The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Well, first of all let me say I'm glad you're ok and nobody else got hurt.

That said, let me tell you a couple of things regarding drinking and driving. My dad's cousin, who we hadn't seen in 15 years, his very pregnant wife, three-year old twin daughters, and eight-year old son were all killed whn a drunk driver hit them. They were on their way to visit us, a five hour drive, and this happened less then an hour away from our house. My dad had to identify the remains of his dead family. Not a pretty thing, he spent a few years in counseling and had to take antidepressants for a while not only because of the trauma of seeing this but also because he felt guilty about talking them into coming to see us, some other family members blamed him as well for this and it really tore my family up for a long time.

My husband veered off the road to avoid a drunk driver when he was 17. Since he was an inexperienced driver as well, he overdid it and crashed in a ditch and literally wrapped his car around a tree. He's lucky to have his right foot, since the accident left his foot hanging by a tendon. He is 25 and can only walk a few hours provided he has the support of his shoes. When he comes home from work his ankle collapses and he can't walk. He already had at least four operations on his ankle, will probably need more every few years, and will probably be unable to walk by the time he's 50. He also has ulcers due to the often insane amounts of aspirin/ibuprofen/advil/celebrex "cocktails" he takes every day so his ankle, back, and neck won't hurt so much. He will never be pain-free, he can't ride a bike, he can't ride a horse, he can't run in the park with our dog, sometimes he can't even drive. Many nights he has to crawl upstairs to go to bed. Every night when he comes home his ankle is the size of a grapefruit so he puts ice on it. Many nights he can't fall asleep without sleeping pills, because not only his ankle hurts, but it also affects his neck and back.

I also must agree with the poster that mentioned, where were your "friends". They are not true friends if they let you drink so much and drive.

I'm off the soapbox now. Again, I'm glad it wasn't a more serious accident. Now, since you were brave enough to post this here, where people will hug you and rip you a new one at the same time, do others a service too and volunteer to speak at high schools, nag your friends, nag strangers, nag your family. Who cares if they don't like it. If you save just one life, it's worth it.
    Just because I have a short attention span doesn\'t mean I

To do as much damage to a truck that size, you must have been moving pretty fast. The thing that really bothers me here is that your crappy judgement not only put you in jeopardy, but everybody else who was on that road.

We can all say "whew, isn't she lucky"...but in reality what would you have done had you killed a whole family? I know that's harsh, but it's life. This is why I didn't even get in my car after 11 am yesterday. My daughter was getting out of a school bus when she was 6, and a 17 year old boy was eating a donut and driving to school. He blew thru the bus's lights and stop sign.

No, Hannah wasn't hurt, but this kid had the audacity to call me to see if I would recant and get his ticket revoked, because this was his 3rd offense and he was going to lose his license.

*let me shed a tear for this boy*....What I told him was this, take it FWIW---Driving is a priviledge. It takes concentration and attention to what is going on around you. I also told him that not having a license might make him think a bit about the benefits of driving, and how everyone in his family was going to have to pay the consequences for his poor choice.

I also told him that if he had killed my daughter, he would have gotten a phone call every June 26th, every Christmas, every Mother's day until I died, just to remind him what he had taken from me.

Most likely, at 17, he called me a bitch and gave it no more thought. I hope when he becomes a father and sends his kindergartener off, he can hark back to this and say 'oh, that's what she was talking about."....Life is so precious.

I am glad you are ok, but you are not invincible, nor are we. There are milllions of us every day living our own congruent lives in the same universe, hoping your poor choices don't intersect with ours. I thank you for posting, and hope that others will learn from your mistake-life is a blessing that should not be taken lightly.

*stepping down, but I couldnt' help myself...*

"stupidity should be painful".....it is.

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
    Ellipses users clique ...
    TGFPT,HYOOTGP

Ditto what everyone else has said- I'm just glad you didn't hurt anyone else, and I sure as hell hope you won't ever pull something like that again.

I'd like to add in another caution for everybody - please, please don't speed, especially on windy roads. Three of my friends died in a car crash just 2 months ago. They were were going very fast on a back road coming home from school, and they hit a small pothole. The car went out of control, they flew up an embankment, slammed into a tree, and landed upside down. There is a huge gash about 20 feet up the tree, if that is any indication of how fast they were going and how bad the crash was. There were four people in the car - the driver, his sister, and one of his best friends were all killed. The driver was 17, his sister was 15, and his friend was 16. The only suvivor was badly injured, and it wasn't know if he would survive for many, many days after the accident. So, the next time you get into the car and you think of doing something stupid or careless, please think of the tree with the huge gash in it, or the crying people at a funeral, or the grave of a brother and sister side by side whose lives were taken well before their time.

(edited to say: EVERYONE was wearing their seatbelts, and there was no alcohol involved)

[This message was edited by Jenn on Jul. 07, 2002 at 11:09 PM.]

Wow, and just looked at the photos again, more closely this time.

That was a new truck, wasn't it? What did your parents think? (I take it is was their car?).....Are they going to let you drive again anytime soon? Just curious (as I parent I know what I would do.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
    Ellipses users clique ...
    TGFPT,HYOOTGP

Glad you're okay. We all do stupid things when we're young and who hasn't drank before they were 21. That still doesn't make it okay, but thankfully you're okay.

Unfortunately a friend of mine was not so lucky. He wasn't even drinking, no seatbelt and ended up slamming into a tree. He died less than a month ago, a week before graduation. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Please, wear your seatbelts. I cannot stress it enough.

*Pony Rock*

Cars/Trucks take lives away just as fast as it takes you to buckle your seatbelt.

Thats all I have to say.

My horse is a saint and then satan the day after, what's next?

There aren't many things that make me more grumpy than people who feel like their desire to do whatever the hell they want is more important than the lives of everyone they encounter on the road. Whether it's driving home drunk, talking on the phone while driving, or trying to impress everyone with how fast you can drive (yeah, that makes you all man [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] ), there's something fundamentally nasty-selfish about assuming that you have some inalienable right to risk other people's lives.

Glad you're OK Sparkles and that you didn't kill anybody, and I'm more venting than flaming you personally, but the chapstick and the booze are really not important enough to risk turning your car into a lethal weapon. Why that's not obvious to more people is baffling.

A neighbor of mine was away at college, her freshman year. She and some friends were driving (none were drinking, and I believe they DID have seatbelts on...) around town. The driver was smoking a cigarette, and dropped it. She bent down to get it, and ran into a truck, killing my neighbor. The driver survived, but I don't remember about the rest of the girls.

The point - always keep your eyes on the road - don't lean down to pick something up. Along the same lines keep cell phone talking, map looking, etc to a minimum.

Glad you're ok.

I know she was drinking before driving, hoever, it was the chapstick that caused the accident. How many of YOU get drunk to that point after two beers? Not likley. That said, was it right for her to drive after drinking, no, was it the cause of the accident, I don't beleive so either.

My older sister's best friend was drivng on the interstate one afternoon, her name was elizabeth. She reached over to the passanger's seat to grab her egg mc muffin, and next thing you knew-after taking her eyes off the road for one second (this goes for veryone, turning up the radio, looking across the street...anything) and she ws in the middle of the highway, flipped over. She ran into a semi truck going the opposite direction. While Elizabeth is alive, she cannot eat nromally, speak, and swe don'tknow if she can understand us. The crash affcted her brain so that her parents read her childrens books, the only reaction they get are blinks of the eyes, which are not consistant enough to know if she acknowledges what they are telling her. (which means no "blink one for yes, twice for no". She is fed everyday via tube, and this July was her 21st birthday, she woud have graduated with my sister's class. She is what one mght call a vegetable- all for what? An innocent grab for a sandwitch in the am.

- Whit
    "The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was."
    I must say, I\'ve met some horses whose feet smell far worse than my husband\'s.

FATlilPony some people have a low tolerence to alcohol. That is besides the point you should never drive if you have drank 1 or 24 beers/wine/mixed drinks!!!!!!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] Call a cab, ride the bus, have a sober friend drive, or don't leave the party until the next day!!!!! When will people learn that alcohol and driving don't mix????? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] Plus she most have gotten a ticket and had to take a breathalizer, so case in point she had one to many to drink. You can blame it on chapstick or whatever, but it happened!!!
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

You know that place with the nude beaches? Not there.

I'd say at least 50 mph head-on. Now the mechanic in me comes out: WHAT DID THAT TRUCK EVER DO TO YOU? hmmph... was it actually YOUR truck, or did someone else own it? Seeing that you're 17, I am certain that your license wil be gone for quite a while, and you are VERY lucky you're not 18, or you'd most likely face criminal charges of DUI and reckless endangerment. Ride your horse.

As long as we're alive, who's to say we're not immortal? -me

www.geocities.com/winglet18
    Driven insane in the carpool lane...

FLP, I do not believe Sparkles anywhere stated that she only had two beers. I believe someone also made the point that while drinking may have not been the direct cause of the accident, Sparkles' judgment that told her she had to pick up her Chapstick ($1.25) while driving was probably impaired by her alcohol consumption, causing her to total her truck ($20,000 or so).

"Because she's got a tattoo, Hank. I think she could use a home-cooked meal."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MeanderCreek:

Also, if you drop something while driving - forget about it. I don't care if its your great grandma's ten carrat engagement ring. It will still be on the floor when you have a chance to pull over and retreive it safely. My sister - sober at the time - just ran through a ditch/field/ditch and did major damage to her car retreiving her air freshner [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I was in college, a young lady drove into a building because she had dropped her milkshake. DId major damage to both the car and the building and that made a big impact on me. I have had more than one instance of soda soaking into my floor carpets until I could stop safely.

It is simply not safe to lean over to pick things up if you cannot see or steer, and if you are 17, chances are, you don't have enough driving hours to have the experience to keep the vehicle going where you want it when you are fishing around for something. It is hard enough for someone who has thousands of hours of drive time....and still not the safe thing to do.

Driving while under the influence of chemicals or alcohol is never safe.

I'm VERY glad that Sparkles is ok and that nobody was killed. Property damage is getting off lightly.

Oy. Thank you for posting this, no matter how many times I hear of situations like this, it always scares me to think I might some day when I turn 16 get into the same situation (not drinking, just leaning down etc. etc.). I'm sure these pictures will stay in my head for a long time. I'm glad you're okay, I'm even more glad that no one else paid the price for your mistake.
    Stephanie & Danny

First - yes, it does take courage to post your story and I hope you never do it again.

Second - oh, heck, let's not even go there.

FlightCheck

~who USED to be the cop that got to work all those attractive Drunk Driver crashes, and THEN had the privilege of informing families that their loved ones were DEAD due to someone's arrogance and THEN had to see the drunkette all prettied up in court months later - "but your Honor, I didn't INTEND for anyone to die"...

I was a bitc* about drunk drivers - zero tolerance, they ALL went to jail. If everyone could just see the videos...drunks are neither pretty nor funny. They stink, they throw up on you or on themselves, and then try to be all innocent - "I was drunk, I didn't know, I wasn't thinking - it's not my fault"...

Geez, Sparkles, NOT directed at you - but at all those "but it was only a few beers" or "the chapstick caused the accident" proponents!

kudos to you for posting your story. That took guts.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Fatlilpony, I can't drive after two beers. I don't think I can after one, and I'm not about to find out. I'm a cheap date, and so is my husband, who after two sips of champagne on our wedding, looked at me, and said 'My legs feel funny" in a slurred voice.
    Just because I have a short attention span doesn\'t mean I

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SaddleFitterVA:and if you are 17, chances are, you don't have enough driving hours to have the experience to keep the vehicle going where you want it <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boy, isn't that the truth. Remember being a new driver and trying to make yellow lights from 1/4 mile away because you didn't comprehend the time-space continuum?

Sparkles, thanks for your story and your integrity to open yourself up to public shame (not that it is not undeserved...). Don't ever forget it.

Breeders & Friends of the Trakehner horse:
    American Trakehners - European Engineering, Made in America!
    Trakehner Treffpunkt & Tannenwald Trakehner
    Breeders & Friends of American Trakehners - European Engineering, Made in America!
    AND ... Breeding-Stallions.com

First, thank you for sharing your story. Hopefully it will get to at least one person and prevent them from something similar.

Second, I must respond to this quote:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I hope this thread doesn't get locked because clearly young drivers need to rethink the drinking situation and they can learn a lot from this story.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Granted, this story happens to be about a young driver, but please do not generalize. Honestly, any night of the week I can go downtown and see plenty of legal drinkers stumble to their cars and swerve away (they generally get pulled over about a half a block away). I can also go to any drinking party that any of my friends are having (age range of 16-20), and see plenty of people not drinking and being the designated drivers or people just spending the night. If you plan on drinking, you have to give your keys to somebody who isn't before your first drink. It's expected at every party we may have. Please do not tell me "young people need to rethink drinking situations." People of all ages are out there drinking and driving.

That being said, earlier this year, a kid from my school died and two of his friends were seriously injured in a drunk driving accident. It was his 17th birthday party. His mom and older sister had bought him and his friends alcohol and then preceeded to let him take their car for a ride. He was driving down a completely straight road when he swerved off and hit a tree. He was thrown from the car (no seatbelt..the other 2 were wearing their's). The other two guys in the car, despite their own physical conditions, got out of the car and found him 100' down the road. Police estimated that they had to have been going at least 90mph down the country road and nobody really knows what caused him to lose control of the vehicle. Charges are being pressed against his mother and sister for supplying alcohol to minors and for allowing Burton to drive while under the influence.

Accidents happen everyday. No need to make the chance of them happening even greater.

.:Erin B #2:.
    There comes a time when people seperate and you just have to keep your head up and move on. That time is now.
    -Erin B-
    \"I am fairly agile, I can bend and not break. Or I can break and take it with a smile. I am so resilient. I recover quickly. I\'ll convince you soon that I am fine.\" (\'Bend and Not Break\', DC)