of them support the Bill and it doesn't come as a surprise because they stand to be the biggest "beneficiaries" or, if you prefer, "recipients" of the funds needed to care for hundreds of thousands of animals...
    The whole idea of a paradise on earth for horses with so many human needs pending is just http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/dead.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/dead.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/dead.gif
    Day's End Farm here in Maryland, for one. I know several other people who rescue horses on a smaller level who are also opposed. Not because they "like" horse slaughter but because they feel an infrastructure needs to be in place first. Pretty much for the same reasons that the veterinary association and AAEP oppose it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Its reasonable. And where are the funds coming from to pay for that hhhuuummm "infrastructure" ?
    What do you mean by infrastructure ? Do you mean a nationwide chain of private "rescue" operations ?? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Las Olas:
    The first discuss the side of the argument that has to do with the safety of the horse meat and regulations regarding antiobiotic use, among others. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    In the US does not consume any horse meat so I do not understand the interest for US nationals of those concerns. Anyway the new microchip wil put an end to whatever problem might subsist.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Las Olas:
    We complain that the slaughterhouses here are foreign-owned, but one of the largest in Europe is US owned.
    They supposedly send up to 100,000 horses to slaughter in Poland every year from other European countries. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Nobody has the right to complain about ownership of anything.
    This argument of "foreing ownership" that two toofs also like very much to use, if is wasn't useless and harmless it would be outrageous. You must know that a lot of agreements between countries were signed to open up the World economy. It would be against every single rule to take in consideration the ownership of a company to discriminate against it or even to cause them problems let alone try to close it !!!
    The EU is the US biggest trading partner and if someone thinks that something could be done just because some company is not American just doesn't know in wich world is living rignt now. For those too busy to follow those matters I recall that Europe now is Union of 25 countries with 450 Million consumers, and will grow to more then 30 with more then 550 Million in the very near future. It is already a bigger market then the US and the World single biggest economic block. (The US still leads in GNP but not for long).
    Nobody would ever dare to start a trade war between the planet's biggest trading partners because of some slaughter house. The whole idea of using the "foreign ownership" banner for some purpose is absolutely ridiculous. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_mad.gif
    If for you its hard to consider this sort of "equations" please read this BBCNews from today June 18th to give you an idea about how things work:
    US passes tax bill to calm EU row
    The last website is for an anti slaughter website based in Europe called Thenausea.com. This will show pictures and give some more detailed information of what I've already mention. Not for the faint-hearted. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    In that website there are no pictures that can't be found in ANY country and in ANY slaughter house for ANY kind of animal... You know, the ones that give you the bacon for breakfest and the hamburgers at McDonalds and those rosy chicken brests or your Christmas turkey...
    Oh please don't come again with that old slogan that "horses are not foodstock at least in the US" because for the purpose in question is useless and nobody can justify different kinds of treatment for different kinds of animals just to give an exception to horses when we all know that they all belong to the same "Animal Kingdom" http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by onthebit12000:
    They had hours worth of non emotive _facts_ on tape that they could have used.
    The statement they used was the choice of the producers and editors at CBS. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Its abolutely normal. In a documentary they normally never use 10% of the material they got for it. The norm is more like 3 to 5 %.
    However they keep everything in archives and sometimes they fish this unused portion for other purposes like opposite points of view during some news and so on...
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by onthebit12000:
    As they say, some see the glass half full. Some don't. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    And many more think that not a single taxpayer dollar should be spent to pay to fill in the other half http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif Everyone should pay from his own pocket his own drinks http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    [i]50,000 horses a year with a life span left in average of 10 years, means half a million horses to take care with a cost tag of a BILLION DOLLARS plus. There are plenty of far more urgent [b]human needs[

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Not that I particulrly feel the need to defend what I said, but for the record, CBS news spent 4 hours interviewing me at my farm.
    They had hours worth of non emotive facts on tape that they could have used.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's exactly my point, onthebit12000! As I said in my first post:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Surely, they could have put together a better clip than that... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it's nice that CBS aired it. However, it would have been nicer if they could have presented the argument against the slaughter of horses in a way that would sway those who actually send horses to slaughter, not just show something that appeals to those of us who already appreciate the nobility of this animal.

Bald Eagle - I'll try to keep this short. Not sure where you are from, but you are obviously an "armchair" economist. In other words, you know just enough to be dangerous. People in the US are entitled to their opinions. I see both sides of the equation and I happen to like the idea of "passports" so owners have the option of designating their animals as food animals (also cuts down on theft, fraud, etc). The fundamental economic principal that you must have missed in Econ 101 is that people in capitalistic countries can "vote with their feet." You are right about the GNP. However, at least we didn't need to rope in 25 countries to have that GNP. And, you're a fool to think that a trading war couldn't evolve from a single incident such as a slaughterhouse. Have you not heard of the Banana War? Not to mention that I posted the information regarding antibiotic use in horses to give people a different angle to their arguement, since this same issue has been a problem with our beef cattle industry in the past. But hey, here's the link. Now you can educate yourself.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/1999/may1999/wto-m14.shtml

If you're going to get ugly with the people on this board for expressing their opinions, then expect some retaliation. The majority of the folks here have good hearts and are well-meaning and everyone is entitled to have their own cause. If a horse slaughter ban is passed, it will be because it's what the MAJORITY wanted. This is why we vote.

Also, try to brush up on your American english if you post here. When I said that "We complain that the slaughterhouses here are foreign-owned, but one of the largest in Europe is US owned." What I was saying is that "people in glass houses...."