The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

I posted this for Fred when she lost Bob last month. It is one of my favorite songs.

Run For The Roses
    by Dan Fogelberg

Born in the valley
    And raised in the trees
    Of Western Kentucky
    On wobbly knees

With mama beside you
    To help you along,
    You'll soon be a'growin' up strong

Oh, the long lazy mornings
    In pastures of green,
    The sun on your withers,
    The wind in your mane

Could never prepare you
    For what lies ahead;
    The run for the roses so red

And it's run for the roses
    As fast as you can
    Your fate is delivered,
    You moment's at hand
    It's the chance of a lifetime
    In a lifetime of chance
    And it's high time you joined in the dance
    It's high time you joined in the dance

From sire to sire,
    It's born in the blood
    The fire of a mare and
    The strength of a stud
    It's breeding, and it's training,
    And it's something unknown
    That drives you and carries you home

And it's run for the roses
    As fast as you can
    Your fate is delivered
    You moment's at hand
    It's the chance of a lifetime
    In a lifetime of chance
    And it's high time you joined in the dance
    It's high time you joined in the dance

Run Max, Run

My very deepest condolences on your loss [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
    ****Indecision may or may not be my problem****

Turan...I am so, so sorry. I can't even find the words to properly express myself. For a loss so profound, there are no words.

Just know that the outpouring of sentiment here is genuine and heartfelt. It's not mere sympathy--it's empathy. To love them is to be vulnerable to the sort of pain you're going through now. Even knowing this, it's still worth it to know the joy, as well.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's an implicit price exacted for things rare and precious. We understand how dear a price you've paid.

{{{{{hugs}}}}}

The loss of a great horse is always so sad. Cherish the times you had together, and look back fondly on those times.

My sympathies to you, Moesha, on your tragic loss. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

~*~Tally Hoooooooo!~*~
    ~*~Tally Hoooooooo!~*~

Thank you seems so inadeuquete to all of the kind words and thoughts you all have given.

The whole situation still seems so unreal. In a way as time goes by it does become easier and in some ways that also adds to the saddness. Not that "Max" will not always live on in my memories and have a special place in my heart, but that time does heal and as strange as it may sound there is something sad about that.

I have decided to keep riding, even though it is still early and has only been a couple of weeks I thought I would never want to ride ever again. And then I thought of how much "Max" taught me and how hard he always tried, and I thought in addition to missing riding it would be a dishonor to him to quit.
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

Hi Moesha. I know what you are getting at when you say it's almost sad that we do heal. I have felt the same way every time I experience the loss of a "partner" be it equine, canine or feline. I feel almost guilty when I start to feel better. But that's not sad at all. That's God's way of making room in our hearts for someone else. You very obviously are a kind and generous person and it would be a terrible waste not to shower that attention and affection on "someone" who needs it. Max will be smiling down on you I just know it.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." ~Churchill~
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Turan,

Keep riding and on those days where you don't know how you pulled off the blue or the great round, you'll KNOW Max was up there smiling down and urging you on. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jobless clique...unemployed and searching for a paycheck: Next stop: The Diner in Adams Morgan...
    Can you stress-fracture your brain?

Just wanted to add my deepest condolences, Moesha. I wish I had the eloquence to write something that would ease the pain, but I'll just send my best wishes on to you instead.

When I am gone, release me, let me go...
    I have so many things to see and do.

You musn't tie yourself to me with your tears,
    Be happy that we had so many beautiful years.

I gave to you my love, you can only guess
    How much you gave to me in happiness.

I thank you for the love you've shown,
    But now it's time I travled on alone.

So grieve for me a while if you must,
    Then let your grief be comforted by trust.

It's only for a while that we part
    So, bless the memories within your heart.

I won't be far away, for life goes on
    So if you need me, call and I will come.

Though you can't see or touch me, I'll be near
    And if you listen with your heart, you'll hear
    All my love around you soft and clear.

And then, when you must come this way alone,
    I'll greet you with a whinny, and say...
    "Welcome Home"
    "These are my principles. If you do not like them, I have others." --Groucho Marx

Thank you all again, Shmon that was beautiful I really loved that.

I meant to post something, I told Miniwelsh about a dream I had the night after Max was hurt. I was leading Max and my bay horse Norman who died 5 years ago, he was a tb an absolutely stunning blood bay, he didn't have the easiest life before I got him anyway he was really hard to ride but an absolute pet on the ground he would follow you around almost like a dog, but really tough to ride. Anyway he injured himself the Winter I got Max and we tried everything he went to New Bolton for several months and they tried several operations,all kinds of medicine we would go and visit him I remember the last time it was so sad, and nothing worked.

Well I dreamed I was at a farm somewhere with brown fencing, and long avenues between the paddocks, there werer several smaller paddocks and then a huge field that began at the bottom of a hill with trees lining each side of the top of the hill and the sun was shining so brightly. I was leading Max and Norman and it was so vivid I remember stumbling in the grass on some uneven ground. I was leading them and they were grazing along the way, and I was thinking to myself that I could show Norman at Raleigh, since Max got hurt the night before we were supposed to leave for the Duke show , and that since Max had to rest I could try to bring Norman back into work in a week, since in the dream I guess he was only turned out/retired since that was what we had planned on doing with him when we got Max. Anyway I just kept thinking well I'll try Norman in the Low Jr/Ao jumpers he likes to jump and why not...it was so strange. Anyway all of this was happening and Max and Norman were grazing and walking along side of me and we going to the big field and I could see so clearly the sunlight gleaming off their brass nameplates on their halters and off of the chains on the leads. I turned them out and the were playing in the field and Max stopped and looked at me and I could see other horses somehow in the distance and then as I was walking back to the barn I was surrounded by the smaller fields/paddocks and there was a horse standing under a large shade tree and I couldn't make the horse out it was strange because the rest of the dream had been so vivid..and this horse was cloudy. And I opened the paddock gate and went in and then woke up.

[This message was edited by Moesha on Nov. 20, 2002 at 06:01 PM.]
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I am so sorry. I can't imagine what you are going through. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]