The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Miss my barn swallows

I had a problem with English House Sparrows last year. Thanks to the advice on this board I was able to eradicate them, but my swallows have not returned..sigh..I really miss their chatter, their graceful swooping and them following me around on the lawn mower...There, I said it, I don't feel any better, but I got it off my chest.

it might be a while. I guess you can provide them with small ledges on which to build their nests, just keep an eye out that nothing else moves in...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I don't know where you're located Tradewind but my swallows just showed up here in western NY yesterday. They've been flying through the barn aisle and around so I'm hoping they build a new nest and stay. I've had some bad luck with hawks or something going after not just eggs but baby swallows. I hope this yr Mom and Pop Swallow have better luck. I thoroughly enjoy watching flight school for the babies.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

MSJ, I am in PA...I have seen them in the area, just not in my barn. I had so many pairs for so many years. Then the sparrows hit and drove them off in 2 summers..I went to great pains to get rid of them, but alas, I am not hopefull at this moment that they are ever coming back....

put a pan with mud out for them!

is it Misty Blue or JSwan who does that for their birds or both?)
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Ive seen them in my barn for about 3 days now. The telltale dropping from the trusses above my wash rack are now appearing. . I saw one go to the nest today - maybe to lay an egg ? Love those little rascals.

Mine showed up March 13, have 5 little ones who up and flying already. They are just outside our back door (can't use the barn like their name implies)...just love them!

My barn sparrows seem to be doing OK but I'm having trouble attracting their cousins, the Purple Martins. They showed up friday so I put their house up. And the D^mm sparrows promptly moved in.

The house is to heavy and awkward for me to take down and clean. I used to shoot the little buggers with BB pellets but alas my elcheapo pellet gun has breathed its last
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

How can you get rid of the sparrows? They go into the bluebird houses and kill the babies. I have seen them in huge numbers this year in the barn, waiting for the swallow babies to hatch.

I guess I can presume that last year they got the OP's swallow babies, so that this year there aren't any to come 'home' to where they were born (ie, the barn).
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

They drove them off before they even had any babies...I hate them!

When we moved in, we had one nest of swallows. We loved watching the babies hatch, watching them care for them, watching them learn to fly...

This year, we have FOUR NESTS on our house. I cannot go outside without being dive-bombed. They defend a HUGE territory, too. They chase me out in the pasture, the garden, etc.

I love nature. I love animals. But I am coming to hate these birds! After the kids learn to fly and they all leave, we're tearing all four nests down.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    When we moved in, we had one nest of swallows. We loved watching the babies hatch, watching them care for them, watching them learn to fly...

This year, we have FOUR NESTS on our house. I cannot go outside without being dive-bombed. They defend a HUGE territory, too. They chase me out in the pasture, the garden, etc.

I love nature. I love animals. But I am coming to hate these birds! After the kids learn to fly and they all leave, we're tearing all four nests down.

give them support ledges on the far side of the barn. You can have the best of both worlds!

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post

I would gladly take your swallows if you will take my sparrows!
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Don't give up yet!

I had swallows nesting inside my barn for 4 years running - amusing me, annoying the barncats and eating all the mosquitos they could catch (which was a LOT!).

Then last year (cue JAWS theme) the %^&* sparrows moved in, took over the neat little swallows' nests and put up their own ghetto messy nest.
    Which promptyl fell to the ground.
    As far as I could tell no sparrows hatched inside the barn, but they did drive out the swallows.

This year the sparrows tried again, failed again, left me a mess...BUT:
    I saw a swallow checking out the ledge they used just last week.
    So I am hopeful they will come back.

I know the sparrows are invasive, but I can't hate them totally.
    After all, they stick around all Winter, right?
    And they have been here so long I really can't consider them non-native any longer.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

While our Tree Swallows arrived 3 weeks ago, I haven't seen any Barn Swallows yet. But give them a little time. I keep records every year re: "seasonal firsts" - when trees leaf out, flowers bloom, insects/reptiles/birds etc. reappear, & for the last several years they've shown up here between 4/28 & 5/11. So while I don't know where you're located, here in VA they should be showing up any day now.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    My barn sparrows seem to be doing OK but I'm having trouble attracting their cousins, the Purple Martins. They showed up friday so I put their house up. And the D^mm sparrows promptly moved in.

The house is to heavy and awkward for me to take down and clean. I used to shoot the little buggers with BB pellets but alas my elcheapo pellet gun has breathed its last
    My Purple Martin house glides up and down the pole. Very easy to clean and do nest checks. This model also seems to attract Purple Martins very easily. It's certainly not cheap, but after 8 years, mine still looks like new. http://marvingardensstore.com/bird-f...le-system.html

I envy you guys that have barn swallows. We get tree swallows that fly through every year, hundreds of them, very cool!!!!!!!

Can someone link to the thread on how to get rid of sparrows? Sparrows have taken over the houses we used to have violet-green swallows in.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    give them support ledges on the far side of the barn. You can have the best of both worlds!
    I am hoping we can get them to relocate to the barn. I may not be thrilled with them dive-bombing me there, but I WOULD like them to eat mosquitoes.

Of course, Lord Meow the barn cat (guess how he got his name? ) does climb in the rafters and barn roof and would probably eat them...
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

This year my pair are doing like they did a yr ago. That is building an in-law apartment right next to the main nest. It wasn't used before but I will be interested in seeing if they use it this yr. The in-law nest is much smaller but only about 2-3" away from the main nest.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I really love my barn swallows and normally indulge all their whims. However this year I have one pair who is building a nest in my garage right over my back door. So I have been using the front door (on a FARM!!!!!) but anyone who forgets and goes in through the garage gets divebombed
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH