The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

My sympathies go out to her family, loved ones and friends. Clearly as evidenced by the many tributes and outpourings on this thread she was a beloved individual who touched many people's lives. For that she enriched this community by leaving this a better place and hopefully has gone to an even better one for herself.

and though I was unlucky to be among those who didn't know her, I certainly took a "crash course" on "Cactu-skate" last night..."inspiring" doesn't begin to tell the story-that photo with the oxygen tank, and her description of it are simply awesome! I'm sure she will always be with us now, whether we knew her or not...

MCL

I am so sorry to hear that such a wonderful lady has been taken from us. I don't know what to say [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img].

I happened to read the bumped thread that she wrote back in February,when she told everyone what she had. I was about to post a reply and then saw that she had died. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] She seemed like a very courageous woman, and I hope that she was an inspiration to others. She looked like she was having so much fun on that big guy in the picture!

I can only hope that if my disease gets worse when I'm older, that I can be half as brave as she was.

~ Laura ~

http://www.angelfire.com/realm/sunsav/main.html

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Oh no! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

My prayers are with her and her family. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

God forbid that I should go to any Heaven in which there are no horses.
    ~R. Graham
    God forbid that I should go to any Heaven in which there are no horses.
    ~R. Graham

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

I wish we could all have met her. She was very inspiring here on the BB.. My prayers are with her family...She will be truly missed....

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] You will be missed. Rest in Peace.

"Insanity is repeating the same behavior over and over and expecting different results"
    My horse's feet are as swift as rolling thunder, He carries me away from all my fears. And when the world threatens to fall asunder, His mane is there to wipe away my tears. ~Bonnie Lewis

From New Jersey.......transplanted to Silicon Valley, CA

My thoughts and prayers are with Catuskate and her family. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I think the tribute in COTH is a great idea. I just emailed a couple of her very close friends to find out what we might be able to do(as far as family permission etc.). I'll keep you all posted. I also sent the link to this thread to them, and hopefully they will forward it to the family. I think it is very telling as to just how many people cared for this woman. Thank you everyone for your responses....I know they'd mean the world to her.
    Chase's Mom; RIP Dezi 1/99-2/09

This was read at the beginning of the Queen Mother's recent funeral. I find it highly appropriate for Kathy as well.

You can shed tears that she is gone,
    or you can smile becuse she has lived.
    You can close your eyes and hope that
    she'll come back,
    or you can open your eyes and see all she's left.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

When I had my neurological problem and could not ride for 5 months, and then was mis-diagnsed with lung cancer, Cactuskate emailed me with condolences and the nicest thoughts imaginable. I don't think She even knew she was sick then.... and that she would be the one needing strength from other people. She just gave of herself freely, because she had so much to give.

Sadly, with my sporadic attendance on the board this winter, I did not even know she was sick. I can't believe that I missed the threads about her illness.

Cactuskate, belatedly, I need to thank you for being kind and generous and stong and a role model. I know you can hear us all praise you. You deserve it. God Bless.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

How very sad. Catctu Skate (thats how I always read the name) obviously touched many lives and will be remembered by all.

A thread on another BB recently brought back thoughts of a dear friend of mine who died of breast cancer at an age similar to Cactuskate. Coincidentally, my friend's name was Kate. I hope they meet, they sound like very similar women. The strength and courage she displayed in the last months of her life inspired me and my mother. Our Katie rode with shunts for meds and visited her beloved horse even when her husband had to carry her. I think Cactuskate will find herself amongst kindred spirits now. My sincere condolences to her family.

where the East meets the West, and the North meets the South!!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Oh dear.
    The above poem Coreene posted is simply beautiful.
    She chose to live her life fully, God Bless her and Amen

When I saw her name on her posts, although I knew she was an adult, I always pictured "Cactus Kate" -- a feisty little girl in boots and a pint-sized Stetson -- and it made me smile every time.

Feisty she was, and a wonderful example to us all.

Add my condolences to her family and loved ones.

This is not a happy day. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

So sorry to hear that - by reading her post, I realized what a truly stong and inspiring person she was.

My well-wishes to all those in mourning over her death. -

How awful. She will be sorely missed. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I've always enjoy Cactuskate's posts on this BB. Unfortunately, because of my sporadic schedule, I've managed to miss all the threads about her illness, and had not a clue until I read this thread just a while ago....wasn't she posting until fairly recently, like a week or two ago?

I just read the "An absentBB'er checks in..." and I can't tell you how surreal it was reading her post and seeing the pics for the first time, knowing she's "gone". [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

What a truely remarkable and inspirational being you were Kate! We will miss you!
    "fighting stupidity; one step at a time" -- a wise COTHer

Wow, I only made it to page 2 before I began to bawl, I mean full fledged bawling, tears and all.

All I can say is what a great, inspiring woman she was.

She never let her Cancer get in the way of her great sense of humor and her kindness.

For a woman with such problems, she was definately a devoted horsewoman.

She will be remembered in everybody's heart as a person who was very nice and caring and very trustworthy.

It will be sad here without her.

Rest in Peace Cactuskate.

I for one can say that 2002 has not been even remotely a good year. There are too many deaths this year, to many young people.

She was a fighter!

REST IN PEACE CACTUSKATE!

Money talks... but all mine ever says is good-bye.