The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

"...
    Buffalo Bob: Say kids, what time is it?
    Kids: It's Howdy Doody Time!

It's Howdy Doody Time.
    It's Howdy Doody Time.
    Bob Smith and Howdy Do
    Say Howdy Do to you.
    Let's give a rousing cheer,
    Cause Howdy Doody's here,
    It's time to start the show,
    So kids let's go!

..."

I started showing in 1965 and stopped (when I went to college) in 1970. In those days, the only reason for using a saddle pad was if your horse had a sore back. They were thought of only as a device to keep the saddle clean, and since good horsemanship dictated that tack be cleaned after every ride... saddle pads were superfluous. At least where I rode. All my pictures from that era are sans pad.

Funny to think about it now, in those days we did the entire east coast show circuit which stretched (only) from Connecticut to Virginia. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	msg-pride.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	6788  

I've posted this 1965 photo before (I was 17). I loved that sky blue jacket with the canary breeches. And don't forget the little straps that went through the loop at the backs of our boots and then around our legs!

SillyHorse
    ~ I do whatever my Rice Krispies tell me to.

[This message was edited by SillyHorse on Oct. 24, 2002 at 11:43 AM.]

Name:	foxy65.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	8239  
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

Awesome pic LaurieB!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Oh, I love this topic! Add me to the list (old bay hunter and I are both of a certain age).

My father used to take me to Roy Rogers movies (in glorious black and white) on Saturday afternoons -- and at the age of 6, I wanted to be a cowgirl when I grew up more than anything. I also remember listening to Tom Mix, Sky King, and Bobby Benson and the B-Bar-B Riders on the radio (the kind that had vacuum tubes in it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ).

Started out H/J, evented into my 40's, back to H/J, got a new horse 12 years ago, started him H/J, evented him a little, then turned to dressage simply because he is a pretty lightly built guy, even though a little over 16.1, and I just figured he'd last longer as a dressage horse. He's showing 2nd/schooling 3rd, I ride 5, 6 days a week, we do trail trials (obstacle trail rides), fool around bareback, whatever. I figure it's the riding that keeps me "young." (For what it's worth - and not bragging, I usually can pass for about 10 years younger than my actual age. It's just genetics - my brother looks a lot younger than he is, too.)

[This message was edited by Sandy M on Oct. 24, 2002 at 01:07 PM.]

To my brain, that is!

Of course Dick and Jane's dog was Spot, but was the kitty named Fluff? I have no idea why that popped into my head...

Sorry I'm a bit young for this thread - never thought I'd say I'm ONLY 40! - but I just had to post the above revelation!

And now sheepishly I'm editing my post, since I've just read the second page of the thread and found that this question has already been answered, and it's Puff. Do I get a point for being close?

Oh, and I rode a bit with Hubert Rohrer too, when he was based in Pittsburgh. He certainly was a character

Former H/J, former eventer, DQ wannabe for the present (and trail rider).

Remember Tonto? Heck, I remember Milton Berle in drag as Lady Godiva (MOmmy, a horse, a horse!!!)
    Buffalo Bill, Jr., "Hey wait for me, Wild Bill" (what kinda horse is that spotted one, mommy? An Appaloosa? I WANT one!), etc.

Well, I got the Appy - several of them over the years! LOL

Proudly 51, glad to still be here and riding!

An old Miller's catalog we got from my riding teacher, I treasured it for years. The Stubben Sigfried was $199 and the Lorelei was $225.

My first breeches were canary, with buttons and absolutely no stretch (but pouffy), and my coat was black, black, black. Talk about "tradition"!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

cinnabar I believe Dick, Jane, and Sally's kitty was Puff.

I saw the Spanish Riding School perform when Jackie Kennedy brought them over in the 60s.

1952 was a very good year!

\"So? We\'re Red Sox fans, psychosis is expected.\"

USET (jumping) was
    Bill Steinkraus
    Frank Chapot
    Mary Chapot
    Kathy Kusner.

Saddle pads were only for schooling, never for showing.

Ponies only came in two sizes: small and large.

The strap on your boot went between the 2nd and 3rd buttons on your britches.

The big innovation in britches was when you could get front zips in women's britches- I can't understand why anyone would WANT to go back to side zips.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

And I remember going to Kaufmann's in NYC and Miller's (liked Kaufmann's better) and Eiser's in Hillside NJ, not too far from the Pingry School where all my brothers went!

I remember loving my rust breeches because they were the first stretch breeches I'd ever worn and wore them ratcatching before opening meet when of course we changed what we wore; I remember still how to tie a stock and the reason they were worn [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Absolutely love this thread!
    \"The world\'s greatest achievements often happen on the edge of chaos\"

Was that when they appeared in the old Madison Square Garden? Daddy took us and it was such an adventure! Driving into Manhattan in the dark, eating out all dressed up and then the evening of the SRS! It was just like the Wesley Dennis book about the young rider who trains at the SRS; especially the aires above the ground although the Levade has always been my favourite! Now,...what was the name of that book and maybe it was illustrated by Wesley Dennis and written by Magaret Campbell Self?? Didn't they collaborate on a number of books like "Five o'Clock Charlie"??

I remember that night like it was last week? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Why can't I remember where I put something last week? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Oh ,Sillyhorse! Was that an OUTSIDE course! Glory! I'll bet the fences were at least 3'6", too! Ain't life grand!!!

1948 model - I remember "all of the above", plus "My Friend Flicka." I still have my original Mousketeer ears, and "Spin and Marty" were my 2nd favorites, right after the Hardy boys.

I didn't start riding until my mid 30's, so I don't remember all the horse stuff you guys do, but I remember enjoying a lot more freedom to run and enjoy myself than kids in this messed up world today have.

Of course, that means that I also remember "Duck and Cover."

---------------------------
    "We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.
    Aristotle
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I LOVE your jumping pic-that is JUST awesome....

I want more pics-more pics everyone!

"You can tell a gelding, you can ask a mare, but you must discuss it with a stallion." - Unknown

I remember that too! In school, right? In Kindergarten, we had fire drills and then "other" drills where we were to, at the sound of that "different siren" go single file to where our coats were, crouch down, cover our eyes and stay there until the nuns told us to do what next...

guess each generation has its own demons to deal with; we didn't worry about snipers. A big flash we heard would be a bad thing, but not the immediacy (sp?) of being shot going to school. And what lessened it for me was that after the big flash, my family had a plan for collecting all their scholars and a fancy, big wooden wagon with spiffy red sides and we would all go for a hike to my grandfather's farm. This would have been a hike from Short Hills, NJ to Oldwick, NJ and didn't involve Rt. 22 but back roads. Glad I was not a parent making these kinds of plans over the sleeping figures of my seven children. We even discussed who would carry what cans of food. Mom and Dad made it sound like an adventure! The wagon was for the food and toddlers. Still can't see one of those fancy wagons without thinking of that...

this is the old man, and me at 17. Saddle pads no longer meant you were ignorant about properly fitting saddles. It was at my grandad's farm where we permanently moved to in '68.

Big Boy Beaver never refused a fence. I had him from an unbroken 3 yr old (dob '65) until I put him to sleep not too many years ago. I loved him. He was the horse of my life.

Name:	june_and_old_man_having_fun.JPG 
Views:	218 
Size:	291.0 KB 
ID:	5596  

OMG that is HUGE [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

We hunters of today should hang our heads in shame!

"You can tell a gelding, you can ask a mare, but you must discuss it with a stallion." - Unknown