The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

My heart goes out to everyone who was ever touched by this great woman. I didn't know her personally but her humor and loving nature touched everyone on this board.

Rest in peace Cactuskate, we will miss you forever [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

From someone who only "met" her recently, I have to say I am greatly saddened by this news.

My prayers are for her family and all her friends who will miss her.

"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning to sail my ship."
    -Louisa May Alcott
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coreene:
    I have tried and tried to compose a letter to John Strassburger, but I can't make it come out right.

Erin, any pull here? I think the Rocketman photo needs to be immortalized in print as well.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was actually thinking about this today, but didn't have a chance to shoot off an email to the COTH folks.

It would depend on whether or not her family would be willing to share the pertinent horse-related info, but I will certainly let the COTH know and see if they can do something.

They don't run pictures with obituaries, though, so the Rocketman will have to be immortalized here on the BB instead.

I'm also keeping an eye on the Yuma newspaper for an obit, and will post it here if one is printed.

somewhereother than where i\'d prefer tobe

With heavy heart I respond by thanking Cactuskate for her informative ways and humor as well. Her health issues and passing are part of a picture much larger than we may ever understand but know that she was called for a reason and now she lives without the pain she so regally endured.

She will be missed and I, for one, am thankful for sharing the COTH bb grief with such kind and meaningful individuals. I am thankful for being able to feel our group support.

I'd like to propose that we on the BB pool our financial resources and take out a half page ad in the COTH featuring the Rocketman picture of Kathy.

We'd need to get her husband's permission but I can't think of a more fitting tribute than to publicly celebrate her courage, spirit -- and creativity.

Now I'm crying. Found the obit, linked below:

http://www.yumasun.com/artman/publish/story_1041.shtml

That's a good idea Heidi [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

How much is a half page ad? I can't contribute much (which in US dollars is even less [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] ) but even if everyone one give a little we should be able to do it

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then give up. No use being a damned fool about it" -W.C. Fields
    ~ they tease you cause they like you ~

An inspiration, a laugh, a shared smile at a memory. What a lady!

I hope someone can print this thread out, or email it to her husband so that he knows how many people across the globe loved Kathy and were jangling their curb chains for her. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Robert Urich died today from a rare joint cancer which had been in remission until last year. In a soundbite from an earlier taped interview he said (in response to a question about how it felt getting 50,000 pieces of mail after the cancer news broke): "The most amazing thing was learning that love has power." Kathy knew the power of the curb chain.

Bob Urich was a horseman also; there could be worse versions of heaven than meeting Dan Tanner @ the Rainbow Bridge and going for a trail ride together!

~Kryswyn~
    "Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo"
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Compared with the outpouring of love and sadness here, that obituary seems so inadequate. I definitely agree that a half page ad would be a wonderful idea, and if someone let's me know where to send a donation, I'll be glad to chip in.

I'm new here and unfortunately did not know Catuskate, but I find myself on the verge of tears reading the fine tributes on this thread.

How full a life to have touched so many in so many places. I know of no better tribute than what I have read in the previous pages. May her spark and obvious zest for life endure in the inspiration she has given.

God bless.

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

I was thinking the same thing about Cactuskate and Robert Urich.

Heidi great idea!!!

I'm in on that just tell us where to post the donation for the COTH ad. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Well, a 1/2-page COTH color ad would be about $1469. B/W would be $587.

I contacted the original poster of this thread earlier today to see if she knew if any charities had been named for donations in Kathy's memory, but haven't heard back yet.

There would always be the American Cancer Society, or maybe a horse rescue group in Arizona. Or perhaps there's some kind of fund set up in the name of Barbara Silverman, the woman who competed in dressage at Gladstone while suffering from cancer.

Those are just some ideas... I'm sure many members of the BB would be intersted in doing something... we'd just need to figure out what.

I am sitting here crying, an internist, who has been here before: but you people are something else! May Cactuskate be pain free now, with all the friends, two and four legged. They are all there with you now!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Palisades:
    Compared with the outpouring of love and sadness here, that obituary seems so inadequate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that was just the announcement of services... there might be a more complete obituary tomorrow.

I get the old Calvin and Hobbes comic strips every morning by email... today's, which I opened before checking the BB, seems especially significant.

Today's C&H

I was rereading some of Kathy's old posts on threads that people have bumped or linked to, and I had forgetten about her sig line, which always made me laugh: "The older I get, the better I used to be... but who the heck cares?" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

So very sad, such a terrible loss.i loved her world view and sense of humor. There could NEVER be too many people like her in the world [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

-- Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
    ------------------------------
    Life Goes On

So sad. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] But it is a tribute to her life that remembering her brings forth such a tidal wave of hope for enthusiastic living in her memory.

And I, too, read "Cactu Skate" for the LONGEST time.

God rest your soul, CactusKate.

"And I think to myself, What a wonderful world;
    Yes, I think to myself, What a wonderful world." - Louis Armstrong

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people
    and the affection of children;
    to earn the appreciation of honest critics
    and endure the betrayal of false friends;
    to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others;
    to leave the world a bit better
    whether by a healthy child, a garden patch,
    or a redeemed social condition;
    to know even one life has breathed easier because
    you have lived. This is to have succeeded."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

I never knew her, but judging by her own thread and this one, I think it's safe for me to say that she truly succeeded.

"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    \"Never give up on something you can\'t go one day without thinking about.\" ~Albert Einstein

There is a hole in my heart... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I will miss Kathy's wisdom, humor and common sense. I will also miss her bravery and ability to cope with adversity. I am sure she has changed many lives in the short time most of us knew her on the BB. I will miss her great answers to the BB.

*Endurance Rider Wannabee!*
    *Endurance Rider Wannabee!* (But...just passing thru...for now!)
    ~*Peruvian Paso Clique*~

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Maybe we could put one of the poems posted in the ad...
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    The good die young.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I think everybody has said all that can be said and much better than I could ever say it, so I will just say how sorry I am. She will be missed.

"Stupidity should be painful."
    "Cats aren't clean; they're covered with cat spit."
    - John S Nichols (1745-1846,writer/printer)

There's no reasoning with crazy people.