The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Unless you live ON LONG ISLAND, you can't watch the station. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

hint hint...PS...be aware that I could get in trouble if they connect me to the leak so no mention of horses or this board or my name (Jennasis). Just say you heard it through the grapevine that a certain news station.

Hmmm...another hint....On the first day of Christmas my tru love gave to me...blah blah blah...it's the LAST day of Christmas that matters.

Orrrrr...I may start drinking seriously after all of this, and then I'll have to enroll in one of them programs with all those STEPS. I forget how many steps are involved....
    Remember...though eagles may soar, weasles never get sucked into a jet engine.

Soar like a weasle my friend.

Bumping along life\'s highway, oops, detour, welcome to Yuma, AZ.

Ohhhh I love a puzzle. Now to the MS Media page to do some research.

Hang in there kiddo, things are going to improve for you I can feel it all the way out here in the Wild West. Speaking of which....

Did ya love Bush when asked about geting bin Laden and he quoted the Old West Dead or Alive posters?

I'm likin' the man more and more.

"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!"
    \"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!\"

I have to agree with Spunky on this one.

Harsh as it is, a news journalist's job is to relay the facts. Without any "bias" that may be perceived as, for instance, supporting a massive military strike. There is much brewing of anger at the moment... unity is one thing, but it seems more and more people are taking that to mean "ganging up" and taking things into their own hands. Not good.

I know the station you are referring to. Since I don't work for these bafoons, I can sing the 12 days of christmas all I want. I also intend to send these idiots an email!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

what really shocks me about all of this whole scenario (and I am sure you all will flame me like you have crucified Velvet for her opinions...)...is that, where was all this patriotism last Monday? I fly my flag every day, I have for the last 16 years, since I was old enough to own my own house. At the risk of sounding evil, why does every one in this nation need to wear their label on their sleeve or shirt or car bumper??? I am not a relious person, though I consider myself a spiritual one, but I don't get why all the christians need to put fish or jesus stickers on their cars-It's wonderful we live in a society where we can worsip whatever God we wish to, but why feel the need to proclaim it, instead of LIVING it? Just a thought...as far as not having a flag in a TV station..or whereever you work, I think that the media does need to be supportive, but not necessarily flag waving and such-I am pleased to see the flags, and the reemergence of patriotism, but feel ashamed that it too something this horrific for people to sudeenly have to flock to walmart to buy a flag....JMHO...and remember everyone, just being the devil's advocate here-there should always be room for any and all opinions and beliefs without prejudice....I accept that most people are very offended by the memo, and I can see why, but I sure there are well thought out reasons why the management felt the way it did. As far as quitting one's job, isn't it wonderful to live in a country where one can speak his mind and live it thru actions..and hopefully have another job in which to go. Good luck.
    Ellipses users clique ...
    TGFPT,HYOOTGP

I am very supprised at the policy you describe---are you sure that this policy is fully supported by your boss's (how do you make that a possessive?!) superiors? I mean, those at the Very, Very Top?

Spunky, I am going to have to disagree here. I can also understand trying not to offend someone. Even as a big fan of Christmas, I gave in when our company started the policy of "toning down" all the little Christmas displays everyone had.

However, I don't feel that the flag is something that incites aggression or retaliation. If it were, then people would not be flying it in all these different countries that I've seen the AP press photos of. Flying the flag does not automatically send a message that we want to attack anyone. I belive it says quite the contrary, that we are a united people, who won't be cowed by a terrorist. That we appreciate and respect our freedoms enough to display our flag.

Its true, how another poster indicated that many of these folks have suddenly "come out of the closet" as patriots, and I initially had issues with that myself. As I noted before, I have been a diehard patriot, and have never tolerated disrespect of the flag, and have flown mine since I moved into my house too. My father served in two wars, and was career airforce. I have a very deep
    gratitude for those freedoms we possess, and I am not afraid to show it. As for the folks who came late to the patriotic party, I have decided that maybe we became forgetful as a country, but our patriotism never died-it was sleeping. I would rather have them show up late, then not at all.
    Face it, these people could be out demanding revenge and running amok, but they are not. What they ARE doing is pulling together.

As for the idiots who feel the need to go around and attack the innocent, a pox on them. They are too small minded to understand their actions. As is with the issue of Bin Lauden and Afghanistan, these handful of American wretches are no more a representative of America than Bin Lauden is of the Muslims. Everyone has their share of vagabonds, its truely the only thing that is universal.

So-I say, fly the flag high. If we were truely
    flying it as a symbol of aggression, then you can believe most of the terrorist type countries would have already been vaporized. Do not downplay the
    symbol of our nation while we grieve over the wrong that has happened here.

Signed a previous, current, and future patriot.

Hey guys...somebody called the station to complain. Whoever you are, thank you. I overheard the guy you spoke with claiming it was untrue. Have you seen anyone on air wearing a flag or pin? It IS true, and we all have the memo to back us up.

BTW we are owned by a much larger company. The company has been flying flags at all their locations...so it isn't a company-wide policy. Apparently it only applies to the news division.

Remember, I'd like to leave this place of my own volition and on as good terms as possible. So please do NOT let on where any of your info came from. I don't want to lose this place as a reference since I've spent many years here. Thank you.nullPlease DO NOT let on where any of your info came from.

Displaying the flag does not mean you support war. It stands for patriotism which is something alot of us forgot about until recently. I display the flag on my home 365 days a year and buy a new flag every year. Your boss is an a**hole and tell him if he didn't already have so many sticks up his a** you'd shove another one up there with the ol' red, white and blue on the end of it and tell him to f***off. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I agree with Calypso on this one. Since when does displaying the flag mean you support any particular policy decision?

I favor some form of military intervention. My boss, on the other hand, is a strident passivist. But we both showed up today wearing the little flag pins they were selling in the lobby gift shop.

I can see if you showed up with a button reading "nuke 'em all" or some such thing. But displaying the flag only means you love your country and take pride in being American. It says nothing about your stand on any issue.

Hand wringing, spineless, politically correct, wonder child. That station should be proud of him! (NOT!)
    Actually I think that businesses who promote people like that get what they deserve!

BarbB

www.tapestry659.50megs.com

Bumping along life\'s highway, oops, detour, welcome to Yuma, AZ.

Though not of the media, I will never be able to divulge my source on the basis of confidentiality. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Suffice it to say and email has been sent to not only the local yokel station [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] , but parent #1 and parent #2.

I would email you Jennasis because I am so gleeful about this coup. But I am so afraid of it backfiring on you. My email is in the profile, so if you have a "secure" email address let me know, I will cc: you the email sent.

Let us know how this guy looks with a new A$$hole. If this doesn't do it, maybe I need to go back to the website and spot a few advertisers. They always love hearing about these fiascos.

"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!"
    \"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!\"

Sorry to hear about all the trouble you've been having. I'm wondering...which boss issue this..the news boss or the big wig "D.D."?
    "fighting stupidity; one step at a time" -- a wise COTHer

Jane: This edict came from the "news boss", who coincidentally is the son of the "big boss". I don't know if his dad knows about the memo or supports it.

Cactuskate: The company does not have any kind of access to or control of my yahoo e-mail which is on my profile.

Thank you all for the support.

I keep wondering why I'm seeing so many flags and red white and blue balloons (that really bugs me - is this a party or what?) and not black arm bands, black ribbons, etc as is appropriate for mourning in this culture (white for others, I believe). I must admit to being somewhat offended by the Rah-Rah-ness that I associate with the American flag. This is not a hockey game. I also admit to associating the Americna flag with war - after all, that's what the national anthem is about and that's the most usual association with the flag that I have. I also (just one more) have a very hard time with flags which are not being flown at half mast. I did see one car that had a flag that the person had thoughtfully figured out a way to put it half mast. It's the only flag I've actually appreciated seeing. I was thinking yesterday what it would be like to fly the flag at half mast for one day for each person who was killed. That's a long long time.

Putting on my flame suit, I'll say now, to anyone who feels that the quick response by our government to "rid the world of evil" through military means may not be the most appropriate action in the world - YOU ARE NOT ALONE. One of the beauties of this board is that people can find support for their opinions even if they are not the most popular. I'd be glad to help anyone find a community of like-minded people on the web. I felt this way about the gulf war and don't want anyone to feel that way now. Feel free to slam me for being "unpatriotic" or some such, you're welcome to the last word.

I've seen lots of cars with carefully "half-masted" flags. I am touched at their thoughtfulness. Anyflag that is being "flown" should be at half-mast (though I think the president declared the flag to fly at half mast only until Yesterday 9/17).

I do disagree with your assessment that the national anthem is about war. It is about our ability to overcome. How our flag still stands despite being attacked and bombed. It is about perseverence, and the triumph of the American spirit...rather appropriate doncha think?

Today I saw a car with red white and blue streamers on the antenna, and attached to the very tip of the antenna was a black bow. As far as everyone wearing the red, white and blue, I explained it thussly in a thread about what kind of ribbone to where...:

Red= the blood that has been shed, and the lives that have been lost

White= The rescue efforts, the volunteers, the doctors, nurses, emts, firefighters, police et al...

Blue= our government, and the notion that justice will be served.

The only balloons I've seen so far were at a car wash that the cheerleaders from my local high school were running. All proceeds were going to the relief and rescue efforts. But I agree, in just about any other situation, the balloons would be innapropriate and even tasteless.

While the country IS in mourning (I have seen so much black lately...remember, MANY of the missing are from my neck o'the woods), we are banding together to support one another, our government etcc as Americans. By displaying our strength and solidarity we are sending a strong and clear message to the terrorists (I hope)...

www.visionxtreme.net/images/unclesam.jpg

I found this on another bb and split my sides laughing. While certainly not politically correct, it does get the point across!

msj [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

The Flag is not limited to representing war, in fact it does not represent war. It represents a nation and a people united. We have it on the MOON, in our ball fields, at our schools, at our churches and at our horse shows. It represents 50 states united, one nation, under God with liberty and justice for all.

To view it only as a *symbol of war, aggression or being divisive* is, IMO, a modern PC view.

Happy riding,
    SLW

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

I couldn't agree with you more.

And, lilblackhorse, I also think it is sad that it takes an event such as this to bring people to church, and to an understanding of what does make this country great.

It really has altered our perceptions lately to what is truly important. Maybe people will not be so quick to run out and complain, or file suit, about a co-worker displaying a flag in their cube, or having a sign quoting our motto "In God we trust." It's about time we moved on to the important issues. Being allowed to display our individuality and even put up another countries flag in our cube, or wear it on our lapel, is only one of our freedoms.

Also, lets not be too quick to give away our privacy in pursuit of these terrorists. Think about it before you tell your representatives to go ahead and spy on everything in your life or hand out too much information. Other countries have actively participated in giving up their rights in the hopes that they will find greater security in their daily lives, and later they discovered they no longer had private lives...or freedom to pursue happiness.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

that O'Reilly's 'Most Ridiculous Item of the Day' last night concerned a company in Florida that had instituted a no flag policy for its employees which they quickly reversed once it got publicized.

Maybe a certain newsroom will be next! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*