The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Hey Sparkles101-
    If you haven't already, you should check out this thread
    bigbay is extremely stupid and embarassed...

You won't get any flames from me because I live in a glass house!

Very glad to hear you're okay.

[This message was edited by bigbay on Jul. 08, 2002 at 01:50 AM.]
    \"It is good to be fine.\"

Thank God you were not killed. I did not even look at the pictures. Please learn from this mistake, not only the drinking part, but leaning down to pick something up. On the 21st of December last year(2001)I was rear ended by someone who was leaning down to pick up a pack of cigarettes. He hit me at about 50 mph, sent me into the path of a 3/4 ton pickup that hit me head on. My mother-in-law was killed instantly, my daughter Fractured her skull and bruised her spleen, and I suffered a grade 4 lacerated liver. I was rushed to Brandywine Trauma, had surgery and was then medevaced to University of Penn Hospital for another 3 surgeries. I did not regain conciousness until the 27 of December and was very ill for some time. I had to have a few more procedures after I was released in addition to the surgery. I am very luck to be alive. All of this for a $3.00 pack of cigarettes.

Well, I suppose you aren't the only lucky one - everyone else in your neighbourhood was lucky that you didn't drive into one of THEM.

I was lucky too, back in January when a very foolish, very lucky 16-year-old ran a red light and t-boned my pickup truck (a 2001 Mazda with 8,000 km on the odometer [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] ) on the passenger side as I was making a left-hand turn onto my street at around 5pm.

She hit me so hard that my truck flipped onto the driver's side and spun around 180 degrees. I quite literally didn't even know what hit me - halfway through my turn, I heard a crash and then started spinning. ("Tiffany" was driving a little Toyota Paseo, so you can imagine how fast she must have been going. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] )

I was VERY lucky - no major injuries at all, just the inevitable bruises and soft-tissue injuries to my back and neck. An RCMP collision analyst was one of the witnesses, so "Tiffany" was immediately charged.

And "Tiffany"? She was the luckiest, and most foolish, of all: she was not even wearing a seatbelt, yet somehow managed to escape with only a broken nose.

I'm glad that she sustained a minor, but very visible injury to remind her, for the rest of her life, how close she came to ruining many, many lives. Not only could I have been killed, but if she had been killed or paralyzed in the accident, it would have haunted me for the rest of my life - even though it was her doing.

After six months of pain, inconvenience (doctor's appts, physio appts, insurance appts, rental cars, courtesy cars, arguments with insurer, truck finally getting written off, etc. etc.), and emotional stress (I can't stop thinking about how that could have been IT; work was already a stressful mess and this was the icing on the cake; I am now overly-cautious when I drive, thinking everyone is going to hit me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] ), I'm sure you can understand why I'm a little hard-line on this subject...

I think sixteen is far too young to be driving a vehicle. The kind of maturity that is needed to drive a car safely doesn't show up until you're AT LEAST eighteen. The whole issue of raising the age limit for driving has been discussed a lot in the Vancouver area lately - there have been too many teenagers killed in car accidents around here in the last year or so. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

You were very foolish and you had no business at all driving that night. I hope that you have to do hard, unpleasant work and make a lot of sacrifices to pay for the damage that you caused. I'm glad that you posted your experience on this board, though - you will be thinking about your mistake rather than dismissing it.

HAC, I just read your post...I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother-in-law and the horrible trauma that your family has been subjected to. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

You and your daughter have my best wishes for a complete recovery. Take care.

I'm pertty sure she feels pretty f'ing bad on her own. Personal attacks and name calling aren't going to do any good. I can only IMAGINE the saddness and anger one feels losing a loved one to a reckless driver, but taking it out on a 17 year old who has probably already learned her lesson is almost mean.

Teenagers ARE foolish by definition, and questioning the friends is just as foolish. Unless Sparkles lives in an After School Special chances are the majority of her friends wouldn't know there was a real problem...and the minority of ones who KNEW she shouldn't be driving only the minority of THEM would say something. I may be 28 but I DO remember what it's like to be 17. (and no NOTHING like this has ever happened to me)

Sparkles, yup, pretty dumb thing to do, but I think you know that now. You have been SOOOO fortunate to learn this lesson the easy way. As you have no doubt read, many people have not been as lucky as you. Apologize to your parents whenEVER you think it neccessary and when they bring the hammer down take it like a man.

-- Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
    ------------------------------
    Life Goes On

Another cop checking in woth a story from just this past Thursday (4th of July):
    A very nice family was having their annual 4th of July party. After the parents' friends left (around 7 or 8), the son and daughter were having friends over to celebrate the son't graduation from fire academy. The FD in my city had sponsored him, but were not going to hire him due to 2 previous DUI's.
    Long story short: after spending the afternoon drinking, he decided to take a friend's "crotch-rocket" (Honda 900) out for a spin. He said he would be fine. Being a hot day, he didn't need a helmet. The road curved, he did not. He and the bike (at an estimated 51.75 mph on a 25mph road) crossed the center line, went off the left side of the road, hit a ditch, then a driveway and went airborne. He (and the bike) remained airborne until they struck a pole about 10 feet above the ground. The pole snapped, so did the bike frame. The bike frame came around and hit him in the back of the skull splitting his head open and sending him and the bike somersaulting down the side of the road. He came to rest about 250 feet from where he left the road. His brain lay in the ditch next to him. He was 1/4 mile from his home. His sister was one of the first to find him. He left a wife and 2 kids.

Don't drink and drive.

You know that place with the nude beaches? Not there.

A PASEO?! Geez, she may as well have been in a soda can! See the "Does God Protect Idiots" thread... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

As long as we're alive, who's to say we're not immortal? -me

www.geocities.com/winglet18
    Driven insane in the carpool lane...

Sparkles is 17. That is FOUR YEARS from the legal drinking age.

Who would give a 17 year old "a few beers"????? Certainly not me. Some "friends"??? Some of you reading this defend Sparkles because of her age. Well, I won't go into that. How do you defend someone who gives alcohol to a minor and then sits back and watches said minor go driving off?

This whole thing makes me ill.

I stand behind the Zero Tolerance advocates. Sorry, but though I think the United States of America is a great country, this is one issue that I think needs some major reform. To have someone place innocent lives in danger (or worse) then to have them walking (or worse, driving) the streets a free person while others are crippled or mourning simply because they can whine their way out of their responsibility? Something is very wrong here, I think.

Sparkles is very lucky not to have a few lives on her conscience for the rest of her life.

And I think her "friends" that gave her the beers need to have a severe talking-to.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

sounds like you have not only learned from your experience but you are hoping that if you share it with others you can prevent tragedies. stinks that you had to learn this one the hard way, i'm glad you are well and wiser for the experience.

thanks for sharing,

jacksmom
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

In very general, theoretical, and not personal terms, I wouldn't have much of a problem with 17 year olds drinking IF there wasn't the popular belief that they are not required to have better social and critical skills than infants.

I really don't think that teenagers are biologically incapable of acting like responsible young adults. Plenty of them do, and the rest are riding on the excuse that they're babies and shouldn't HAVE to think. The rest of us seem happy to help them with that excuse.

We're not very serious about enforcing strict DUI laws because we believe that a driver's license is a right, not a privilege. Can't take away someone's rights, even if they are an idiot and kill somebody.

If teens were pressured to act like adults with the attendant responsibility for their actions, and if DUI resulted in a long-term loss of the drivers license, I bet we'd see a real decline in the number of stupidity-induced deaths. Granted, there are always adults who are incapable of acting like adults, but still there would be some improvement in drunk driving incidence. The key is getting Americans to prioritize community safety over individual whims. (Yeah, that's gonna happen soon.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] )

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hitchinmygetalong:
    Sparkles is 17. That is FOUR YEARS from the legal drinking age.

Who would give a 17 year old "a few beers"????? Certainly not me. Some "friends"??? Some of you reading this defend Sparkles because of her age. Well, I won't go into that. How do you defend someone who gives alcohol to a minor and then sits back and watches said minor go driving off?

This whole thing makes me ill.

I stand behind the Zero Tolerance advocates. Sorry, but though I think the United States of America is a great country, this is one issue that I think needs some major reform. To have someone place innocent lives in danger (or worse) then to have them walking (or worse, driving) the streets a free person while others are crippled or mourning simply because they can whine their way out of their responsibility? Something is very wrong here, I think.

Sparkles is very lucky not to have a few lives on her conscience for the rest of her life.

And I think her "friends" that gave her the beers need to have a severe talking-to.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not saying that Sparkles gets a "Get Out of Jail Free" card (although she pretty much did) because of her age. She learned this lesson the easy way all considered. And I TOTALLY agree that what she did was REALLY stupid. I'm just saying that if y'all think that there aren't PLENTY of 17 year olds out there drinking then you haven't been 17 for a VERY long time.

YES, Sparkles should take responsibility
    YES, I would be the first to drop an Elbow on ANYONE whining about taking said responsibility (don't even get me started on kids not taking responsibility, it's one of my pet peeves I can go on and on about)
    and
    YES, teenegaers shouldn't drink, probably shouldn't drive period, and should have fabulously responsible "Brady Bunch" caliber friends who wouldn't allow someone to drive after a couple of beers.

in reality...

a LOT 17 year old kids drink...most 17 year old kids that drink are doing so around other 17 year old kids who drink. This already puts them in a class of people who aren't really to concerned with getting into trouble.

Sparkles made a bad decision that kicked her in the ass. Luckily she learned this lesson (which apparently was a lesson she NEEDED to learn) the easy way. All I was saying is telling her she's an awful person for making a stupid decision is enough to drive someone to drink... (THAT was a joke)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hobson:
    In very general, theoretical, and not personal terms, I wouldn't have much of a problem with 17 year olds drinking IF there wasn't the popular belief that they are not required to have better social and critical skills than infants.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't agree more Hobson! I'm not going to lie and say i didn't drink when I was 17...BUT i didn't EVER get behind the wheel of a car either. My parents drilled that into my head and it stuck.

-- Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
    Life Goes On

I did not take a breathalizer, they took blood. They sent the tubes to the crime lab so I have 2 weeks until they get back. My court date is scheduled for the end of the month. Since it is my first offense, I think it will be a 2 month suspension of my license and a $250 fine.
    Seeing a 17 year old out at a party drinking isn't unusal. Atleast not around here it isn't. I'm not sure why some of you are so shocked to hear that teenagers do drink. I hate to get off the subject.... I live in a very high teenage drug area. I would rather drink a beer anyday than snort some coke. I've had friends get busted for drugs recently. They had anything from pot, coke, K, Heroin, $150,000 cash to 2 guns. The thing is, he just turned 19. So what would you rather have, a kid who drinks at partys, or a kid who is facing 10-20 year for trafficing?
    Once again, sorry to get off topic, I just wanted to let you know that teenagers are far from perfect.

~Steph
    Oh and I have not taken offense to anything that's been said, I deserve it.

*Tapestry* 2000 Dutch WB mare by Contango
    *Desperado* 1998 Dutch/TB gelding by Glendale
    *Blazin' Magic* 2000 Welsh/TB gelding
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

Sparkles was VERY brave about posting this...why did she risk being flamed? To help others avoid the same mistake. Pretty unselfish in my book.

The reason there is such a problem with teens & alcohol & binge drinking in this counry (IMO) is because they are not taught how to drink. My mother let me have wine or beer with dinner when I was 17. It wasn't a big deal; it was family stuff.

And I have to disagree with the "drinking is better than drugs" thing. Alcohol IS a drug.

Not drinking & driving does not make a safe driver. Reaching down for chapstick/dialing a cell phone, tailgating etc. etc. while stone sober is just as bad.

Superheroes of the universe, unite! http://www.allmightysenators.com/super.html

http://hometown.aol.com/bgoosewood/index.html
    The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. Oscar Wilde

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sparkles101:
    So what would you rather have, a kid who drinks at partys, or a kid who is facing 10-20 year for trafficing?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think ideally one would hope to have a child who doesn't drink...second to that would be a kid who if they are going to have a beer or two would have the forethought NOT to get behind the wheel...Third would be to have a radiator to shackle said teeneage to.

Playing the lesser of 2 evils game is just gonna get you into trouble. There is NO way to look at your actions and come out anything but stinky [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bgoosewood:
    The reason there is such a problem with teens & alcohol & binge drinking in this counry (IMO) is because they are not taught how to drink. My mother let me have wine or beer with dinner when I was 17. It wasn't a big deal; it was family stuff.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't agree more, Betsy! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Life Goes On

Aaaaah, LM, that excuse ALWAYS got me into trouble!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Superheroes of the universe, unite! http://www.allmightysenators.com/super.html

http://hometown.aol.com/bgoosewood/index.html
    The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. Oscar Wilde

Can't really add much to all that's been said already but just felt like putting in a comment or two on this subject. I don't drink (except maybe for a weak Bloody Mary at Christmas or New Year's Eve), but I did in college (which was a VERY long time ago). Sure, I knew you weren't supposed to drink and drive, but I did. I remember driving home more than once solely by telling myself over and over again to "stay between the lines". [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Thank God (and a TON of luck), I never had an alcohol-induced accident and injured or killed anyone. However I did find myself in the ditch one morning on the way to work when I reached over to pick up my purse that had fallen on the floor (yes, I was completely sober, just completely stupid). My first new car was a mess, and I had a lot of 'splainin' to do to my parents when they saw it (gee Dad, that deer just jumped out RIGHT in front of me... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] ).

Then there was the horrific accident that happened to a friend's family back in the late 70's. His mother and very young sister (around 10 yrs old I think) were on their way home from an outing around 6 pm in their VW bug. A mile from their house, they were slammed into by a drunk driver who had just left a bar in Clifton. His mother and little sister were killed instantly. The drunkard walked away with minor injuries. I don't know what happened legally to the drunkard, but I do remember the heartbreak of how one selfish idiot instantly reduced a family of four to a family of two (my friend and his father).

Don't drink and drive, wear seatbelts ALL the time, and don't take your eyes off the road for even ONE second. Every time you hit the road, you're taking your life in your hands, as well as entrusting it to everyone else on the road (now that's a scary thought, eh?). Be careful out there folks.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bgoosewood:

well at least I'm not blah blah blah.......
    Aaaaah, LM, that excuse ALWAYS got me into trouble!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me Too Betsy...That's why I can say that to her [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I speak from experience.

But Mom and Dad, At least i just snuck out of the house in the middle of the night and rode with my friend to my boyfriend's house in my pajama's...I mean I could have robbed a liqour store 'er something

Life Goes On

My husband's parents also treated alcohol as no big deal (which IN the home of course), and he was allowed to have some if he so choosed. To this day, he credits that with his not having any interest in the stuff. I have a sister who thinks my husband and I are "weird" because we don't like to drink. She wonders how we can have a good time at parties. Well, number one, we're not partygoers and, number two, even if we were, we wouldn't hang around with people who feel that alcohol is essential to having a good time. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Now, what about wine festivals and other events where alcohol is served? Anyone wonder how the people who attend those things get home safely? I sure do. IMO, there should be police stationed at the exits to administer a breathylizer (sp) test to each and every driver before letting them out on the road. I know when it's time for Great Meadow to have a wine festival or spring/fall Gold Cup steeplechases (with those elaborate tailgate parties), we don't go anywhere near there. It's dangerous enough to hit the road around here without tempting fate even more. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    Equus Keepus Brokus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I would rather drink a beer anyday than snort some coke. I've had friends get busted for drugs recently. They had anything from pot, coke, K, Heroin, $150,000 cash to 2 guns. The thing is, he just turned 19. So what would you rather have, a kid who drinks at partys, or a kid who is facing 10-20 year for trafficing?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really resisted posting on this topic, but Sparkles' statement here speaks to a reluctance to take responsibility. Sure, tackling a couple of Coors Lights is better legally and physiologically than snorting a line of cocaine, but really, those are not the only choices. And I don't mean "just say no" either because that approach is not realistic or mature. No one is making you choose one drug over the other -- alcohol is a drug, a mighty powerful one. And it demands to be used responsibly, which means staying out of the driver's seat.

I do commend Sparkles for posting this topic and giving everyone, myself included, a lot to think about.

Personally I feel the consequences by the Delaware police are not enough....a 2month suspension? Gee, why not just put out your hand and be slapped and be done with it?

Until there are harsher penalties for things like this, kids are just going to say "oh well" , have their friends pick them up for those two months and then they get back in the car and get another chance to kill us!

Underage drinking and driving by a kid who has been driving one year....can you say "you get your license back when you are 21 if you are lucky"?....make an impact on the kids...or whomever. You screwed up, you pay a price that will actually impact your life.....

Just my $.02, but this bugs me that there is very little follow through.

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
    Ellipses users clique ...
    TGFPT,HYOOTGP