The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Rita Crundwell

I was just curious if anyone knew what was going on, or details on Rita Crundwell. From what I gather she was a delightful and nice women with phenomenal horses. Of course, having seemingly unlimited funds does make that easier...

I have no personal connecting. I'm not in the QH world. I'm just curious of what people think and thought maybe it could be a good discussion

You might want to read this thread, as a start. http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...Rita+Crundwell
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

www.paulickreport.com has a story from the Chicago Tribune today saying Crundwell will be indicted today for wire fraud...the amount now is stated as $53 million...thought it was originally less than that. I agree I think we all might be considered "delightful and nice" with "unlimited funds"!

The feds are seizing 310 horses that belong to her in an attempt to recoup some of the stolen funds. They claim that the horses will continue to be cared for in the manner that they have been and their training will be continued as the case continues so they don't lose value.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

ah, I missed the first thread. I did a search of the name but it didn't come up...

Do we know the time frame? I heard originally they could only go back 6 years and the total was $32 million or there abouts. Is the $53 million 6yrs back or since she started working there?

The $53 mil goes back to 1990. She plead Not Guilty, but the word on the street is that it was a formality while her plea bargain is worked out.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Quote Originally Posted by bugsynskeeter View Post
    The $53 mil goes back to 1990. She plead Not Guilty, but the word on the street is that it was a formality while her plea bargain is worked out.
    I heard on the news they are saying it's going to be a long trial whatever that means? I was surprised she plead not guilty. I wonder what her plea bargain will entail if she gets one?

Quote Originally Posted by Giddy-up View Post
    I heard on the news they are saying it's going to be a long trial whatever that means? I was surprised she plead not guilty. I wonder what her plea bargain will entail if she gets one?
    Probably a shorter jail sentence and I have heard something about her cooperation in dealing with all her horses for the sale. Her cooperation will save the Feds lots of research time.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.