The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This was a question on another BB (equiman.com) posted by horse4ever and since COTH has more Americans over here I thought I'd see what you guys thought. Will post my comments later.

**Moderators: if this is unappropriate in anyway, please take it off immediatly**

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Why is it that President Bush did not mention Canada once in his thanking the nations that are showing their support. He thanked countries overseas but not his neighbour to the North. This is very upsetting to all CANADIANS. The province of Ontario which is very close to New york has sent firefighters, we are running blood donor cliniccs to send blood, have offered our hospitals for the wounded & have sent money & raising more funds for the victims. Our Prime Minister was talking to President Bush the day the horrible tragedy happened.

Please tell me why Canada was never mentioned. Canadians have a right to know!!!!!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    ~ they tease you cause they like you ~

This was a question on another BB (equiman.com) posted by horse4ever and since COTH has more Americans over here I thought I'd see what you guys thought. Will post my comments later.

**Moderators: if this is unappropriate in anyway, please take it off immediatly**

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Why is it that President Bush did not mention Canada once in his thanking the nations that are showing their support. He thanked countries overseas but not his neighbour to the North. This is very upsetting to all CANADIANS. The province of Ontario which is very close to New york has sent firefighters, we are running blood donor cliniccs to send blood, have offered our hospitals for the wounded & have sent money & raising more funds for the victims. Our Prime Minister was talking to President Bush the day the horrible tragedy happened.

Please tell me why Canada was never mentioned. Canadians have a right to know!!!!!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know what? I never noticed he didn't say that..That is a valid point though!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] I was born in Canada, so I should have noticed!!!

Barb [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    **BARB***

has not been as gung ho on the military solution ie all-out war as Bush would like us to be....

close to 300 planes and 30,000 passengers came to Canada - and people hurried to the airports to help these people, welcoming them to their homes. Blood donor clinics, going overtime, have been jammed with huge line ups of people wanting to help. Many people have made financial donations. Emergency supplies, fire fighters (taking holiday time and overtime)medical workers all - with not a moment's hesitation have gone to help..
    Joe Clark has been quoted as saying,
    "We should be worried". Axworthy blew up at reporters for even asking about it, Chretien (M Poutin) says it is because "Canada is so close, Bush didn't have to even mention us".
    I think there are only two explanations: he forgot, or he has snubbed us. Maybe Heidi should send him the pictures of our military forces.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Canada has certainly been a good friend to the US through this tragedy, and I don't think Bush meant to discount that at all. I think Bush was speaking in more of a military context. What I think he meant was that the US and UK have been allies in many wars before, and will continue to fight together in this battle. Ari Fleischer (WH press secy) just affirmed that.

And not to encourage any flames, but...Israel has been a very good friend to the US in this crisis as well, donating blood and rescue workers, etc. They've helped in many of the same ways that Canada did (excluding of course the displaced flights). You could probably name countless countries who have offered/sent aid to the US in the past ten days. I think the list was too long to mention each country specifically, and that's why only Great Britain was mentioned. But that's just my opinion. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Bumping along life\'s highway, oops, detour, welcome to Yuma, AZ.

I haven't the true answer as to why, and came in late on the coverage of the speech.

I only hope it was that assume thing, you know he "assumed" Canadians knew he appreciated their support. But the old cliche is, "You know what to assume means? It is to make an ass out of you and me." [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!"
    \"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!\"

No one ever thanks the US. You get used to it after a while.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

it's been the lead item on all the news casts today. Personally I don't think it matters. All of us who have done something to help have done it because the need was there and we wanted to do SOMETHING. In the face of such devastation, suffering and loss, many of us felt impotent. Taking action, however small, helped us to feel connected and useful. The important thing is that we as individuals care and help in what ever way we can.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Important disclaimers -
    1) I am Canadian.
    2) I beleive that the snub, if it existed, was directed at the Canadian Government, not the Canadian people.

Considering the evidence that Canada was used as a
    safe haven by the terrorists involved in this
    particular act, the most appropriate way to include us would have been to say "Canada - You are either for us, or you are for the terrorists."

In matters of international diplomacy, these things are well calculated. Bush's omission was not an oversight. It was a clear indication that the level of cooperation he is getting from the Canadian government is not acceptable. We can be sure that - behind the scenes - the U.S. government has been leaning on Canada to get tough on terrorism for several years. The Canadian government's response has been underwhelming, to say the most; and nothing like the wrath inflicted on an anonymous protester who once got close enough to Chretien to earn himself a headlock.

Joe Clark, widely recognized as a straight shooter, has declared publicly that U.S. Congressmen are privy to more information about terrorist activity in Canada than are Canadian Members of Parliament. To my knowledge, not one person in Canada has been detained for questioning, other than for airport security violations. City Pulse news has questioned more material witnesses than the RCMP.

America is at War. Chretien claims to be 'shoulder to shoulder' with Bush, which presumably means we are at war as well. If that is the case, how is it that the War Measures Act has not been invoked? Thirty years ago, Chretien held an important cabinet position in a government that invoked the War Measures Act in response to what amounted to a serious crime (Many of the criminals were set free years ago). He has been Prime Minister, with a majority government, for nearly a decade. If he is opposed to the War Measures Act, he should have revised or abolished it by now. If we are indeed at war, now is the time to invoke the WarMeasures Act. There is no doubt the enemy is activelyoperating within our borders. This is exactly what the War Measures Act is for.

When they meet in a few days, I hope George W commits one of his infamous mispronounciations and calls Chretien 'Prime Minister Chamberlain'. That would be perfect.

(Edited to remove <CR> and make this post scroll properly. W.)

[This message was edited by Weatherford on Sep. 22, 2001 at 04:42 AM.]

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

I noticed the oversight/omission. When he said that the we have no better friend that Great Britain, I immediately said to a colleague, "Uh ... CANADA?!?!?!" But then I wondered, maybe he was including Canada in that Great Britain blanket, frantically trying to think of a way to rationalize for him. Not that he needs me to do that.

But as one grateful American, allow me to say what my president did not: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

****Bulletin Board Goddess****
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

As reported on CNN:

A man has been arrested in Toronto today. He was a passenger on a Lufthansa flight from Germany
    which was diverted to Toronto last Tuesday. He aroused suspicion when customs officials discovered
    several passports in his possession including Yemeni and Saudi credentials. His suitcase contained several airline uniforms. Supposedly he is an employee of Lufthansa's but he also had some very interesting messages written in code, sewn to the inside of the clothes that he was wearing. Canada is to hand him over to US FBI officials tomorrow.

Jean C. may not be quick to respond to the USA but our good Canadian customs officials certainly are.

on another board said that Canada is not an friend but a sibling. And you know how siblings treat eachother! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    I think that our Canadians "siblings" are the BEST! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

well, I can't speak on behalf of GW, but for my part "THANKS CANADA".

I don't think it was an intentional snub. More likely, because of the aggressive tone, and the fact that we will have to go into areas closer to those countries that were mentioned, perhaps our northern neighbors were ommited in order to not obligate them in what might become very unpleasant. Just a thought anyway.

I also do appreciate Canada never deciding to invade and seize the US when we weren't looking [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Remeber-we DO appreciate your help!!

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

Question, is Canada seperated from England? The president did make a point of thanking England and inviting Tony Blair. Sorry, either my history or geography classes weren't good. Or my brain has forgotten, which is more like it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I too thought why the snub, but then figured he covered it with thanking England.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I watched the town meeting that the CBC held. All I could think during and after was how wonderful and civilized Canada is. I suppose that more Canadians were lost at the WTC than nationals of any other country. But the Canadians who spoke seemed unified in wanting the US to go slowly and aim its retribution with laser precision.

It is my hope that in high level consultations, Canada will act as brakes to prevent the Western world from plunging into an abyss.

So, thanks, Canada for being who and what you are.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

"Canada sits atop North America like a great conscience." That's what my history teacher always says, and I just thought I'd share. No relevance to anything really.

"The question is not can they speak or can they reason, but can they suffer?"

Thanks for your insightful post, Special Delivery! And I like Essie's post about the sibling thing.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I'm sure I speak for many fellow Americans when I say THANK YOU, CANADA! You are our neighbor and friend....and the motherland of one of my favorite actors, Roy Dupuis! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] (sorry, I couldn't resist!)
    "fighting stupidity; one step at a time" -- a wise COTHer

My British husband pointed out, How many missions are we going to fly out of Canada?

F44 - Once a nerd, always a nerd.

thanks everyone for posting, now I finally have time to comment on my own thread *G* [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I have been thinking all day about this and a few reasons come into mind why President Bush "omitted" to thank Canada. I'll share them with you and if anyone wants to comment on them, please do [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

What immediatly came to my mind was resentment that our country knowingly/unknowingly was/is "home" to the terrorist(s), in this case I agree. I can't beleive we could have had such an evil person on our land and to know that "we" had such evil in our country just kills me inside. Shouldn't we have known? Did we not care? Why is it so easy to get into Canada? Many questions put onto our goverment (who in my eyes should have been replaced years ago).

The thought that it was perhaps because we can't support the USA through a military point of view. We are quite little people with not much of a navy, small army count compared to even some countrys half our size and are less equiped that other country able to back the USA if/when "physical" war takes place. I can understand that.

Perhaps we are too insignificant to have our support felt or maybe he just forgot or maybe the fairy tale is true that he just assumed that we would know. I won't lie, I as a Canadian, I feel a tad hurt.
    About 10% of me feels like we are just "there", that we have no meaning to other countries, that we are expendable and will either be wiped off if physical war occurs or left entirerly unscathed.
    Then about 20% of me feels very guilty for even thinking about this during such a time of need. That being so petty can even come to me after all of what the US has been through. And I feel guilty for the other Canadians who can't see I/they/we are being petty.

The rest of me stands tall for the states, proud to live next you and be your neighbours. I will always support America and no matter what Canada will always be standing beside you guys. We will ALWAYS be here when you need our help, no matter if you ask for it or not [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Just as I know the USA would help us and has many times in the past.

I hope the Americans know that, and I think that's the whole reason why Canada feels so bad about not being included. We want you to know we ARE there, that we can help and that we will continue to do as much as we can. I think what we are looking for is les of a "thank you" and more of an acknowledgment.