The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I hunted my Arab stallion years ago.
    He was a perfect gentleman.
    The first time he was out, some of the other members thought I was riding my gelding.
    (Apparently all grey Arabs look alike )
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Never mind about the music, found it. David Newman from the Serenity soundtrack

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    Jynx, he is LOVELY! What a handsome, handsome stud.

what is the music to the video?
    Thanks! He is fun. I have been taking him out on the trails. He is incredibly alert. I'm going to give him time to get his head out of the show ring.

He is not used to being outside the whole day, either. He gets turned out about seven in the morning, and by three in the afternoon he is ready to go in. He calls to any human he sees and goes to the gate. And so far, we haven't seen him pee outside. He always does as soon as he gets in his stall. And he doesn't care if other horses are around. He likes to see them out the window, but if they aren't there he is fine. He just eats and sleeps.
    Last edited by Jynx; Jun. 2, 2012 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    Jynx, he is LOVELY! What a handsome, handsome stud.

what is the music to the video?

Yes: my observation and question as well, that music is quite lovely!

Your boy will love hunting. Free at last!

Personally, as a stallion owner, and a fieldmaster at Live Oak Hounds for many years.....I would think twice about hunting a stallion. They may have impeccable manners.........but sh..! happens in a foxhunt. You may hit a hole, get run into, slip, etc.......and should you come off (which can happen to ANYONE in a hunt....and I've seen some of the best bite the dust, including me, haha!)........you then have a stallion running loose........which could be a problem for the safety of others and their horses! (and mares).........
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

On Thursday I took Cody out to the kennels to walk hounds. The only people there were my husband on his mare, the huntsman on his gelding and one of the masters on her gelding. It did drive home the extra precautions I took just for that. Normally, if I am hunting my mare, if I have to take a quick trip behind the trailer before mounting, I can just hand my mare to my husband. Now I have to think ahead.

Since I had no idea how he would be, I went out with the notion that if I didn't even get on him, it would still tell me a lot. As soon as the hounds were let out of the kennel, half the pack surrounded us. Cody didn't even flinch, so as soon as they had been moved off, I got on him and caught up. The rest of it was great. Brakes worked, he was willing to turn around and go away from the action, etc. He caught on to the "hound herding" aspect of it. I could not have asked for more. My husband's mare is of course in heat, and she did flirt a little, but he was much more interested in the hounds.

Florida, I'm a backup fieldmaster, so your comments got me thinking about how I would feel if I had a stallion in my field. Hunting is full of "unforeseen eventualities" already. At this point of time, I think I'll stick to hound walking and dressage lessons with him, and use my trusty mare for hunting (such a good girl.)

I'm in no hurry, and having fun.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hello! I realized I never reported the conclusion of this little adventure.

Last summer I did take Cody to a polo event for a hunt parade. The big factor I was completely unaware of was that other horses knew he was a stallion. One normally mellow gelding acted studdish. Several mares tries to sidle up to him ("Hhi ther big guy!"). I gave up on the whole idea of taking him out in the field. There are just too many opportunities for trouble, e.g. if a little kid was out on a pony that happened to be in heat.

So Cody is now is a dressage horse. The cutest thing he is up to is wading in the pond in his pasture to eat the cattails. Often he is up to his belly in water and actually ducks his head underwater.

5 members found this post helpful.

We have hunted several generations of stallions. A well-mannered horse with good training and social decorum is a great hunting horse. Watch out for bad horses, whatever their gender! And have fun!
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

We had a TB stallion hunting with us for years - never a spot of trouble, esp. as one poster said, it was not in breeding season. The owner always carried a dressage whip with her, but I never saw her use it. Most people would not have known she had a stallion and did not give her any special attention.

I think you have the right attitude ... if you think you are ready as a team go out on hound exercise or start at the back.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique