The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Ok, my boss put out a memo to the entire newsroom saying that there are to be NO flags displayed anywhere in our newsroom (a television newsroom). In addition no flags or the like are to be worn by any "on-air" talent or any personell who might be seen by a member of the public while working for the station.

CAN YOU F-ing BELIEVE THIS???

He claims that it makes us look "BIASED"!!!!! Now I know in the arena of journalism it is necessary to present both sides to every story, but are we seriously saying here that our station is supposed to remain NUETRAL????? That we should not openly support our government, whatever they decide the course of action to be?? Our newsdirector says that by displaying the flag that we would be saying we agree with the notion of war. All the other New York area stations are wearing their pins proudly on air as they report the news.

THIS is why I am quitting. I actually felt nauseous as i read the memo.
    Remember...though eagles may soar, weasles never get sucked into a jet engine.

Soar like a weasle my friend.

Ok, my boss put out a memo to the entire newsroom saying that there are to be NO flags displayed anywhere in our newsroom (a television newsroom). In addition no flags or the like are to be worn by any "on-air" talent or any personell who might be seen by a member of the public while working for the station.

CAN YOU F-ing BELIEVE THIS???

He claims that it makes us look "BIASED"!!!!! Now I know in the arena of journalism it is necessary to present both sides to every story, but are we seriously saying here that our station is supposed to remain NUETRAL????? That we should not openly support our government, whatever they decide the course of action to be?? Our newsdirector says that by displaying the flag that we would be saying we agree with the notion of war. All the other New York area stations are wearing their pins proudly on air as they report the news.

THIS is why I am quitting. I actually felt nauseous as i read the memo.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Good for you!! The utter notion that any American is actually banned from supporting their country (whether or not they believe in possible courses of action) is utterly ridiculous. I think I'd be tempted to PIN my resume to his arse with a flag! What a twit.

If Dressage is a Symphony... Eventing is Rock & Roll!
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Bumping along life\'s highway, oops, detour, welcome to Yuma, AZ.

Jenn this cannot be happening to YOU. What the H is this person thinking.

I have a job opening for a part time sales person, doesn't pay much, is in the middle of nowhere USA, but it's your if ya want it!

Is this person a direct decendant of a Nazi or what?

Must stop ranting now, it is to no avail.

Oh, oh I just had a brainstrom. Get some flag underwear, bra, undies, tank. Only your closest friends will know. That will show him, and if he gets really obnoxious, drop "trou" and moon him with the flag!!!!

Ok so much for my attempt at humor, but reallllly!

"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!"
    \"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!\"

Hehe... hey, I really like that suggestion, Cactuskate! Go for it Jennasis! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

OH OH!!! I love it!!! Moon him with the FLAG!!

Please...let BILL ORiley at FOX know....this
    needs to be OUTTED!!!!
    Come alive in 2005!

Perhaps when my last day of work arrives, I'll show up with an american flag "do-rag", my leather flag jeans, and an "Uncle Sam wants YOU" tee shirt. Then I'll attach one of the red, white, and blue pins my mother made for me to hand out to everyone at work to my letter of resignation. Or better yet, maybe I'll pin right to his forehead.

I am at work right now...and it is making me ill, just sitting in this place, right outside his office. After I quit I swear I am flodding the internet with copies of the memo. Perhaps people will stop watching, and hurt his precious ratings.

Gee what would happen if a copy of that memo somhow, someway leaked it's way out to the internet....hmmmm.......Must be some alter out there able to do that.

I would like to see what happens if a flag accidentially appeared? How exactly would they go about firing someone for displaying the flag? I wonder....

Jennasis- Please ask your employer who appointed him/she/them the moral athority for L.I.? He/She/They have the luxery to sit back and *think* this policy through because of the efforts and lives American men and women have lost over the years. If this post is true it saddens me becasue it is people like that whom President Bush and his staff will have to overcome. Furthermore, it is attitudes such as your employers which ALLOW this damn terriorist stuff to thrive.

This is worse than the company down in West Palm Beach who issued a similar memo last Friday. They have been bombarded with mail and phone calls today because a employee was kind enough to share the *news*. They reversed their polciy today and distributed flags to all employees.

Send your boss out to Kansas, we *band* the ones who don't have balls out here! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

SLW

LEAK THE MEMO!!
    Along with your bosses email/fax/work and home phone #'s!!
    The policy won't last for long after that!

A problem I have never had so I cannot sympathize. Your employer is so anxious to please everyone that he will annoy everyone.

How shallow and meaningless a life without convictions or vision must be. I can not imagine why someone would want to be in media publication and not have an opinion. But, especially since this country preserves his first amendment rights why would he not be proud to be a supporter of our beautiful America.

Hey Jennasis, maybe we could play a virtual version of the old "What's My Line" TV show.

Are your company's call letters in the first, middle or end of the alphabet?

Would we find your coverage on the mainline networks?

Would I need cable or just an antennae to receive your program?

Would it require a newer TV that gets more than just 36 channels?

Well you get my drift. The fact that you are GOING is a good thing. But as someone else said this deserves to be OUTED!!!!

Yeah, LEAK the memo -

I am SURE AP or Reuters or the DAILY NEWS would print it....

<BEG>

(Erin, we need a BIG EVIL GRIN icon....)

By the way, who DO you work for? TV News MUST have advertisers - THAT'S who you need to leak it to!!!! We want to boycott your station and all your station's advertisers.
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

That is really awful Jen.
    Is this a station that I can stop watching all the way out here in Washington?

And you'll see a tidal wave of calls, faxes etc. to you employer!!! Put it to the attn of Bill O'Reilly - he lives out on L.I.!!!

AHHHHH! WHAT WAS THAT? I would probably have been arrested at that point for profanity that doesn't even exist.

AT my place of employment last year, I stomped all over the maintenance folks for treating the flag in a disrespectful manner. I marched right up to the CEO's office. Everyone laughed at me at the time, they thought I was overreacting. However, the flag was immediately given the credit due.

This year, no one is laughing.

Please let me know the name of the station, I won't watch them anymore.

Taking deep breaths now.......

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

I can't think of a more appropriate subject for his 'Most ridiculous item of the day' feature.

Unbelieveable.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

I'm going to be different and disagree with the general sentiment.

There are unfortunately many people out there who, in hatred borne of ignorance and anger, interpret the display of a flag not as a call for unity out of compassion, but a call for unity out of hatred.

I am thinking of the ignorant and misguided people in Texas who murdered an innocent man because he was Muslim and wore a traditional head garment.

I cringe to think that our media has made no attempt to understand the motive behind the attack (granted, this is difficult when we can't identify the perpetrator). We Americans are pretty much ignorant of the Middle East. I think there is a lot more history to the situation than most people understand, including me. I don't appreciate being manipulated to react in anger against a situation that I do not fully comprehend.

Jennasis, go ahead and moon him with your flag undies!! I can understand your feelings in this. Hang a flag at your desk. I can't believe that he is against such personal indications. But I do understand his desire to not display them as what could be interpreted as icons of war on the air.

Let our actions be governed not by hatred or anger or revenge, but by compassion.
    \"If you feel you had a bad ride, how do you think your horse feels?\"

Behind you all the way.

This sounds like a compassionless way of dealing with their employees esp after so much stress, which you told us about last week.

Perhaps a whole change of scene is needed. Are you willing to relocate as well as change jobs.

Is it a local station or a national feed?
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com