The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anhidrosis?

How does one tell if their horse has anhidrosis? I think my gelding might not be sweating normally, but its hard to tell. He is the type of horse that, while willing to work, definitely doesn't exert himself unless forced to. So I have a hard time judging if he is not sweating or if he just isn't usually working hard enough to sweat.

Is there any way to tell? Do I have to just keep working him in hot weather?

He does sweat, under his tack during harder work and under his fly mask.

About a month ago he was doing some pretty significant conditioning work, and he was sweating well. He got covered in sweat on his neck, chest, shoulders, flanks, etc.

I don't want to work myself up into a panic over this unnecessarily (like I tend to do) but I'm just not sure of how to figure out if he does have anhidrosis.

Is this something a vet diagnoses?
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

The two animals I knew who suffered from this did NOT sweat. And their temperatures skyrocketed. It was necessary to hose these horses to cool them down, and to monitor them very closely during warm weather and exertion.

But as always, speak to your vet for specifics. Don't be surprised if he suggests beer, specifically Guinness Stout, once a day.

I live in south Louisiana, and this is very common. My gelding stops sweating when the heat index gets into the 100s and it stays in the 80s at night. Where are you located as it seems early for your horse to stop sweating?

Believe it or not we are having great success down here with giving our horses Noni juice. We have several horses at my barn who suffers from anhydrosis, and last year we started giving them 2oz Noni juice 2x a day. The horses didn't sweat as well as they should, but they did sweat. I started my guy on it last month and I hope that it will help him this year.

Your vet can do a test where they inject something that will make a normal horse sweat in the injection area. If your horse does have anhydrosis, it won't sweat there. Most people around here don't have to do the test because it is obvious.
    Elisha

I live in SE PA. We've had some hot days (hot for our area and the time of year anyway), temps in the low 80's and humid. I just really can't tell if its a problem or not.

Sometimes I'm thinking ok, he definitely has a problem, other horses are sweating right now and he isn't (like on trail rides) but then I look at the other horses and one is jigging, working herself up and the other still has a full winter coat and is out of shape. So then I wonder if he really should be sweating. He cools out fine, I don't notice him huffing and puffing unless we worked hard (and if we really worked that hard he is sweating at least under his saddle area).

I'll ask my vet what she thinks next time she is out. She should be out in the next week or two to finish up shots.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Beer, live culture and unfiltered. Tough to find.

Do a simple test. No beer then beer, same weather conditions.

If there is no difference, you are still not pleased with the results, DRINK the beer.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

The guy I ride literally STOPPED sweating in the middle of the summer about two years ago. Another owner out at the barn found him standing in the run in panting without a drop of sweat on him. He got Guinness beer and one AC that year. Last year he did ok on just One AC, he was coming back after an injury so he was mostly just walk/trotting. He's on One AC only this year so far and fingers crossed is sweating very well right now. He's been in very regular work since the fall, hoping that also helps.

My horse went through this last year and you will definitely know if it is an issue! It usually happens in mid summer after a long string of high temperature days, with no relief at night. My horse sweat a bit (I think they call it "shy sweater") but not enough to cool him. To make up for the lack of sweating, they start panting. That is the dead giveaway that they are not sweating enough. If he is huffing and puffing immediately after a hard work, but then returns to normal breathing quickly, you probably don't have a problem. If he is still huffing and puffing after walking him out for several minutes, but quits after hosing him down, you might have a problem.

He is doing fine this year, despite early hot weather. I started him on electrolytes early and hopefully that will help. Guiness beer and One AC did nothing for him last year.

They pant. And look distressed. Although before they totally stop sweating they will often have a period of reduced sweating.

The vet can do a test where they inject a portion of the skin with epinephrine - that is the definitive test for anhydrosis.

What Thatmoody said. It's a cheap, quick test.