The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

So proclaims the latest cover of JANE magazine. I just swiped the magazine from my roommate so I haven't read the article yet, but judging from the captions and bolded sections, it gives the impression that the majority (it includes excpetions the the "rule") of equestriennes are involved in swaping purging tips in the tack room.

I'll admit - I'm totally naieve on this kind of thing. Is this an accurate judge of riders (not in general, but of a significant set of them) etc? Basically, I'm just shocked to see it mentioned in a regular publication like JANE.. thanks -

-------
    Swift's Injuries: 4 Major, 21 Minor, 9 XRays. Injuries to rider: 6.
    ---------
    Delighted Studios - I\'m not too proud to beg.

So proclaims the latest cover of JANE magazine. I just swiped the magazine from my roommate so I haven't read the article yet, but judging from the captions and bolded sections, it gives the impression that the majority (it includes excpetions the the "rule") of equestriennes are involved in swaping purging tips in the tack room.

I'll admit - I'm totally naieve on this kind of thing. Is this an accurate judge of riders (not in general, but of a significant set of them) etc? Basically, I'm just shocked to see it mentioned in a regular publication like JANE.. thanks -

-------
    ---------

Whoo! COTH BB is mentioned..

-------
    ---------

Can you somehow post the article?? I am a poor college student and have no way of getting a magazine like Jane. Do they have a website maybe?

Sincerely yours,
    A Frazzled College Student
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    \"Never give up on something you can\'t go one day without thinking about.\" ~Albert Einstein

I haven't noticed it a bit, certianly not around my delectable feasts!

Saturday, CDCTA schooling show menu:

Chicken salad sandwiches
    Homemade ham biscuits with cranberry honey mustard
    Crab mini quiches
    Shrimp mini quiches
    Vegetable crudite w/sour cream/roasted garlic blue cheese dip
    Pecan shortbread cookies
    Shrimp cocktail
    pretzels
    potato chips
    Fruit kabobs of pineapple,strawberry,kiwi,raspberry and ripe honeydew melon (artfully displayed [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] )
    jalapeno jack cheese cubes

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Take that, JANE!
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Email me and I'll get a copy of it to you? I don't think I can post it, but I can probably email copious amounts of "quotes" to you if you want.

-Another poor college student looking for something to do tonight instead of studying

And, ETBW - Why, why, WHY can't I show in Virginia?! Argh - down here we have Cheez-its and lukewarm Mt Dew on a good day! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

-------
    ---------

I REALLY dislike Jane.

We used to have copies hanging around in the staff room at my old work. I remember trying to read a few of the articles and finding that they were for the most part, brainless and fickle.

I haven't read the article in question, but I'm pretty sure it is one-sided and inflammitory.

But hey, if they mention the COTH BB, then they can't be THAT bad [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

It's a lot like nuts and bolts - if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
    ~The Horse Whisperer
    I'm not one to say I toadaso. But I toadaso. - Ricky

Everythingbutwings, are you really the Martha Stewart of the Horsey set? That sounds AWESOME! But why the baby quiches? Are you one of those sick monsters or something?
    I have eaten horseshow food that makes me want to purge...
    I hope JANE saw all the wonderful posts from people who believe that their horses helped to make them better and stronger people. To heck with whatever poop they wrote!

Ride it Like You Stole It...
    The witchy witch witch of south central NC.

Oooh! Send me a copy as well....my curiousity is getting the better of me! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] never have read Jane...the extent of my "girl power" magazine is the occasional Cosmo...LOL. Yes...I watch my weight very carefully these days...don't want that "Ghetto Booty" to come back & haunt me...but the logic escapes me (equestrienne or not): Why would you eat a perfectly good meal & then either puke it up or for lack of better word, poop it out!? What a waste [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] However, a water pill every now & then doesn't hurt...except that you have to stay within running distance of a bathroom for about 4 hours. I take one about once or twice a month (for obvious reasons!) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Perhaps I am walking around with blinders on...but everyone I see at shows seems to look pretty healthy to me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] SUZ

~~~Do you think the JUDGE saw it???~~~
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

They have a website... The girl on the cover looks emaciated, and I'm sure they accept advertisers from companies using emaciated models... Please, copy me an email with quotes from the article.

Could I get a copy as well? My email is erburlingham@voyager.net JANE irks me on a regular basis, I don't like to waste my money.

~*~Erin B~*~
    Have you hugged your horse today?
    -Erin B-
    \"I am fairly agile, I can bend and not break. Or I can break and take it with a smile. I am so resilient. I recover quickly. I\'ll convince you soon that I am fine.\" (\'Bend and Not Break\', DC)

Jane is a magazine that is very sarcastic.. to say the least lol.

If you go to www.janemagazine.com and go under "in the current issue" it's the table of contents and it shows a pic.

* Fiero *

Can I legally quote the magazine on here? Hope so - if not, apologies.

George Morris is quoted in a paragraph that reads:

George Morris...is also known for being shockingly open with riders about how he feels about weight. One of his mottoes is, "The best exercise a rider can get is to push away from the dinner table."..."You see these overfed, over-self-indulged girls and ladies," he says, enunciating each word, "Their riding coats are tight and bulging a little through the seams. They are galloping around on top of the saddle. It makes them top-heavy, like a cork on top of a wave. They hate me, they don't want to hear the truth."

George, a former judge, says he would "absolutely" take points from the heavier rider if two people were equally skilled in competition. ... Later, George tells me, "I hope you don't water down my quotes like you people do, soften it up and whitewash it..."

-----

Well, guess Jane doesn't have *too* much of an effect. I read the article, posted about it, sat and wondered if my show coat still fits, then went off and had Chick-Fil-A for dinner. Ah well! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

-------
    ---------

I emailed my thoughts via their rant link -
    This is what I wrote

Hi-
    I am entirely offended by the headline on your cover about how the horsey set "enjoys" bingeing and purging. First of all, anyone who binges and purges is NOT ENJOYING THEMSELVES. Secondly what a horrible generalization of a group of people that are for the most part wonderful, caring, and supportive. I can't tell you how many stories I've heard from people who thought horses were their saving grace.
    Secondly, my experience. I was a FAT rider. I was (and still am truly overweight). Although I knew I could do better if I were thinner (being overweight effects both your balance and position), I never was told to lose weight. In highschool, my self esteem took a beating at school - I'd never be popular or a cheerleader because I was fat, but guess what? When I left school to go to the barn, my esteem soared, my friends there, both fat and skinny supported me and cheered me on and I them. A crappy day being picked on at school was quickly forgotten when I nailed a 3' oxer or a tricky combination. The weekends when I knew I wasn't invited to parties weren't so bad when I knew I had a horseshow to go to. Who cares if I lost a ribbon here or there because I was fat... I always left the ring to applause, and I did win my share.
    Yeah, nothing beats a tall skinny girl in the eq, but boy, nothing beats an awesome rider in the jumpers. Yes, there maybe some people with eating disorders in the show ring, but they are also on our track teams, gymnastic teams, drama clubs and basketball teams. The majority of young women involved in riding are improving there lives immensley. They are learning how to win and lose with grace, how to deal with adversity, and how to have a bond with something so intense that you will never understand it.
    You owe every young girl who ever won a ribbon, or dreamed of showing a HUGE apology.

...I also posted a picture of my, well, rotund behind jumping a jump...

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

I have not seen this article, but a riding friend of mine says that it refers to George as "the sh!t" of the riding world.

It's actually, "...and he's pretty much thought of as the sh!t of the show-jumping world.." [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

-------
    ---------

okay, not about the ENJOYING part, but honestly, I've had a bowl of rice and 24 8-oz servings of water today. My trainer is CRUEL to me! it's the only thing he's tough about (god forbid he be tough about my riding). the thing is I really am overweight. I hate it and it's not good for me, but it's an inherent part of the A-circuit jr. set. This is sad, but honestly, the first thing I though when I read that blurb on their website was "God, i WISH i was the skinniest girl in the barn". I don't like the way Jane makes it glamorous in some way, and I think everyone here knows that the only reason that article is in there is b/c Michael Kors and RL had anorexic models strutting the catwalks in boots and breeches this fall (equestrian chic, dahling), but there is a more and a kernel of truth in the headline. Donning plus-size flame suit.

I'm just kind of stressed (why, why do I have to go to school?????)! Also, I kind of want to move up another level and I'll be allowed to if I slim down....that sounds SO bad, doesn't it? I love my horses, I even love my trainer, but sometimes the stuff that comes out of my mouth, err, keyboard is really messed up. BTW, GM is the Sh!t (ok, I'm so scared of him, and he'd probably go tell me to take a couple of labs in a rubber suit around a sauna, but I just idolize him)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It's actually, "...and he's pretty much thought of as the sh!t of the show-jumping world.." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But an impeccably well-turned out and skinny shit he is.

I'm no fan of George Morris but isn't it sad that of all that he's contributed to the horse world, he'll be known forever in the minds of unsuspecting civilians as the 'shit of the show jumping world'. And given his directives to the writer to keep the nasty commentary in the article, it seems a reputation he's quite happy to nurture and encourage. The shit.

Just out of curiosity, how many young girls still ride with the George, and how are people like Missy Clark about weight?