The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I sorta agree. This isn't to say that Colin posts the most relative posts or that Aiden and his supporters have no place on the boards, but if you aren't following every last update about Aiden, it gets a little tiresome seeing four or five new threads about him all the time. It IS a horse BB, and we ARE having an auction for him, which I think is wonderful, but Colin does have a point that he is not the only sick or needy person ever to affect a BBer. Hell, I could sure use $100,000 to kick off my A-show career, want to host an auction benefitting me? Like I said, I'm all for helping out Lisa and Joey and baby Aiden, but after awhile it does sort of lose its place on the BB.
    As for Willem threads, I loff Willem and find his posts to be funny and informative, but (as was hashed and rehashed on the other thread) sometimes the imitators' threads, flattering as they might be, grow tiresome.
    As far as "if you don't like it, don't read it", I think that that's fine as far as single issues go. But a complaint about the content of the BB as a whole I think is valid, even though as a previous poster said, Colin didn't sugar-coat it. I also feel that perhaps many other BBers silently agree with what she is saying and just don't want to say it themselves. However, maybe an email to Erin about slightly stricter moderation would have been a better way of expressing one's opinion.

JMHO, no flames, please.

*EMMA*

Can't everyone just relax?

Colin, this is Off Course for those "topics that don’t fit anywhere else!" If you are so interested in participating in a 'conversation' there are 8 other areas to go on every aspect of horse sports, breeding, care, etc.

I've only been here about a year, but geez. Isn't there room for everyone? Including Baby Aiden and Willem?

Plus, excuse me. I don't see any other massive drives to raise money. This is the only one.

Why are you getting so bent out of shape? Why are you so angry?

Just a thought...
    KT

Proud member of the SunnieFlax Clique
    P.S. Only 70 days till I pick up my youngster. Yahoo.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

Since your head has not been bashed to pieces, you won't have a concept of what I am talking about. However, mine unfortunately has. Because of people like Robby Johnson taking the time to post the ins and outs of brain injuries, and others like myself who bothered enough about others to share what happened to them, a few more people are wearing a helmet. And if it saved even ONE person from going through what I did, then it was worth it and I really don't give a s@#$ if you liked that thread or not. Because - surprise surprise - it was NOT about you.

[This message was edited by Portia on Nov. 27, 2002 at 01:37 PM.]
    EDDIE WOULD GO

...this is NOT against Baby Aiden, whom I feel terribly sorry for and genuinely wish him the very very best.

..this is NOT against Willem, whose posts are hilarious.....

More so, it is a GENERAL statement about the COTH BB as a WHOLE. I simply do not think that 20+ threads about baby aiden belong a horse bulletin board.

And the Willem take offs have just gotten a bit too annoying......gone overboard.

Again, this nothing personal or an attack on anyone individually.

like, eight new posts since I started mine [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] Chill, people! Really, take some deep breaths. Just cause Colin doesn't like something doesn't mean anyone needs to agree!

*EMMA*

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    EDDIE WOULD GO

See everyone, some people actually DO express the same feelings as Coln.

These aren't bad people either. These are people who on a day to day basis contribute GREAT horse-related information.

Take off the rose-colored glasses...the BB has changed.

Having been here for a while, I notice that the topics are cyclical.

We moan over the helmet threads recurrence, we sigh when a new member posts a frequently asked question without searching on the subject. Then somenew issue comes along to focus on.

Topics get locked for being mean, non-horse related or for degenerating into bickering. We are repeatedly reminded to not read a topic that we aren't interested in and to leave the moderating to the moderators.

When things have been particularly bad, the moderating is done with an eagle eye and heavy hand. When the mood is lighter, much more leeway seems allowed.

Colin (while not being diplomatic) is stating an opinion. She is entitled to it.

Friendship is Love without his wings
    -Lord Byron
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

I agree with Coreene. And I don't take any of this personally... since I am a clone Willem in disguise (!!!) Am I going to continue posting for my horsie. Of course. It's a great way to learn...

Just a thought...
    KT

Proud member of the SunnieFlax Clique
    P.S. Only 70 days till I pick up my youngster. Yahoo.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coreene:
    Since your head has not been bashed to pieces, you won't have a concept of what I am talking about. However, mine unfortunately has. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So since helmet threads and Willem threads are all about Coreene they are ok????

Maybe you need your own bb......

I going to go with my assuption that you are a child.... You have to be under 18 to have stated our dislike of these things... I dont read all the threads, I dont read the williem threads(I assume you had to have been there from the beginning for that). You may pick and choose what your read.. But only an under aged, Not-living in reality yet, child woud put down a fundraiser for a baby that is sick!!! I am not even one of the sopporters, I havent sent in money ,I couldnt afford to, but the fact that SO MANY other BB's could unite and do this is amazeing.
    The mother is a horse lover and a member of this group, How dare you think that you could saysuch a negative thing about that subject. Oh yes there is free speech and such but,....... YOU dear need to draw the line.. Go back to Kindergarten...... remember, "if you dont have something nice to say dont say anything at all?"

I think this board is beyond doubt the most wonderful board ever.... just for the fact of befriending aidens parents and helping how they could....

YOU HAVE HIT A NERVE...
    It is one thing to state our opinions about trivial matters it is CLEARLY another thing when you strike out to offend about a sick child, Yes we all have sick people in our families as YOU have stated, but she (aidens mother) decided to share and I for one am glad she did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So grow up!

Kristine ~ owned by two silly, silly tb's

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colin:
    I leave for a few months to work and come back to....

- 15 Willem threads (It was cute in the beginning. It's annoying now)

- I love the Moderator threads (Who really loves the moderators?)

- STILL more helmet threads (Didn't this die like a year ago?)

- Baby Aiden updates and auctions (I do feel sorry for the child, but this is a horse web site - and I am sure that MANY MANY people that post here have sick/dying family and friends that they don't bother to post about on this bb - the COTH BB it is not the place. Where do you draw the line?)

Obviously the DQ's have taken over in my absence. Guess this is what I get for leaving a hokie in charge.

Oh....so very disappointing....... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find myself sympathizing with colin. The Baby Aiden has become a crusade of the bb, and I think it's a wonderful opportunity for the child, but I just don't really feel a connection. And i don't mean to be rude and insensitive; a good friend of mine's baby is also in dire straits, and I pray for her every hour of every day.

The "love the moderator threads" are great, but I think too many people start them. One good, long one now and then would be enough (wow, take that one out of context)

Willem, well, I have a hard time reading them, so I avoid them, but the ones I take the time to decipher are very witty, and I could see it evolving into a book.

Helmets, yes, too many threads, but if it's saving lives, which we'll never be able to quantify, then I can't argue against their existence.

I'll put money on the fact that I've never been heralded on any of the "best of the bb" threads (never read 'em, so really wouldn't know), now y'all know why.

It is amazing to me that as long as it was all about YOU, all this off topic banter was OK, but now that it's not about you and your Va clique, it's not OK. The street goes 2 ways.

Coreene, we loff you and Willem.
    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kmk:

YOU HAVE HIT A NERVE...

Kristine ~ owned by two silly, silly tb's<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can have that nerve removed you know...... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Coreene:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I really don't give a s#%$ if you liked that thread or not<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm...

Wings: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>When things have been particularly bad, the moderating is done with an eagle eye and heavy hand. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I had posted what Coreene just posted, I would have been handed my walking papers.

[This message was edited by Portia on Nov. 27, 2002 at 01:38 PM.]

kmk, NOWHERE did Colin say anything bad about Baby Aiden or the fundraiser. As a matter of fact a couple of posts up she said some very KIND things about them.

She may be crazy, but really, she's not MEAN [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

--- And how did you feel about being denied these Hungry Hippos?
    ------------------------------
    Life Goes On

I'm very new here so have no history BUT, I do know that topics (like helmet threads) will be repeated on this type of board and I think that this is a good thing esp. for those ppl who are new and reading for the first time. That is from a newbie's point of view.

Also froma newbie's point of view - this is by far the nicest web board I have participated in so far. I gave up on Cyberhorse and a number of others as I got sick of the really nasty posts from ppl (not directed at me but directed at ppl that I considered my friends or even complete strangers - I hate conflict) .

I am also of the opinion that if you don't like it, simply don't read it. At least on this board you can look at a thread heading and determine whether you need/want to read it at all. I participate in another equine web noticeboard with NZ riders and that is set up in a way that you can see the contents of every thread so you can't help but read/see ALL the posts. I love that board but it gets very frustrating also.

Colin, I don't know ya and I do kinda hear ya altho I hear everyone else as well who reads your posts as being insensitive. Your initial post did sound really insensitive and hit a lot of ppl in the face who then proceeded to flame you because they felt strongly about what you were saying.

I'm not going to say 'Make love not war', or 'kiss and make up', but I am going to say 'thank you' to everyone who has made me feel welcome on here, I think that this is a nice place to be.

Remember, moderators/posters/everyone, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

JM2CW [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Loopy Lu

Proud member of the IDAC clique
    Louise Wilsden
    TF Sport Horses ~ Breeders of beautiful Clydesdale, Irish and NZ Sport Horses

My BLOG

The helmet threads are not all about me.

None of this is about me. My God, Betsy, what side of bed did you get out on this morning?

The Aiden threads, which seem to bother you so much, and the result of them are so newsworthy that other sites are covering it and People magazine is thinking of running a story on it.

The helmet threads mean that a few people have their heads protected, where previously they were not. Sorry if this bothers you - if you don't like 'em, don't read them.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Just the 20+ various ongoing threads that are not horse related and don't belong on this bb. Baby Aiden DOES belong in People Magazine. Far more appropriate than here.

hey, hey, hey - come on you guys, let's not be "us against them."

We all love horses, we all enjoy the boards, we may not always agree on everything but let's not all kill each other and say or post things we will regret later.

Can we maybe look for a solution or another way to handle this? OK - don't shoot me please!

Emma, you are terrific. I would really like to meet you - you just have a very sensible way of putting things.