The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My air vest won't deploy

I just purchased a Hit Air Advantage. I decided to test it out before I used it. Glad I did. The vest would not deploy. No matter how hard my husband pulled, the ball would not come out. We then took the vest off of me so he could pull harder. No luck. He then sat down, put the cartridge under his feet and pulled with both hands. The ball would not be removed. On closer inspection it looks like the ball is to big for the hole. The safety was up and out of the way. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem or if anyone has heard of anyone else getting a faulty vest? Or perhaps I was doing something wrong and that's the reason I couldn't get it to deploy. Thanks for any input. I'm new to air vests.

Try more realistic parameters.

Put on vest. Get on horse. Attach vest to saddle. Jump off.

Did you contact the company?
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by SuZQuzie View Post
    Try more realistic parameters.

Put on vest. Get on horse. Attach vest to saddle. Jump off.
    FAIL.

If the vest does not deploy she will be attached to the horse and potentially drug if the horse spooks.

It sounds like you have a defective vest. Call the manufacturer.

This is reason number 4 (I think) why I don't trust air vests. Yes, there have been plenty of similar instances as you describe from both manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    FAIL.
    This is reason number 4 (I think) why I don't trust air vests. Yes, there have been plenty of similar instances as you describe from both manufacturers.
    It's #1 for me. I don't want to be attached to a 1,200 lb flight animal if the tether fails to detach.

Thanks guys. I did send an email to Hit Air and I am returning the vest to SmartPak. I'm reconsidering air vests after this experience.

What are the other 3 reasons?

I would never have an air vest, for the four reasons IMO:

-You are attached if it does not deploy.
    -It can deploy if you are jumped out of the tack on course and risk you staying on or fall off because of something stupid.
    -No evidence on the studies that they did. They have not proved to me that this is a safer product. For all I know and fully believe, it could hurt me more then without it on.
    -Horses spook at a lot of things. Look at Mandiba falling down and breaking ribs because of a damn vest.

No thank you!
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Wow, the main function of the vest failed, that is a pretty big fail especially when it is brand new.

Maybe they will finally come back and give us their study results as promised!

I happened to witness a few Hit Air deployment failures at Rolex in the BOB tent. Standing in the tent it is humorous to see someone getting yanked around like a rag doll but it sure would have a different effect if attached to a horse...yikes.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    -It can deploy if you are jumped out of the tack on course and risk you staying on or fall off because of something stupid. No thank you!
    Didn't this happen to a first timer at Rolex this year? I seem to remember her writing that it deployed on the 2nd fence and she continued and completed the entire cross country. Sounded very funny when she wrote about it, but scary as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Didn't this happen to a first timer at Rolex this year? I seem to remember her writing that it deployed on the 2nd fence and she continued and completed the entire cross country. Sounded very funny when she wrote about it, but scary as well.
    Wow, kudos to that girl. Having seen photos and video of the vests on a person after they are deployed and how much the stick out, I can only imagine the how much of a loss of flexibility you would have. I think that girl is amazing for having finished with the thing deployed the whole way.
    "But I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost

Eventing at Midnight Blog
    http://eventingmidnight.blogspot.com/

Default I AM that girl... haha

I am the girl that wrote about my vest deployed at the CIC*** at Fairhill. My horse jumped me out of the tack at fence #2, and my vest deployed. There was no way I was quitting!! I did my first CIC*** with my vest deployed. It was not something I would like to repeat, but I survived.
    Jessica Bortner-Harris
    www.rockystartstables.com
    "Throw your heart over the fence and your horse will follow."

Quote Originally Posted by SuperEventer View Post
    I am the girl that wrote about my vest deployed at the CIC*** at Fairhill. My horse jumped me out of the tack at fence #2, and my vest deployed. There was no way I was quitting!! I did my first CIC*** with my vest deployed. It was not something I would like to repeat, but I survived.
    I'm glad you posted, I was beginning to think I had imagined the whole thing, because I couldn't find where I had read it and no one else seemed to know about it.

Glad you had a successful if somewhat uncomfortable cross country ride, will you be wearing the vest from now on?

Yeah, it was my post on EN. I've been writing about my first season at Advanced.

Yes, I'll still wear it.
    Jessica Bortner-Harris
    www.rockystartstables.com
    "Throw your heart over the fence and your horse will follow."