The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stallion in the field?

This week I am bringing home my Arabian stallion who is retired from the show ring. He was twice national champion in western sidesaddle and won nicely in western pleasure. I have permission from my huntsman and masters to at least bring him out to walk hounds and see how it goes.

I plan to immediately start dressage lessons with him, and one of the joint masters has offered to help me just get him out on trails and do some work a little faster that the show ring.

I have made it known that I will bow out with him if there are any problems, which I really don't expect since the horse is really a been there/done that guy. it suprises me that even at upper levels sometimes the western pleasure classes are wilder that the hunting field.

Does anyone have any experience they can share, good or bad? I'd like to avoid pitfalls and make this work. I have little use for a western pleasure horse! Aw, I love the guy! He's the second foal we ever had and I think he deserves hunting!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jynx; May. 6, 2012 at 09:26 AM.

No experience, but I have been at an Arab barn with stallions. They were very well behaved, and stalled next to each other. I do think they have better manners than other breeds, maybe because they are smaller (sorry) and more manageable.
    I did notice the stallions were not the problem though, it was the MARES around the stallions that caused the fuss. I was instructed to lead the mare past the stallions, but whatever I do dont stop. Sure enough she stopped and got quite a few lewd nickers So, I'd be prepared not only for your stallion's behavior but watchful about the mares around you.

My deceased stallion's sire hunted and no one even knew he was a stallion. His owner was a whip. My stallion was named after my dear friend and mentor, who was a Huntsman - his name was Master Huntsman. They were Thoroughbreds.
    PennyG

Eek! I hadn't thought of shameless mare hussies. I had already planned to stay a bit apart from the field at checks, so now I'll keep an eye on mares especially.

Horse in question: (five minute video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YiiF30cygQ

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jynx; May. 6, 2012 at 09:47 AM.

I don't know if this is still done. But it used to be that you'd put a yellow ribbon in the tail as a courtesy to mare owners.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I have just learned something. Western sidesaddle. Never even heard of it before. Nifty looking!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Belle Starr, the notorious outlaw in the late 19th century, always rode sidesaddle 'cuz it was ladylike.

The 'rule' for hunting- a rider MUST be able to control their horse under all circumstances- is not gender specific! I'd much rather be galloping along with a well mannered stallion than with some geldings and mares I've seen (rider competency being the main issue!).

A long time ago, I showed a stallion in western pleasure and could count on competitors trying to mess me up by parking their mares right in front. Happily he was sensitive of mane, and all I had to do was ensure I had a couple of mane hairs in my hand with the reins, the subtlest of corrections with the hairs got him refocused immediately on the rare occasions where he needed it. Woulda worked had I been hunting him, too!

Vicks his nose?

I tried the Vicks thing in the past - all it did was make my guy headshy.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I'm now a fan!
    Does he jump, too?
    Arabs are so smart and quick to understand. I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventures together.
    Intermediate Riding Skills

How lovely. The opposite whites really draw your eyes to his movement.

I agree - a well behaved horse of any breed is always welcome in the hunt field. We've had stallions who were well-behaved and well-ridden, and I think it's great for them to have a job rather than standing around by themselves at home with nothing to do.

He's beautiful - Good luck with him and send us an update.

I have never hunted, or wanted to hunt my stallions.......Had others to hunt, so not an issue. However, a friend had a stallion who hunted with LOH for awhile. He did fine and was very well behaved..........
    The only worry I had was what if the rider fell off..........which can happen to anyone foxhunting!! ( a hole, branch, slip, etc.) What would happen if the stallion were running loose?
    Just something to think about..............I know it;s been done often with success.
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

1 members found this post helpful.

Another good point!

(That's why I threw this out to you all.)

I did have a very humbling dressage lesson with him. Walk/trot were great, and he even learned shoulders in at the walk. But canter-sigh. He of course had no idea what dressage cues meant, and I have no idea how to just sit still and make kissy noises. (Huh???)

On the plus side, my dressage teacher says he is smart and kind, and really tries to please.

We have generations of hunting stallions, and they have never been a problem. Especially considering hunting season is when their libido is lower because hours of daylight are less. Even so, they compete during breeding season and it is no big deal. Eventing is the same lack of drama.
    A good horse is a good horse, no matter what the gender.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Quote Originally Posted by not again View Post
    We have generations of hunting stallions, and they have never been a problem. Especially considering hunting season is when their libido is lower because hours of daylight are less. Even so, they compete during breeding season and it is no big deal. Eventing is the same lack of drama.
    A good horse is a good horse, no matter what the gender.
    This is so true!

I was fortunate enough to be allowed to take our stallion hunting this past season. He was a perfect gentleman. He shows during breeding season as well and I use him to pony other horses regularly, so I knew he wouldn't be a problem.

Here are pics of opening hunt:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=ee55f0eb4b

I can understand that the biggest fear with stallions in the hunt field is if their rider has an "unplanned dismount", but it would be nice if more hunts would consider allowing them on a case by case basis. Not all stallions are created equal after all.

Yes Foxhaven did bring her boy out with us on our Opening Meet,his behaviour was impeccable.

We hunt our own stallion too.

But special permission is required,and if they step out of line even once they must go in.
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

I hunted my TB stallion Mt. Vidmore last winter. I took along a friend/babysitter on a reliable gelding and her job was to stay with me. The stallion was phenomenal -- especially after he realized there was no starting gate anywhere. The mares appeared to be a non-issue. We started out hilltopping, with permission to excuse ourselves if he was disruptive. I picked a fixture that I knew very well and was sure I would not get blocked into tight quarters anywhere I didn't want to be. It worked out great!

Hope you are successful as well. If your guy is anything like mine, I know he will love having a job.

Jynx, he is LOVELY! What a handsome, handsome stud.

what is the music to the video?