The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

I remember when we were young, our idea of fun was to "mess around" with the horses. No time schedule, no training plan, just go and "piddle about". All that brush in that fence were Xmas trees we had driven around the neighborhood collecting- everyone's dead trees after Christmas. The old man was fit and one Saturday afternoon my sister and a co-conspirator, Susie, just wanted to see "how high" our horses (and ourselves I might add [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]) could jump. I stopped at that fence("no; that's high enough for ME"). Beaver never knew the difference. I had great patient, pony club coaches who knew I was riding a $300 QH and kept my priorities right as far as the mental education of a horse in addition to the physical education. My trainer was Joan Brown who moved to Texas and then Dolores Hunt taught me. Neat thing about Beaver is you could do a fence like that, and then pop a toddler on his back or go bareback trailriding. Whatever you thought you could do; he agreed and gave it his all. Do they make them like that anymore?
    \"The world\'s greatest achievements often happen on the edge of chaos\"

November 2. I shall spend the day at South Coast Plaza with the Queen Mother, since I always have a blast with the Queen Mother on my birthday, then visit Willem, then go to dinner. Wheee!
    EDDIE WOULD GO

You DID notice, by the way, the home made jumps 30 years ago e.g. NAILS as jump cups [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] and solid wood fence rails (borrowed from a fence) instead of PVC. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] God was jumping with us all those years! And don't get any illusions about <me>- see the thread on worst falls [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

But we sure did have fun and no one was ever unhappy or hurt! And that's what counts and that is why, even though injured now, there are 4 IDJITS in the field!! And my daughter is having fun now too which is the absolute best! Jim rides but it is not a passion for him the way it is for us (but I wait in anticipation for the day when his eye catches a horse crazy girl's...and when he tells her I ride...oh my!

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

Love that photo! Your chaps look identical to a pair I had at the time.

I started showing in 1966 in the Pacific NW and looking back through my photos, I always used a white fleece pad.

Here's a photo from my second year of showing, on my OTTB Peace Flag.

It's not California Dreamin' -
    It's an all California World Series!
    ~~GO GIANTS!!!!!!~~ [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12290835fLutzSyxyE_ph.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	5539  
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

what a great photo!!! And those chaps... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] you know, I still have them, AND my saddle, AND the breastcollar, AND the girth [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] ! When I was pregnant and yadi yadi, sometimes I would look at Beaver out in the field with the Cotswold sheep and clean tack just "to touch base". My saddle is a Jimmy 20th Century CC and everything else was Crosby...isn't there a song with the line, "still crazy after all these years". James Taylor maybe?

Mary and Jim have outgrown my chaps! I did too, after Jim [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] but I still have them!!! There is always tomorrow for losing weight/changing shape!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    June

Hey JReed, I want to see you do a jump like that on Red!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

"I'll lean on you and you lean on me and we'll be okay"
    - Dave Matthews

"We all take different paths in life, but no matter where we go, we take a little of each other everywhere."
    - Tim McGraw
    "The joys of motherhood are never fully experienced until the children are in bed" UK

Lawdamercy, JReed! Not only does Beaver look like he's still going up, but he's also gotta clear that ground pole on the other side of the fence!

Sort of reminds me of a picture at Sedgefield Stables (Greensboro, NC) back in the early 70's. It was one of the instructors on her horse jumping a full manure spreader, you know, just for fun. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

"If you ain't got it in ya, you can't blow it out." Pops

WOW-GREAT jump.

I loff this--more more more!!!!

"You can tell a gelding, you can ask a mare, but you must discuss it with a stallion." - Unknown

I DON"T THINK SO!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] BUT , Red is doing OK these days. For others, Ethan's Mom is a SAINT who has been helping this ole mare rejoin the riding community and worked with Red and I, even though the barn owners were convinced Red was a "Satan's horse" . Red is home now with the others and , Ethan's Mom, the grey is doing so beautifully and Mary's Niti is more or less our pet but still keen and happy when ridden, you haven't met the schoolmaster from Middleburg but he is who Mary rides most every day. Red is waiting for me to get better and then we shall pick up where we left off (that is why God made tomorrow). But we have had no issues here and he is a mush and you know what? I think Red could DO THAT FENCE: someday!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

that same afternoon, there was another fence on the field. My sister and Susie and I created a "Liverpool" with a 2'6" rail and some blue tarp we found in the barn and stretched it so it had like a four or five foot spread. And it was a windy day [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] Beaver pulled his knees to his ears I swear [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] when he went over that and was unhappy with pinned ears and wringing tail! So we went to look at it again, just walking up to it and if he could think I'm sure I was being told to get a life and stop this! Rolling waves of blue was NOT his idea of a good time. But, he never backed out of the bridle, Lord rest him, but he thought I was bumping the envelope on that one! We just praised him for walking up to it and ignored it the rest of the day and a week later, when we went over it, he never gave it a thought!

JReed and Dublin, great pictures! And look at those lovely automatic releases. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks Duramax and LMH! Now I have to go dig out more "oldies." This one is my favorite, so I've posted it to the BB a bunch of times. Feel free to complain if you've all seen it before... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Name:	MSG1967.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	8067  

Who remembers Terry Rudd? This is a picture of her at age 16 or 17. (I've posted this one before too, to illustrate what flared breeches looked like. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img])

I don't remember the name of the horse in the photo--he was a catch ride for her. The roan in the background with the wide blaze is Wee Ken with Ricki Rothstein.

Name:	TRudd.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	7621  

Here's a picture of my sister on her large pony. Harrisburg, 1967.

Name:	rommel1.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	4733  

What is the story on the first one of these 3???

"You can tell a gelding, you can ask a mare, but you must discuss it with a stallion." - Unknown

LMH, that's me on my large pony, Pride 'n Joy at the Garden in 1967. The jump was 3'3" though it looks much bigger--I think we had some serious air time going there. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

That picture was from the appoitments class. That thing poking me in the chin is the butt end of a hunting crop. As I recall, Pride was already so keyed up about the surroundings, that I didn't dare wear spurs. (I probably had them on for the call-back though. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img])

The earlier, color picture is from the same show, but the Stake class. As I recall, I didn't take the black jacket and yellow vest off in between--shows weren't so fashion oriented then--but the rest of the appointments are gone. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Ok. Since all you folks are presumably my vintage, bear with me. I had such a pleasant afternoon remembering the old man until Ethan's Mom asked me about Red. And now, it seems I'm getting teary-eyed (which the scholars <really> love-NOT) and I can't explain to them WHY. Bringing me up short regarding Red, and my injury, now all of the sudden I feel like this old fart unsucessfully trying to recapture that which can't be. I thought this thread of people my age would be a safe place to share fun "do you remembers" and now I can't stop tears. Shit. This is not me. No offense meant to Ethan's Mom; she is wonderful and a very young woman just beginning the journey. Can someone say something to me to give me perspective, or comfort or I don't even know what I need. I know I <don't> need tears because I have to go out to do a whopping load of food shopping for Mary's Student Council wingding in the next half hour. Cripes, until Ethan's Mom mentioned Red, it had been such a lovely afternoon.
    June

I remember San Lucas,
    how about Stroller? Tosca? Learned to read, reading CW Anderson, Marguerite Henry,etc
    I'm 51 , born in 51.
    You mean they don't use the Dickand Jane books anymore?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> isn't there a song with the line, "still crazy after all these years". James Taylor maybe?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope - not JT - PAUL SIMON! from his solo album of the same name from mid-seventies (college years... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

Oh, Epoch, I doubt "maturity" suits ANY of us!!!

(remember the song from Peter Pan...)

19 year member of the New Hope clique! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Who's the leader of the club
    That's made for you and me
    M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E
    Hey! there, Hi! there, Ho! there
    You're as welcome as can be
    M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

Mickey Mouse! (Donald Duck!)
    Mickey Mouse! (Donald Duck!)
    Forever let us hold our banner
    High! High! High! High!

Come along and sing a song
    And join the jamboree!
    M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

Mickey Mouse club
    We'll have fun
    We'll be new faces
    High! High! High! High!

We'll do things and
    We'll go places
    All around the world
    We'll go marching

Who's the leader of the club
    That's made for you and me
    M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E
    Hey! there, Hi! there, Ho! there
    You're as welcome as can be
    M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

Mickey Mouse!
    Mickey Mouse!
    Forever let us hold our banner
    High! High! High! High!

Come along and sing a song
    And join the jamboree!
    M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

Goshen, New York (cutest little hossie town in NY)

I went to SUNY stony brook too, in the 70's. rode at smoke run farm with george lukemire and joan johnson. but i rode with hubert rohrer later on when i switched to riding at knoll farm and he came there to do clinics and his nastiness made everyone cry!