The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

'nother OB checking in. That doesn't mean obstetrician, either! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Of COURSE the kitty's name was Puff. That's why my first cat in years (just died) was Puff.

Anyone remember the old Chicago International? High point of the year, and the hook my parents had to extort good behavior for 11 months. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

M-i-c (see ya' real soon)
    k-e-y (why? Because we like ya')
    M-o-u-s-e

JReed, Dublin, LaurieB,

Those photos are making me drool - I'm having SUCH great flashbacks to ye olde days.

OMG, trying to see how high you and your horse could jump. I remember those days, the fences went higher and higher and higher and you'd never bat an eyelash, because jumping everything under the sun was just normal.

LOFF LOFF LOFF the auto releases.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

HI Beameup!

I just posted you privately, but I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was intimidated by Hubert.

I remember Knoll Farm and had several friends who rode with Anne Gribbons.

I'm getting up my courage to post to George .... it's been so many years I hope he remembers me. But if he doesn't remember me, he'll remember the horse SRF sold me. Do you remember Smoke Screen? She was the terror of the stable. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm anxious to hear what you remember from those days!

I guess this is my magical year - 51 and born 5/1/51! God was kind and thought it would help me remember it some day. I remember being on top of a ferris wheel with my Mom and looking over into a tent and seeing Gene Autrey and Champion. I remember my Hopalong Cassidy mittens before that. I remember Nellybelle alright. I remember Fury and My Friend Flicka. I remember Hubert talking about riding with just chaps - what a character.

and did all the student council shopping and feel much better. Had a cup of coffee at the Giant supermarket and got over it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Time to focus on the present which will shape the future. But let us not lose this thread; it is better than chocolate! I still remember Walt Disney in black and white and thinking Annette Funnicello (sp?) was more beautiful than Elizabeth Taylor (and my folks knew ET [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]).

So. I am OK but gosh, what an afternoon-it was so fine and I look forward to even more from everyone and I won't confess tears again. Promise (almost [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )
    June
    \"The world\'s greatest achievements often happen on the edge of chaos\"

Oh, JReed, All those tears just prove you're sensitve inside and that you have fabulous memories. Be joyful for a good life. My poor uncle was a tobacco farmer who used mules to pull the sleds. Those mules bit off almost all of his fingers.Aren't we glad we didn't get THOSE equines!!! I think this should be called " The Golden Thread". It's priceless and the pics are wonderful.

"1951" was a good year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i keep trying to forget what the calendar says.i can't be that old.but i sure don't bounce as well anymore,or they made the ground harder!

mm
    mm

Of course you are absolutey spot on. Thank you for saying as much. Sometimes I feel I lead this double life, one at work and then the other like this afternoon [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    I wish to know more about the other folks my age and <their> journeys: that would be best of all!
    Keep this thread going!
    June
    PS please no one call me Jreed; my name is June.
    and thank you for the heads up re Paul Simon: OF COURSE [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]!

All Right folks,this might be too weird but I saw a great obit in the Chronicle several years back and actually cut it out and taped it to my desk. It was for Stacy B. Lloyd, founder of the Chronicle. It stated that he died of a heart attack while driving a young horse on his farm in Berryville. He was 86. I was greatly impressed and decided that I would ride well into my eighties, and when I could no longer post, I'd get a Paso Fino. After that I'm getting a pony cart!! The point is,we've got lots of riding to do before we get to "our day". Just think of all the accumlated knowledge we have between us. Wow. It staggers the imagination. I feel better already!!! I was at a horse auction not long ago when some one in the gallery wanted to know how old the horse on the floor was. After much inspection in the horse's mouth, the auctioneer came back with, " Well, ma'am, she was born a loooong time ago".

When I started this thread I really didn't know what the response would be. I should have. If you're like me, I think you'll agree that women our age really are, as Jreed aptly put it, bright, brave and humorous.
    Thank you for sharing all the memories that bring back mine. And even more thanks for opening up to all of us without the long ago fears of "they'll think I'm strange" or "who am I to give advice.
    You guys are truly special. Here's to many more threads celebrating the aged.
    By the way, next time you see a magazine article with a title like "Still Nifty at Fifty" smack the newsguy upside the head.

and yup, it brings back a lot of memories.

Not of horses, since I'm late to that, but of B&W TV (remember the first color one that came into your house???) but most of all, I remember the best thing about growing up in the midwest...

Mad Magazine!

What reminded me? Well, they did a take off of the Mickey Mouse club and Annette's name was ...

"Annette FunnyJello" <KT giggles hysterically>

Just a thought...
    KT

P.S. Only 105 days till I pick up my youngster. Yahoo.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

if I lived less than an hour away from a newstand to whack anyone (and I'm a Friend) by gosh I would do it! But we are supposed to take the higher road. I am listening to Paul Simon on CD this evening and trying to understand my outburst of tears; don't want to be caught like that again. I'm thinking that this thread, with the women (sorry male gender types, no offense meant) here, might offer wonderful memories with no apologies and isn't that a unique forum indeed. More than that, the women here, if they were so generous, might offer opinions, attitudes, and insight to the rest of us on all things equine-wise, and not. How did you juggle being a good parent, a good spouse, a good worker and still be how you were we when we could spend an afternoon seeing how high a horse could jump? Reflecting through the food market today, I now know the thing that made Ethan's Mom's comment bring me to tears wasn't anything she could have possibly meant save that, at 17, the old man and I were in such a special space that at 47, even with a horse of such possibility as Red, "no way" <I> could ever do that fence. He might, but I won't be with him. I have two children that rely on me totally. I try to keep a 47 acre farm by myself; and I am self-employed. Sweet Jesus, I have no more business spending an afternoon with Red trying to push the envelope than I have abrogating any of my responsibilities. I am a parent. This afternoon let me slip back into the days before I made different choices.
    So, at the end of a day you suck up, and go on. But this thread is special. Carry on, with lots of pictures of all of us! And tons of memories and <remember> <I> knew the name of Puff the Cat [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] June
    never knew how much I needed you folks in my life until this thread: who knew??

June, I can so identify with you!!! Every now and then I get so bummed thinking about what I used to be when I look at old pics and think, at what point did I become unable to do this? I'll post my old pony club, horse trial, rodeo trick riding photos and reminice my checkered past with ya'll when I get a scanner. It seems the girl who used to go "wheeeeee!" now checks the tack with the caution of a pilot doing a pre-flight, won't ride alone if there's no one at the barn, and must use a mounting block! But life changes, priorities change, and being a parent does make a huge difference. Also, in my case, add the responsibility of my elderly mother. What always helps me is to look at photos of my 70-something grandma (on the wall of my home office for inspiration) showing and winning fine harness classes at the Dublin Horse Show. Then I think, ah hell, maybe I'll get lucky enough to be like her. At least we didn't die young and unfulfilled! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

This thread is great--it reminds me of that movie, A League Of Their Own, and the song, This Used To Be My Playground. Ladies, we ain't done yet! And, by the way, ABSOLUTELY AWESOME auto releases!!!! Ya'll are the coolest! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Your grandmom at the Dublin Horse Show, in Fine Harness? Youza! My mentor during the time of that photo of Beaver was Marjorie Van Ness in NJ and only recently did I become aware that the American Horse Council has an annual award in her honor! MVN had Saddlebreds, was a woman of particular grace and steel. And love for all of us. And I loved the flick League of Their Own and especially that song you mentioned, This used to be my playground. Marge was always the first one to advocate, in the most gentle way and at all times mannerly, pushing that envelope for things important in both things equestrian and in life.
    Dee, you don't need a scanner (I have one but can't get it to work)-you can take your photos to a Wal-Mart at their photo enclave and there is a machine that looks like a copier that will scan your photos unto a CD or floppy and then you can come home and put them on your computer. And it is not expensive. That is what I did with the old photos like the one I posted of the old man.
    I care for my mom, too. Her mom never told us she liked horses until I was leaving for Boston University as a transfer. Then that summer I worked for her she told me about Earl Sande and Saratoga and sitting on Man O' War and Zev. When Gertrude was in her nineties and had to go under general anesthesia for intestinal pollops (sp?), the anesthesiologist told us she said, before going under, to "take care of this ass because this ass sat on Man O' War" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] I can't imagine this little ole Irish Lady saying ass, but then she was a woman of steel who was known during the war when she was a Chemical Engineer, as "that bitch with the green nail polish", as she would always win War Contracts by underbidding the competition [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] When I would try to ask her why she never shared her love with horses with me,I was always left with the impression her thing with horses was too personal, and like a jewel, not to be displayed to just anybody. My other grandmother breathed horses her whole long life (99 years) and openly enabled us grandchildren, buying us our first horses. Her brother, adored horses also and when he ran away from home to join up in WW1, took care of the horses that pulled the cassons up at the front. He was never the same after the war and tended the Rose Garden at Mullen Crest (my grandfather's farm) after that. He loved the horses we got as I grew up and knew so much!! He was the one who taught me about the prophet's thumb on chestnuts. Gosh, I have got to get some sleep [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Insomnia is over-rated. Check out your local Wal Mart and share pictures with us!

Well, JReed, thank you for raising the more philosophical questions that I've been thinking of recently. I wasn't lucky enough to share the experiences of riding as a girl - my parents didn't see the value, and it was very expensive at $5/hour, plus $1 for jumping afterwards! When the Grenchies said I would need my own horse to get better, that was the end of my once-a-week lessons.

Now, when I watch others riding as I wish I could, and am facing my fears about taking a green horse over a crossrail (when I actually have a horse that is sound and mentally stable which isn't now [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]) I get the attachs of "if only." I get them when I face the problems in my marriage - why did I blind myself to the issues? I even get them when I leave for work 5 minutes late and have to fight the Boston traffic.

But, I can handle it. Traffic? Who knows, if I HAD left 5 minutes earlier, I might be under that tractor trailer that ran the light. Should have recognized the marriage problems earlier? I wouldn't have had the BEST stepdaughter in the world. And who knows where and how we will end up?

So, I try to concentrate on the joys of learing to use my body differently - seeing HOW I can learn best at my age - and taking pleasure in each experience. Horse can't jump? Can't trot or canter? How can I use my seat bones to get a shoulder in at the walk. Horse can't be ridden? I've learned so much about groundwork and related theories - and that has really increased my pleasure in my relationships with any horse.

I won't make the Olympics. But we are all champions! We are still here, still struggling to develop meaning out of our lives - in riding and in all other areas.

The COTH Over-50 Olympics - it isn't how high you go, but HOW you do it!

June, Dublin, Weatherford, LaurieB et al - yawl need to publish these memories as a book with lots and lots of pictures.

Joliemom - a `61 model m'self

"If you ain't got it in ya, you can't blow it out." Pops

Because I just had to pass up a truely lovely youngster with slightly iffy radiographs because, at my age, and with one retiree and a "perfect middle-aged lady's horse" already in my backyard, resale potential must be an issue. Rereading this thread, and it's support of the perspective that we can't do it all any more, and that's okay, we're still special and valuable and not dead yet--this is a treasure.

The two at home get extra carrots tonight, and I might just take my vintage '51 happy ass out to a consolation dinner tonight, as well!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I just turned 58 last week. I just got a new horse three weeks ago today. Ain't life grand! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
    Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, it empties today of its strength.

I'll say it again, this thread is just too cool! Thanks, June, for the tip about Wally World and putting my pics on a disc--I'll have to venture out there this weekend!

And happy birthday, Jazzman! I think that we should have our own little Forum here; whaddya think, Erin? (ducking for cover.. ) OK, then, maybe our own clique... I wish we could all get together for a senior night somewhere! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wicky:
    When the Grenchies said I would need my own horse to get better, that was the end of my once-a-week lessons.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Fox Hill?!?!? P-ville? I had the same experience! So mom and pop filled our OWN "back yard" with horses.
    I have a picture of me (with elastic strap under chin!) at "Grenchies!" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]