The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Coreene... someone HAS thanked the US... Canada (OK, so it was in 1973, it was still special [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ).

Stegall, you should be careful about thanking those Canadians for not invading. You must be to young (in BB years) to remember the Great Canadian Invasion of Thanksgiving, way back in 2000. They snuck right over that border while we were stuffing ourselves on turkey! It was sheer chaos for DAYS until we wrested control back from those upstarts.

But to the rest of the Canadians, be assured you have witnessed one of the bigger speech writing "oops" out there. If your PM is clever he will milk this one for all it's worth [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I am trying really hard not to make a goofball remark about how maybe he's not aware it's a separate nation.

just a friendly reminder, Thanksgiving is coming up soon, watch your back American's the BB is OURS!! MUWHAHAHAHA!!

opps did I say that out loud? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    ~ they tease you cause they like you ~

At times it feels that we Canadians are the crazy, yet wonderfuly useful, crazy sister in the attic.
    As surprisingly impressed as I've been with Dubya over the last week, that he's yet to realize that Canada is another country, well, we'll wait for his georgraphy tutorial.

Ummm, helloooo! Canada is, in fact, another country and not a wayward American state with a sad penchant for french fries with cheese curds and gravy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tin:
    just a friendly reminder, Thanksgiving is coming up soon, watch your back American's the BB is OURS!! MUWHAHAHAHA!!

opps did I say that out loud? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, and isn't Canadian Thanksgiving just around the corner....October 8th?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    "fighting stupidity; one step at a time" -- a wise COTHer

Uh, Canadiens, you are not alone - Ireland wasn't mentioned either, and there were over 100 Irish nationals killed, and LOTS more if you include the police & fire fighters who lost their lives.

I assumed it wsa an oversight. However, it was also in the Irish papers that this country has harboured a couple of terrorists - they even have (had?) a few "charities" that raise money for good causes, but actually goes to Bin Laden & co.

The FBI offered to help the Gardai (a very small force) track and capture these men, and were turned down. So, Special Delivery's reasoning makes sense. Unfortunately.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

I don't think there was a "slight" intended. Perhaps those countries mentioned in the President's speech were specifically noted in acknowledgment of their leaders' (physical) presence in the Nation's Capitol...as with Tony Blair. Were those mentioned (all) right there? Just a thought....

I actually really like their national anthem. How does the rest of it go?

F44 - Once a nerd, always a nerd.

And I, too, love the words to "Oh Canada." Actually most nations have a national anthem that really gets me going.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I much prefer the American anthem - very moving, anthemic, inspiring. Among the best versions I've ever heard BTW was Bobby McFerrin's years ago on Saturday Night Live, sung a capella. Brought tears to our eyes.

O Canada's kinda chugs along, as anthems go.

I much prefer the Canadian anthem--catchy tune, lyrics that get the point across briefly, anyone can sing it (not only performers with incredible range), AND, easily susceptible to parody if the urge strikes one... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Tinwhistle Farm

Yeah, but NP Fisher, you can't dance to it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Bush explained today the ommission of Canada in his speech, stating, "No need to praise the brother. After all we are talking about family." This explanation leads me to wonder, is the U.S. the son from Mommy's first marriage and Canada offspring from Mommy's 15th to an Inuit King? And given that we're kin, does this mean I can wander into, let's say, Duffy's closet and borrow anything I want without asking and return it to her dirty? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

What a lame excuse. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

That post is a thing of beauty, Heidi [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] wink wink nod nod [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Actually I am now starting to wonder if in fact Canada is the Evil Duffy2?
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

No, no, no, DMK, I'd always thought that the evil Duffy2 was, in fact, a transplanted southern belle. Hey, didn't you once live in Florida? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

That we Canadians are a peaceful nation of tolerant and compassionate souls who'd never, ever, stir the poo on a BB should be obvious by now. While you Yanks are pledging your allegiance to the flag, and then knocking each other over the head with the flag pole, we're busy peacefully pledging our faith and fidelity to the semi-colon, as been so astutely observed by HYN on the whooping-ass Bush thread. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]