The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Now now...let's not sling mud at the innocent. We should be saving our mud for the news station. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Incidentally, everyone at the station is seething over this policy. Not a happy bunch of underpaid, overworked, and underappreciated peeps over here. There is ZERO moral in this place. Don't try to take away our patriotic moral too.
    Remember...though eagles may soar, weasles never get sucked into a jet engine.

Soar like a weasle my friend.

Since I think we all have more than enough crap to deal with in the real world, I have taken the liberty of removing the mud-slinging post and those that referenced it. I can't do anything about the Taliban or Afghanistan, but at least I can keep the BB a civil place. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

EarthTo, if you'd like to phrase your difference of opinion in a constructive manner, feel free. If you can't muster anything better than the post I just deleted, I'd say just keep it to yourself.

Erin I find this response inconsistent with your response on the Ariat issue. In other words YOU are free to define freedom of expression!!!!?????

Is not that the censorship you were so strongly decrying???????
    Come alive in 2005!

She meant no name calling. The threads were getting personal...again. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

BB Rule #1: Be nice, be respectful, be polite. Disagreement and discussion are fine; flaming and personal attacks are not.

I have absolutely no problem removing posts that don't comply with that rule. You can disagree all you want, you just have to do it respectfully. The deleted post fell outside those boundaries.

And yes, I do define freedom of expression on this BB, through the well-publicized rules. If, in my opinion, a post violates those rules, it's gone.

However, if you'll take the time to notice, posts are generally not deleted because of WHAT they say... it's HOW they say it. And as I said, EarthTo is welcome to repost his disagreement. He just has to do it in a civil, respectful manner, without resorting to playground name-calling.

So, Firerider's ADJECTIVE of Ariat's response as unpatriotic was warranted and NOT prejorative???
    (As quoted from the original spamming which still stands on this board).
    Come alive in 2005!

Yes. That was Firerider's opinion. A very critical opinion, but an opinion nonetheless.

I have ALWAYS discouraged posters here from making personal attacks against other posters. This is a community, and the only way a community can function is with respect. People have to feel free to air their views without fear of being called names.

Insulting the intelligence of another member of the board is not going to be allowed.

If you have a problem with this, you're welcome to email me privately.

Seriously Charis. I like you. Please don't fill up my nice job-bashing post with semantics, and tangents. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

While in real life I would have to tell Erin "you're not the boss of me"...in this forum, she actually is. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Jennasis...

Sorry, did not mean to step on your thread.

Just trying to see the logic of what is allowed and what is not. I am of the "question authority" generation, and proud of it.
    Come alive in 2005!

This weekend, my sister and I went to buy ribbons for my car, her car, and my dad's mailbox. We had two bows made up (one for my front door and one for my dad's mailbox) in red, white, and blue, and then my sister and I both bought ribbons in red, white, and blue... but also in yellow (for the missing), purple (for the courage), and black (for those who have been lost). My sister put hers on her car antenna and mine are going on my backpack when I find some pins.

I work on the trading floor of the NYSE. We have a very strict dress code and the eyes of the world on us, especially this week.
    I don't know of a person that has not shown the US colors in some way this week. Not only am I proud of the USA, but also proud of every person I work with at the stock exchange.
    I don't understand your bosses' thoughts at all.

JMHO here, but this is why I feel compelled to display red, white and blue in whatever way I can right now:

~ to signify support and unity as a nation in this time of crisis. What better symbol of these things than the red, white and blue?

~ to help me remember and reflect on what has happened, even as I am trying to return to my *normal* (which will never be normal again) life. I find myself going through my day and, distracted by the task at hand, forgetting for a moment what haened to all of those people last week, and what continues as the ongoing aftermath. I do not want to forget. Not even for a short time.

Why are people using ribbons and balloons and the like? The little hardware store in my neighborhood sold 20,000 flags in 3 days - 8,000 on Sat. alone. If I didn't have a flag to fly right now, damn straight would I be displaying the colors in whatever way I could.

Again, JMHO.

As you know, I totally disagree with your characterizations of my postings. But this is your BB, you control the content, so it doesn't matter what I think, only what you think. But I won't be revisiting it anytime soon, so it doesn't matter at all.

And speaking of attitudes, some might characterize yours as excessively patronizing. But on this BB, they would, by definition, be wrong, of course.

Your choice... I stand by my decision.

I just saw the article on Newsmax.com! "New York's Cablevision Bans American Flag". Gee Jennasis, could this possible be who we think it is? Looks like somebody was doing their homework. Boy are they nailed in the article. See, good things come to those who wait!

Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

I've seen the red, white, and blue balloons, and while at first I was a little like "hey what?" I remembered that it is nearly impossible to buy a flag here... I have seen ones sell on Ebay for about $100 a piece. I went with my sisters to MJDesigns on Saturday and they were running out of red, white, and blue ribbon. I'm proud to have the red, white, and blue bow on my front door, and if they had run out of ribbon, I might have resorted to balloons too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Here it is!
    While most Americans can't get enough of Old Glory in the wake of last week's terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon, Cable News Channel 12 on New York's Long Island has actually banned the American flag from its airwaves.
    "Our office is a newsroom and news people are committed to supplying objective information on events here and around the world," wrote Pat Dolan, News 12 news director, in a memo banning on-air-flag displays distributed to employees Sunday.
    Dolan became concerned when American flags began popping up in his newsroom and -- horrors -- even on the lapels of some of his anchors. Meanwhile all the other networks, both broadcast and cable, drench themselves in red, white and blue.
    "We have to avoid giving a false impression that we lean one way or the other," said the news director, who's apparently trying to strike a balance between his fellow Americans and the terrorists who have vowed to kill them.
    In an interview with Long Island's Newsday, which reported News 12's flag ban in print editions only, Dolan admitted the move has angered some of his employees.
    "We've had a few heated discussions."
    But he stuck to his guns. "What we're trying to do is make clear that our guys can express their patriotism, but we don't want the flag to be associated with their daily activities as electronic journalists."
    Dolan called the on-air flag waving "a real problem when war breaks out," explaining that he doesn't want his viewers to get the impression that "we may subtly endorse what the government is doing."
    Subscribers to New York media giant Cablevision, which owns News 12 along with The Wiz, Radio City Music Hall, Madison Square Garden, the Knicks and the Rangers, will undoubtedly be interested to learn of Dolan's position.
    To share your views on News 12's American flag ban, call Cablevision headquarters at (516) 803-2300.
    Secretplace Farm - Raising fine paint hunters since 1987
    www.spfarm.com

I think EVERYONE in your newsroom shoud wear and carry the flag tomorrow. WHEN (if) your boss fires them all, start a class action suit.

Better yet, organize a sit down strike in front of the cameras.
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

So this f[censored]ing idiot, is also a hypocrite. Afterall, the news media could not function without the First Amendment in the U.S. Bill of Rights. You know, the one that guarantees freedom of the press ???? . This same First Amendment also guarantees Freedom of Expression/Speech.

You cannot abide by one part and not the other when it's convenient. For him to say, "You cannot wear a flag" is a violation of your First Amendment rights. The same rights that provide this low-life with a job [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] Speaking of which, I'd wear the flag proudly. I'd also make it very clear that you would bring a civil suit against both him and his station for violating your civil rights should you suffer any repercussions from expressing your patriotic spirit. As a member of the press, he should be very sensitive to civil rights. If not, then he should be fired as incompetent.

Is there an e-mail address?????? PLEASE?!

~*~ He who dies with the most tack wins! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ~*~

so people can't display their patriotism? Fascist!!!! How can he call himself an American if he takes away a basic right his employees are entitled to? If he chooses not to display the flag on his own self or carry it fine, but there is something wrong with not allowing it for his workers should they feel the need to express their love for this country. What is he thinking....HONESTLY!!!???
    Anyone with an email or link to an email....send it this way...I would love to give them my sentiments! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
    \"Donuts. Is there anything they can\'t do?\"
    ~Homer