The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Beval Butet seat repair

I have a 2000 Butet with an inch-long tear in the pommel of the saddle, near the stitching on the side. I contacted Beval to see if I could have it patched, and they said they could not patch it. They said I would need to replace the entire seat for $950, which I just can't afford right now! I was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences, and if so, can I somehow convince them to patch it? I've seen other Butets with patches in a similar area, and would rather do that than a full seat replacement. Should have listened ten years ago when they said "no jeans!"

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I would investigate having someone other than the Beval folks do the repair. I love them, but they've gotten really pricey and I imagine you could find a better price elsewhere from a different saddler.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

$950! I paid $300 for my seat to be redone on my dressage saddle. I used a guy at area III regionals.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I'd be concerned about having someone else do it -- if it isn't right it will cost more in the end. Also, Beval will use the Butet leather so if you ever want to sell it that will be important. If it's any consolation -- I had one just like that and rode in it continuously for a year before getting it fixed -- I was careful when cleaning it (no water, no oil near the tear) and it really didn't change over that time.)

Thank you so much, everyone!! I am located in southern CT, so unfortunately FL is out of the question. I love doing business with Beval and 1,000% stand by their product, but a graduate student budget won't allow for a new seat I would appreciate any recommendations for other reputable saddle repairmen! While searching previous posts, I saw that some people used basically super glue. I'm not brave enough to try it, but am curious if anyone actually had luck with it. Thank you again!!

Quote Originally Posted by ljcfoh View Post
    I'd be concerned about having someone else do it -- if it isn't right it will cost more in the end. Also, Beval will use the Butet leather so if you ever want to sell it that will be important. If it's any consolation -- I had one just like that and rode in it continuously for a year before getting it fixed -- I was careful when cleaning it (no water, no oil near the tear) and it really didn't change over that time.)
    This. Would you have your Mercedes repaired by Chevy? Probably not. Why? They are not the experts for this make and also won't have the correct replacement parts.

I too have a Butet that needs a repair (worn hole in the knee roll from previous saddle owner). I won't take it anywhere else but Beval, because I want it repaired to look as though it never happened. That means quality craftmanship by a saddler who's familiar with the product, and using Butet leather for the repair. Not thats it guaranteed to be perfect, but your chances of it are much more likely. Also, if you ever have to sell the saddle, you'll want to disclose that the seat has been replaced. Anybody interested in buying it will LOVE and appreciate hearing that Beval did the repair. Beautifully maintained Butet's hold their value well, too.

Save your pennies and have it repaired the right way.

i took my beval natural to get the seat replaced a few years back after i noticed a tear by the pommel. while it was slightly less expensive than what they quoted you, it was worth the investment. they (at the nj store) did a fabulous job and i have not ridden in jeans since.

Thankfully I stopped riding in jeans five years ago, and never will again!! I completely agree that Beval would do the best job- no questions there- but I'm not ever looking to sell the saddle, and my student stipend definitely doesn't give me much financial breathing room. I do plan to replace the entire seat through Beval in a few years when I have the means, but I am moreso looking to spend a little less now and perhaps patch the seat to hold me over

Quote Originally Posted by ljcfoh View Post
    I feel your pain! I have 2 Butets. One is over 25 yrs old and has had a hole in the pommel for years. I use Duck Tape over it...it doesn't go to shows and I still love the saddle.

Frankly, I don't know if a patch would hold? That's a question for a saddler...

I do ride in jeans and chaps. I do wish they made the seat a little hardier as there are wear lines from the jeans on my 2004 saddle...

As for repairs, I would only let Beval do it or a saddler they recommend. PM me if you want a referral they gave me...

I tried the super glue on mine but it didn't do anything for the tear. I think it had separated too much to do much. But I do think it has helped prevent it from going any further. I didn't use much though because I was a little terrified, lol. It was really hard to put the two edges together so I think that had a lot to do with getting the super glue to do anything.

I'd check with Patty. She does very nice work. (She worked with Gary Severson for many years before she bought out most of his business).

Patty Barnett
    52 Ratlum Mountain Road
    Barkhamsted, CT 06063
    Tel: (860)379-2300
    Email: SaddleDr@aol.com
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I had David Young (in SC) replaced the seat, billets, panels AND reflocked my '98 Butet (I replaced the foam with wool years ago) all for $1025 ... WITH shipping and it looks lovely. David has since passed away, but clearly there are other choices besides Beval. A good saddler with access to quality leather and you should be fine. But question the saddler about the leather they se. I had stuff done by David before, so I knew the quality and he specifically didn't want the saddle until he got the right color/type of leather in stock because he didn't want to plunk any old leather on it OR keep my saddle for longer than necessary waiting for the leather.

However, while you are waiting until you find the right repair person, you might want to try a seat saver to limit any future damage. I started riding in one as soon as my seat was replaced. I like it on trails, don't mind it on a daily basis and it doesn't bother me to take it off for shows/clinics. Otherwise it is busy saving my seat (both of them).
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I have a lovely older Courbette with seam splitting on the seat. Since it is an older saddle and I don't show in the fancy leagues I did a self-repair with nice leather I got from a saddlemaker and superglue. It aint pretty but it holds well - under my new seat saver...
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I'd check with Patty. She does very nice work. (She worked with Gary Severson for many years before she bought out most of his business).

Patty Barnett
    52 Ratlum Mountain Road
    Barkhamsted, CT 06063
    Tel: (860)379-2300
    Email: SaddleDr@aol.com
    I LOVE Patty and highly recommend her as well. I know she's in CA for the next month though.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Just left Patty a message- thanks again everyone!

I've been told (by a reputable saddler) that wearing blue jeans is not entirely horrible or the cause of a seat wearing out . . . bought my butet used (8 or so years old) and rode in it another 5 before having to replace the seat.

Rather depends on what is on the jeans - sharp rivets & crystals will damage the leather; hard seams & the relative abrasiveness of denim will cause more wear than breeches BUT any rider that is not quiet will create more wear in a saddle than a quiet rider, regardless of clothing choices.

Oldenburg737 don't just let this ride, those 1 inch tears can abruptly become 4 inch tears if the leather is dry enough or there is sufficient tension on the leather (though perhaps the bucking was the determining factor ).
    Some patches seem to hold alright, some don't ...

I recently (February) got the seat on my older Beval Natural replaced for about $550 (without shipping). The new leather is really nice and thicker than the original seat (the guy sent me back the old seat plus a swatch of the new leather). I had to oil it to darken it to match. It looks awesome now, and the guy did a beautiful job. He's in Montana, so not local (for me either) but if you're shopping around you could consider it. Bisonsaddlery.com. He does lots of western work, but has plenty of experience with high end english saddles.

I had my butet seat replaced about a year ago from Beval. It was well worth the money and they warranty there work. I would send it to them