The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cross fencing with electric tape - use electric gate or regular?

I am putting up about 650 feet of cross fencing, and it will have one gate at one side. The new fencing is electric tape (Horseguard bipolar, 2 strands, solar) on round wood posts.

I go back and forth about whether to use an electric gate or a store bought metal one.

Any thoughts on which is safer? It will not be used very much, just for infrequent access with tractor etc. Horses will come in and out through another gate.

Any pros and cons of electric gates? The rest of my fencing is pipe top rail with wire mesh, so I am new to electric fencing.

Thank you!
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

For infrequent use, an electric gate would be fine. For daily use, I'd put in a real gate. Moving horses through an electric gate often would be a PITA.

Agree, just use the material you'll have - electric gate. Set a post before the last one such that you can hook the gate handles onto something to keep the gate tape out of the way of the opening if you need to leave it open to get something through.

I like the coiled electric fence gates.
    http://www.electric-horse-fence.com/...ates/index.htm
    You need to scroll down the page to 05-01 (pictured with a yellow handle)
    Edit: Although I see that one is not safe for horses but 08-25 is safe for horses
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

But that very gate is actual listed, in bold, as "rated as unsafe for horses".

The Horseguard gate, which is just a handle attached to the already electrified tape, is quite safe.

As well, it's the gate end, the handles, that provide the other end of the tensioned tape. You can't get that with a spring/coiled handle/gate.

We have store bought steel gates where we use them frequently and tape gates where they are not used often. With the steel gates we have those spring gates across them which keep the horses from pushing on the steel gates.

I agree with everyone else. All our cross fencing on both this and the last farm is 2 strand horseguard. We started out just using the tape gates everywhere but they become old fast if you use them frequently. Hard to get one horse out without the others coming out, if the ground is wet and it tape touches the ground it starts sparking which spooks the horses etc.

So, for infrequent use the Horseguard gate handles are fine and cost effective. For more frequent use, put in a regular gate. If you put the gate in the middle of the fence you will have to run insulated wire underneath and hook it back up on the other side (or maybe with the bipolar you don't have to?)

Still have to re-connect the electricity, bi-polar or not The bi-polar just does away with the need for ground rods

Remember too if you have a gait - tape or otherwise - in the middle of the fence, you need corner/gate posts there, not just line posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    I agree with everyone else. All our cross fencing on both this and the last farm is 2 strand horseguard. We started out just using the tape gates everywhere but they become old fast if you use them frequently. Hard to get one horse out without the others coming out, if the ground is wet and it tape touches the ground it starts sparking which spooks the horses etc.

So, for infrequent use the Horseguard gate handles are fine and cost effective. For more frequent use, put in a regular gate. If you put the gate in the middle of the fence you will have to run insulated wire underneath and hook it back up on the other side (or maybe with the bipolar you don't have to?)
    I also agree.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Please do not use the wire coil gates with horses. I had two of them for a short time when we first fenced our place and brought horses home. Horrible! A horse tail tangles in the coil very easily then is caught. the horse freaks because a monster has them by the tail and bolts. Coil stretches, hair get ripped out, coil snaps, gate is gone and horses go thru the gate. Oh, horse may continue to run around the field in panic as part of gate is still attached to tail.

After one such episode I threw the second one away and replaced both with electric bungee gates which have worked well and safely for years. Much easier than tape gates, cheaper than metal and no accidents. I have watched my horses "learn" what these gates are about and back off them. If you have the sort of horses that do crash thru fences then you should go with pipe gates. Of course, then can easily just run thru the electric fence too.

chicamux

Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post

We have a 20 something foot wide space in the fence that we take down for the truck to turn around with the trailer and having the gate handles and an electric gate is wonderful.

Using it for daily use? Not so great.

I have shocked the crud out of myself trying to hook it back together in the dark, and having to bend down and pick the right handle out of three off the ground or better yet untangle them while hanging on to a horse that would really like to do a little capering about is not for the faint of heart.

Even as a fence space we have set it up with end posts.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I had a temp fence set up, used the gate handles and tape for my gate. I would take the bottom handle and hook it to the middle handle, take the middle handle and hook it to the top handle, and then I just used the top handle to open the gate, and could hang on to that while leading a horse through. If I set the fiberglass posts right, I can then hook that top handle over one, which pulls the whole thing out of the way.

But yes, for regular use, the tape gate is a bit of a pita.