The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trying to find used trailer vent cry :(

So got the hauling vehicle we wanted in our price range after much looking. Now on to finding a used trailer. Ugh. Everything we look at is a pos. I mean so bad that my husband leaned on the wheel well of one and his hand went through! Lots that are measured wrong, tons that I wouldn't haul a horse in, and ones that are 20+ year old steel bumper pulls (which we need a bumper pull) that people want $4,000+ for one that is full of rust!

I found a place I can get a brand new Calico 3 horse slant with dressing room for under $6,000 but that is the cash price and sadly I can only come up with $4,000 due to horses getting hocks done, stifle injected, and such.

Right now I have a wonderful client that lets me borrow her trailer, but I NEED to get my own. SIGH.

Guess it is just a bit frustrating since the used old trailers are only a few thousand off from a new trailer, so I just can't seem to bring myself to pay almost new price for a 20 year old trailer

Ok. Self pitty party over. Got to finish pairing up students with horses for this weeks lessons.

Sit tight. The right one will come along.

A new three horse slant with dressing room for under $6,000... I don't think I'd personally trust my horses in that. They would have had to cut some corners pretty hard. For example, are the axles actually rated for the weight of three horses?

Yes, trailers do hold their value. There's no engine to wear out, so they can go for a very long time.

Good luck!
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

The Calico's seem to get very good reviews and the specs look right. It isn't a fancy trailer by any means, but like the Corn Pro can do the job. Just would hate to finance a trailer when we managed to not have to do that for the suv.

Thanks. I look quite a few times a day and have even expanded to MI,IL,IN,MN and even KY or Iowa and still nothing. Would settle for a 2 horse, but prefer a 3.

I would verify the dimensions of the trailer (how small are those three horses expected to be) and verify the load capacity of the axles. For a three horse you'll want a minimum of two 5200 lb rated axles.

Give it time. Either your budget will increase or the perfect deal will come along. Send your client chocolates every time you borrow the trailer.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

www.horsetrailerworld.com

Links you online to dealers & private sellers nationwide, searchable by state and trailer parameters. I found a peach of a deal this way.

I bought my custom Calico in 2002 from a dealer in Door County. I've forgotten his name.

I LOVED that trailer. It was 18', matted, 2 stalls but fit all 4 of my horses if I didn't close the second gate, dressing room with 3 drop down saddle racks and a 8 or so hooks. It towed like a dream. I had it for 6 years. It easily hauled my human stuff when I moved from Baraboo to NoVA.

I cried when the truck died and I didn't have the money to replace it (stuck with a stupid, yet reliable, minivan I named Claude DamnVan). I sold my trailer for $200 less than I paid for it to a woman moving to Texas. She emailed me after she settled in to let me know she also loved it, as did her friends.

I understand you don't want to finance, but it would be a worthwhile investment [/enabling]

Pardon me while I go quietly sob for my lost trailer.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Think we are going to finance a new Titan II delux with 3 horse with drop down windows, dressing room, escape door, etc. Just need to save up another $500 because that way the payment will be under $200 a month, which is something do able even during low teaching time etc. Still looking though at used. Never know.

The Calico I want to say has a 7,000lb axel ration weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Couture TB View Post
    Think we are going to finance a new Titan II delux with 3 horse with drop down windows, dressing room, escape door, etc. Just need to save up another $500 because that way the payment will be under $200 a month, which is something do able even during low teaching time etc. Still looking though at used. Never know.

The Calico I want to say has a 7,000lb axel ration weight.
    Nice! Are the II's like the Avalanche--meaning galvanized steel? I have looked at those (Avalanche two horse) and would take one, except it is a bit heavy for my vehicle.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

We had a 2004 - 3 horse CornPro we bought brand new back in 2005 for $4500. Used it for 4 years and put at least 10,000 miles on it with trips across states trail riding, moving horses for family and moving furniture when not hauling horses. Traded it in 2009 and got $3950 from the dealership for trade. I was honestly surprised we got that much for it, but it was still in GREAT shape. It was a very well built trailer and I would not hesitate to own one again. Wish we had kept ours to be honest cause it towed easy and I liked it for day ride trips.