The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

My heart goes out to her family. What a truly inspiring lady. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

~Katie~
    "The earth shook, the beach grass trembled, he propelled himself forward, and he flew." ~Mark Helprin
    I'm not one to say I toadaso. But I toadaso. - Ricky

I was so sorry to find this topic today and join you all in mourning the passing of a marvelous, strong, courageous person, CactusKate, though I always seemed to see it as Cactus Gate.

I heartily agree that the inspirational Rocketman photo needs to be included in a richly deserved Chronicle obituary.

My condolences go out to her family.
    Cheers, Maggi

What a horrible shame. My condolences to her family and friends.

Kelly
    ~Just My Luck~
    ~Silver Edition~

Because I, blonde, do not get "Cactu Skate" at all. But she would have expected this of me.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I wanted to post this email from Kathy, which she'd sent out in March. It sums up, in her own words, her amazing courage, grace, and humour.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Greetings all;

Well we are back from our March rendevouz at the Mayo clinic. We should have been back last Thursday, but my white count was down so I had to take some Neupogen injections daily to get it back up there. Thank goodness it responded since I told my doctors I was not leaving Phoenix until I got my "Mayo Fix". I might be one of the few people that actual beg for Chemo treatments. <grin> We didn't start until Friday so that meant Fri, Sat, Sun.

Test results from the Monday there were good. Did a CT scan, bone scan and chest X-ray. Everything showed some sign of improvement somewhere. So we are scheduled to go back April 2nd.

I am getting a little concerned though. That god-awful "barium milkshake" I have to drink for the CT scan didn't taste that bad. I would hate to think I am developing a taste for the stuff. Yuk.

Still no yukky side effects. Haven't lost any more of my fuzz for hair. My breathing has gotten a little labored if I exert myself. But I do have the portable oxygen when I go out and I have a machine with a 50' "leash" at home. It does help. I just remind myself I don't dash anywhere. What's the rush?

Spring has hit the desert. It is a small window you
    know. Weather was 87 degrees yesterday. Unfortunately the wind was blowing like a son of a gun today so I laid low. Hopefully it will break by the weekend. Bud needs a bath soooo bad. He is shedding like crazy, since I didn't body clip this year. My friends are helping with that task.

Hope this finds all of you in good shape and spirits.

Things are good in the desert.

Hugs and kisses, Kath
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree with coreene and JustaLurker - think it very fitting to memorialize Kathy in the COTH.

damn....maybe that's why I was thinking of her yesterday, when I hadn't for awhile. Met some lovely folks who are from the Tacoma Polo Club, and they had lived here in Bend, where Kate was from (which is why I began the connection, loose as it was, with her via email).

Her brother lives here, don't know about her parents, will check our paper for an obit to share. Damn again, I am very sad, but pleased she will be able to be met by all her friends and animals who have passed before her.

Cheers Kate!

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
    Ellipses users clique ...
    TGFPT,HYOOTGP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    She's still making me laugh

Because I, blonde, do not get "Cactu Skate" at all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're kidding, right? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

~Erin B #1
    A priest, a nun, an Irishman, a Scotsman, a cowboy, a lawyer, a salesman, and a blonde all walk in to a bar. The bartender says, "Hey, is this some kind of joke?"

I truly admire her strength and endurance throughout her disease. I hope that if I am ever faced in such a predicament that I too will be able to fall in her foorsteps. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] We will all miss her...

*Sarah Beth*
    "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."
    -Calvin and Hobbes
    *Sarah Beth*
    \"Falling\'s part of the game. It\'s like my dad always says: \"No matter how good you are, the ice is still slippery!\" -Michelle Kwan

I am completely devoid of it. I very rarely get it. Ask Colin.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

But if you aren't, um, I think it's CACTUS KATE, not "Cactu Skate". [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] But hey, I could be wrong!

~Erin B #1
    A priest, a nun, an Irishman, a Scotsman, a cowboy, a lawyer, a salesman, and a blonde all walk in to a bar. The bartender says, "Hey, is this some kind of joke?"

To mean this = Kathy In Arizona.

Blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

And I thought I was bad! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

~Erin B #1

The fact that you all can be so funny on this very sad thread leads me to believe that the spirit of Cactus Kate has possessed everyone here. What a wonderful legacy for her to leave.

She was incredibly witty and funny. What a terrible loos to the world, but what a blessing it was to have her.

-The Whit
    Pictures!
    -When all else fails, play dead.
    I must say, I\'ve met some horses whose feet smell far worse than my husband\'s.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Reading this whole tribute to Cactuskate accually made me cry. And i dont cry easily. I may not have known her, but she seemed like the bravest person on this planet. She was never down and even rode with her oxygen tank! My condolences to all of her family and friends

Jack Russell Terriers: They're football shaped for a reason!
    ~*From Terri*~

I keep getting drawn back to this thread again and again today. And yes, I'm crying again.

I was convinced that my deceased sister's cat was going to die on the anniversary of her death: March 24th. Now I'm hoping she'll hold on until Lorna's birthday in July.

Lorna died of brain cancer six years ago and sometimes it seems like yesterday. She was much like Kathy, from what I can tell. She fought her cancer for over 2 1/2 years and although the cancer itself changed her personality somewhat, (because of where it was in her brain), her spirit and sweetness never changed.

God, I'm so sad. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

I think we should all re-read Kath's post - and in tribute to her, do as she did and as she hoped we would do - live each day to the best of our ability - and try to have fun.
    I lost my sister to stomach cancer, there was nothing fair about it -
    This sad loss does put the day to day small details into perspective, yet again.
    My sincere condolences to Kath's family.
    That picture of her is burned in my heart too...

Gail
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

I've cried a couple of times today, too. Kathy sent me two photos of her on Bud, including the Rocket Man snapshot. She truly wanted to "help" other cancer victims/survivors. She said she wanted to inspire others to just keep going, to grab onto that zest for life (paraphrasing here), and if her photos and story could do that, then she considered her struggle worthwhile.

Was she great, or what? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Its sad to see such an amazing woman pass, but in her passing she has taught us all a valuable lesson. Live every day to the fullest, whether sick, sad, injured, whatever...always find the positive side.

Why isnt phonetics spelt the way it sounds?