The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Scribing with the new half-points

I'm scribing Saturday, and it will be my first time since the half-points were instituted. Those of you who have had experience in these new waters, was it hard to get used to it? If so, any tips on being quich and accurate with the new system?
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

I've scribed at two schooling shows since the decimal points have been in place, here are my thoughts/hints:
    Decimal points are obnoxious to write when you are in a hurry, so I started each test by putting a decimal point in the middle of each box (I tried just leaving them out - to me it's all the same because you know hte judge is scoring between 0-10, and the only area of concern would be if it is a 1.0 or 10.0 - but the judges I've worked with insisted they be there)
    On that note, there was an accidental scorekeeping calculation (that was quickly caught) when a rider scored a 1.0

I tried to find a balance between asking the judge if they meant "six point zero" when they only say "Six" and pestering them during the test. What has worked the two times I've been scribing was a gentle reply of "was that six point zero?" on the first few tests, if they don't clarify the half-points, just to get on the same page. Both times, after a few tests, the judge was comfortable with the agreement that if they do not same a half point, I could assume there was no half point to be given (Should we do that? Or should we leave the halfpoint blank to be clarified after the test is over?)

Overall, I hope that future test sheets have a larger box for half-point scores, and have pre-printed decimal points. It is a small detail, but it is a big deal.

Also, please check that when the judge fills in the collective marks, (s)he writes "7.0" and not just "7"
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

i haven't had any issues with the half points...i scribe alot of dressage shows. ask the judge how they tell you the score. the ones i have scribed for actually say seven point zero or seven point five. each judge i have asked beforehand exactly how they verbally say the score. have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannonjk View Post
    Overall, I hope that future test sheets have a larger box for half-point scores, and have pre-printed decimal points. It is a small detail, but it is a big deal.
    These are very good ideas, ones that I think the USEF should certainly implement for 2015. I wonder if there's any reason that they couldn't make theses changes to the format of the 2011 tests that are available for shows now.

Yeah. I will see if I can submit the suggestion, because it is the tiniest detail that slows me down. I could write smaller faster, but it would be less legible. Considering a lot of my scribing is at schooling shows, I try to be as legible as possible, just in case it's that rider's first experience with dressage.
    [edit] I did send the suggestion to USEF. If I get a response, I'll let you know!

Due to the space limitations on the current score sheets, I write them slightly on the diagonal.

It is no big deal.

Much better for the competitors.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

sorry to digress a bit here......there is never enough room on all 2nd and 3rd level tests to write comments. 2nd level is the worst and it seems i write the most on all three 2nd level score sheets. i wish they were all computerized....i can type a whole lot faster than write! :-)

I scribed my first show of the season on Sunday. On the first test the judge gave whole numbers (e.g. "7") without mentioning the decimal point, but I had forgotten all about the change and didn't notice. It wasn't until she gave a 6.5 on the second test that we both remembered that the whole numbers needed ".0" after them so we went back and added it to all the scores on the first test. I did find some tests had a too-narrow "Points" column for the decimal to fit easily (I tend to write scores big). Generally I wrote the main number large and the .0 or .5 smaller. On one test the rider was not having a good day and was getting a lot of 5.0's. The judge commented that they really should have been 4.0's - I said, "Well, now we can use 4.5" but she didn't use it and kept giving 5.0's.

Quote Originally Posted by horsefaerie View Post
    Due to the space limitations on the current score sheets, I write them slightly on the diagonal.

It is no big deal.

Much better for the competitors.
    I think I'll be using that idea.

I didn't find much difference from a writing perspective as long as the judge was consistent, tho I did find myself making the digit after the point slightly smaller sometimes.

When you have to ask for clarification, however, complexity increases.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

Just be a good scribe and remind your judge because they have been doing this for a long time thinking 5 and 6 and 7 etc. That is my advice.

I like it - a 4.5 and a 5 can be totally different things and yet in the past - the judge usually would say 5 for both because the 5 was clearly not a 6 yet but the 4.5 was not as devestating as a 4. lol

I scribed at a rec show and a schooling show recently and my trainer is a judge so we have had a lot of talks about it.

Yes as the levels go up - the boxes get smaller so hopefully they will make it slightly bigger and maybe they can even PUT a decimal in the box?

I HAVE ALSO BEEN THE SCORER and I will say - it takes longer to score the new .5s! And I cant look at a test and think "that test reads like a 67" anymore - sometimes I get a final score and am like 'REALLY?" and rescore it and yep - that was the score!

SCORERs need to know that according to significant figures - your final score needs to go to 2 points after the decimal to be mathmatically correct.

Quote Originally Posted by LaraNSpeedy View Post
    SCORERs need to know that according to significant figures - your final score needs to go to 2 points after the decimal to be mathmatically correct.
    Well, the rules already say that scores have to be 3 digits after the decimal, so that is not an issue.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

The bigger issue for scorers is to be careful with the 1.0 and 10.0 thing

I heard back from the USEF, and they said they could put my request (for a larger scorebox and a pre-printed decimal point) forward.

However, it won't be until reprints of the tests which is two years away.

Really, do we need .5?? Why not choose (have the fortitude to give) a word meaning and stick to it. And 4.5 ...really why? It is either insufficient or sufficient (now minimal), not both. The ONLY place I can make a case for a .5 is when an exercise is repeated left/right, and one side is a smidge better. However, why not just say this way was good 8, and this way was fairly good 7. That said, why not USE the span of numbers to high light (or low light) for each exercises. Imho we will just have more 'clustered' scores in the 60s imho.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

So far, I've had 4 tests under the new .5 rule.

3 of the 4 used the half points. 2 of those three seemed to use .5 to go down, one used .5 to go up.

(based on comments/video and prior rides/scores)

If this trend continues, I'll be proposing to remove them...I'm barely satisfactory as it is...consistent as heck, but I don't need even lower scores to tell me that...that is what the comment is for.

I do so love video. Most of the time, I watch it and see what the judge scored, but there are a few judges where I watch it and completely disagree.