The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

You guys are great. Finally I'm with my own kind.

Now, how about those old britches with the big floppy flare and the buttons at the knee? Or collecting herds of cheap china horses, most with broken legs from jumping clothespin crossrails?
    Or crops with carved horse handles? Or hats on absolutely no one except your mother when she came to watch?
    Must stop. I'm starting to scare myself.

Ratcatchers with French cuffs and cufflinks.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

Born in 1953.
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

I always loffed that. It's like "Forty is the new 30; fifty is the new forty."

I will be 41-derful on Saturday week.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

World War II was in its final stages when I was born. My horse is older than most of the posters on this BB, present company excepted. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    But all the finest horsemen out—the men to Beat the Band—
    You’ll find amongst the crowd that ride their races in the Stand

and it feels so good to sit on something not moving
    I feel every year since 1946 but in a few days it will be time to go again and while going we won't remember the stiffness.
    there is no such thing as too much fun.
    my sister rode back then, I didnt take it up until the early 80s. and I remember b4 television, and when the phones didnt even have dials.

[This message was edited by armandh on Oct. 24, 2002 at 06:38 AM.]
    more hay, less grain

OK, shove over and make room for me. 1954 baby, barely remember Spin & Marty, do remember Fury, who was my childhood idol, and to this day remain an avowed Three Stooges fan.

Hubert Rohrer? OMG... brings back awful memories! In the early 70's a bunch of us from SUNY Stony Brook would go to his farm in CT to spend a week in intensive training. Hubert was teaching (and nookying) with a woman named Alex. Those were some of my unhappiest riding experiences, unfortunately. I think his claim to fame in those days was that he'd ridden with the Spanish Riding School.... but he was a nasty, demeaning chauvanist.

I remember Rodney riding Idle Dice in the Garden. And I remember Frank Chapot and Neal Schapiro on the USET, with Carol Thompson.

'scuse me... time for some tea and knitting. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Lynn36331 Guest

I'm new to this board, but far from new in this world. I personally think 1947 was a good year. I just started riding 10 years ago and am still a novice.....Guess I'm slow at some things...... But I do love my horses..... I have a 4 y/o TWH gelding and an aged Appy.. Lynn

I really enjoyed seeing this post!
    Almost within a year I will see 50! (There, I've said it! eek). Still feels like a joke, or a mistake! Don't 'feel like almost 50' according to what I THOUGHT it was SUPPOSED to feel like!

Anyhow, riding is as much fun as ever....maybe more.

'Fossils over Fences' - that is so great!

Coreene HBTY November 1????!!!!!

I am fine with being 45 and YES my first ratcatcher had French Cuffs ( and pleats!). Thought it was way too cool.

TODAY (mark your calender and hold on to your hats)

I GOT CARDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I was at the self check out at the grocery store getting kitty litter and antihistamines. I looked up at the lady at the control panel and yelled.

"You Made My Day"

(They card for antihistamines now, not the kitty litter [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] )

_\\]
    -- * > hoopoe
    The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.

[This message was edited by hoopoe on Oct. 23, 2002 at 10:42 PM.]
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

I did too! I wasn't going to post on this thread, because, you know, I am a young, spritely 40 and a bit.

Tonite I got the thrill of my life at the Mexican restaurant.....both my husband and I got carded. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] He's greying big time, and yeah, I bet I looked 21 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]. My guess is they have this corporate policy to card "all the old people" so it will make them all happy so they drink more margeuritas. Worked for me! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I had french cuffs on my ratcatcher too fwiw. I am old in spirit, does that count?

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
    Ellipses users clique ...
    TGFPT,HYOOTGP

Here's a picture for you. This is what showing looked like when I was little. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1966.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	8198  

Oh my! I was skimming this thread and wow! Look NO saddle pad!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

That is priceless!

"You can tell a gelding, you can ask a mare, but you must discuss it with a stallion." - Unknown

O.K. Here's one for the memory...if you learned to read using Dick and Jane, what were the names of the dog and cat? And does anyone from the Richmond,Va area remember when the " pony pasture " really Was a pony pasture? Yes I've been around a while and I think I'm going to buy stock in the company that makes those great mounting blocks - or as we call them, loading ramps. So what if I've still got my first grade lunch box with Roy Rogers on it! It oughta' be classic by now. And I've also got a copy of the Royal Lipp. show program with Hubert's name in it. By the way LaurieB, when DID we start using saddle pads?!!!!! Great pic!!!

And I bet the wool and tailoring on that jacket were amazing.

Yup, no saddle pad.

I like the looks of you!

_\\]
    -- * > hoopoe
    The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

What a wonderful time to start this group! Vintage 1955 here and its nice to see who all these bright, brave, humorous women are. Please let me Join!!

What about Fury of the Broken Wheel Ranch? Joey? Packy? What was Packy's horse's name? Lucky, right? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Remember the race with Joey and Fury and the snotty rich kid who rode Ajax!!! (OK, June, calm down, calm down...it's OK, you're just excited that you met this particular group... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img])
    June
    \"The world\'s greatest achievements often happen on the edge of chaos\"

Oh no, I remember Spin and Marty, and I met Trigger and Buttermilk in a parking lot. I'm a 1944 model....and you know, I still think I have some good years astride left.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Hey, JReid, don't forget Nellybelle, Gabby Hayes' jeep! This is so fun....here's a few of my memories: I rode a Crosby Torino, extra forward, without a saddle pad of course, and it had Prussian style stirrups, not Fillis. I had a balding girth without any elastic ends of course; in fact, the only elastic to be found was the little elastic strap on my hunt cap! My saddle wish was a Stubben Wotan, which was listed in the Kaufman's catalog for around $250!

1946 model. Rode with Arthur Konyot & Capt. William Heyer (see Greatest Show on Earth) in Sarasota, FL. Riding on the Sunshine Circuit and watching Frank Capot, Rodney Jenkins, and those wonderful jump offs, etc. Roadster-to-Bike classes, parade horse classes - those all-breed shows when my class finally got in the ring at midnite and the exhibitor's parties. How about Hoppalong Cassidy and Johnnie Mack Brown?

Forgot about Honey Craven in his formal red coat at some of those Florida shows.

[This message was edited by Elsie on Oct. 24, 2002 at 10:17 AM.]

Does it count that I'm old, but haven't been riding that long? (Not counting summer camp as a kid...)