The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dress me for my derby!

This weekend, I'm taking my mare to a local hunt's horse show, which is having a "mini derby" in addition to the regular divisions. I'm quite excited

So...what does one wear for this? Obviously something like tails is overkill (and not something I have), but should I wear a stock tie? I have two and know how to tie them , and have worn them for dressage and events. I'm guessing if I do the stock for the derby, I should wear the regular collar for the child/adult division earlier in the day?

Or should I just scrap the whole white shirt/navy coat thing, and do something crazy like olive coat, rust breeches, and brown boots? (All of which I have, I just fear that may make us stand out a bit more than our trip can back up at this moment )

Please correct me if I'm wrong (ignorant male who is exempt from wearing shads here speaking), but aren't stock ties only supposed to be worn with shads in the hunter divisions?
    --Chris--

People wear stock ties whilst out hunting, in non-shad jackets of course. Since this is a HUNT's SHOW - that may be acceptable. (though, I do NOT know what the proper attire is)

Just answering the question regarding wearing a stock tie if you are HUNTING....that is normal. So it could be okay at a HUNT SHOW???? That part, I don't know.

Certainly you can't go wrong with a ratcatcher/wrap collar type shirt?

I love the idea of sporting your BROWN BOOTS, BROWN VELVET HAT, and heck maybe even the RUST breeches? Or you could ditch the rust breeches if you don't want to go full tilt. But I say, why not? I see it in the Hunt Field and at Hunter Paces Maybe this show put on by the Hunt Club, is where your inner foxhunter can come out?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Yes, you wear a stock hunting (thought I don't hunt), and I wear them with a regular coat for dressage/events. I know they're "formal" for hunters, but wasn't sure whether it would be appropriate with my regular navy coat here. I'll probably go with a plain white tonal stripe shirt, so I can easily put on the stock if I want to. Just wanted others thoughts on it, as I don't want to be a mishmash of half-formal attire! Though I am always the sort who prefers to be a bit overdressed, and will most likely be braiding.

I sadly do not have a brown helmet, or brown gloves, or a brown jump bat. I'm probably more willing to go with rust than break out the brown stuff (I'll save that for the jumper derbycross at my barn in two weeks, where sticking out is less of a concern ).

My knowledge may be antiquated, but I learned in Pony Club years ago that a stock tie is only correct with a black coat. I would hesitate before wearing one with navy.

at a local hunter show, a hunt coat, show shirt and tan breeches is perfect. All clean and well fitting of course!

Technically, the white stock and dark coat is considered formal attire - the USEF rules only specify "scarlet or dark" and certainly don't specify a shadbelly. If you're going to wear formal attire, I'd skip rust anything.

If it helps: http://www.mfha.org/docs/attiresugge...debook2008.pdf This has more specific hunt guidelines.

That being said, if it's a local show and not rated, formal attire may be unnecessary in which case the rust/olive/brown could be fun. Maybe call ahead and check?
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Thanks, all, it sounds like I'll toss the stock tie in the garment bag as a just-in-case, and stick with navy/white/beige. When we're doing something bigger, and with a more consistent lead change, maybe I'll consider something that stands out a little more

I wouldn't do the brown boots/rust combo since that is considered less formal and you would want to be more formal for a derby class. If the show is being run by a hunt club, I would check their dress code (the hunt's website usually has an info page; some hunts accept stock ties with navy coats, others don't... unless your coat is so dark it could pass as black), and consider wearing a stock tie. Otherwise I would just stick with your regular ratcatcher, and definitely wear it in your regular division. The idea is to respect the way the hunt "does things" and not to look like a clueless or disrespectful interloper

As for horsey's turnout, maybe you can practice your quartermarks this week. If Miss Mare has the hind end that would wear marks well, that is a subtle way to dress her up more and make her stand out (either checks or sharks teeth). If you don't know how to do them, do a search because I know there have been plenty of threads here and on the eventing forum with how-to's, tips and tricks.

Oh, and the most important advice: have fun and take pictures!!
    friend of bar.ka

I love rust... but I would pass on it for a derby. The derbies are generally considered to be more formal, and rust pants and brown boots are most decidedly *not* formal.

Stock tie with dark coat is formal.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    My knowledge may be antiquated, but I learned in Pony Club years ago that a stock tie is only correct with a black coat. I would hesitate before wearing one with navy.
    Maybe that is true in reference to a white stock tie, but there are ratcatchers in various colors (tiny houndstooth plaid for example) that come with matching stock ties, meant to be worn with tweed hacking jackets. A few years ago Dover brought them back and were showing them in their catalog, it was a beautiful, if "old world" look and I'm sure back in the day it was considered acceptable attire for every day riding.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Maybe that is true in reference to a white stock tie, but there are ratcatchers in various colors (tiny houndstooth plaid for example) that come with matching stock ties, meant to be worn with tweed hacking jackets. A few years ago Dover brought them back and were showing them in their catalog, it was a beautiful, if "old world" look and I'm sure back in the day it was considered acceptable attire for every day riding.
    That makes sense. I was thinking of a white stock tie only.