The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

That is how I always manage to read her BB name.

I am very sad and send my best wishes to her family and friends.
    And God took a handful of southerly wind, blew his breath upon it, and
    created the horse.\" Bedouin legend

My heart goes out to her family. I lost my mother 2 years ago to cancer. It is a disease that is very hard on all those around and especially the afflicted. I hope Kate is enjoying a wonderful hack in heaven.

I personally will kiss my husband, give the dog half my food tonight, and bring my horse his favourite treat.

We all need to slow down and focus on the important things. Family and friends.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I was just thinking about her this last weekend.
    She really shined on this board. It's very hard to accept sometimes that we're all mortal.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    Dressage: a process by which some riders can eventually be taught to respect the bit

I am so blessed I had the opportunity to meet Cactuskate. I hope that we all have the same will and perseverence to climb onto our trusty steeds until the very end. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Come and visit the horses at: http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/CrossCreek

Cactuskate! You will always be remembered here, by us. Thank you for being strong, for being an inspiration, for being you!

I know this sounds hokey, but I recently did a will and in it I specified that if something happened to me The Chronicle needed to be notified.

Why did I do that? Because you all here are a real virtual group of friends and I would want to know about you too.

I'm so happy we were able to know that Cactuskate passed away. Because we could celebrate her and remark openly about her and what strength she brought to our bb. I would never want to think that she just stopped posting.

I'm giving virtual hugs to everyone. We have lost one of our own and it makes me appreciate you all very much.

Robby
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

I have tried and tried to compose a letter to John Strassburger, but I can't make it come out right.

Erin, any pull here? I think the Rocketman photo needs to be immortalized in print as well.

What will happen to Bud? I am sure that Kathy had everything taken care of, but I would like to know.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Here's a pic that Taryn posted of the group at The Oaks International, when some of us BB'ers met.

visit www.victorianfarms.com

That was such a fun day. I am so glad that we all met up that day, I will never forget it.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I'm glad that we were all able to meet too Coreene, but I'm sad that our meeting was so short. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

visit www.victorianfarms.com

We will have a big margarita in her honor. I am sure she will be looking down from Heaven and loving every minute of it.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I haven't posted anything yet, because its hard to know what to say.

Cactuskate was a stand out on the board, and though I didn't "know" her, I certainly remember her. My heart goes out to her "real friends and family" as well as our virtual family here, who has lost such a light.

I lost my granfather to this same dastardly ailment, so while I am sad, I know she is much better off where she is now.

And l scot, it took me a long time get Cactus Kate too, LOL.

I honor a brave, great, funny lady.

God Bless
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

I became fond of CactusKate from the moment I first saw her fun & unique name, and it was lovely to find out she had a personality to match. Although I did not know her except from reading her posts, I too will miss her.

My thoughts are with her family and loved ones.

I am very saddened by this news. May God hold her near and bless her family and friends. I too will always picture the Rocketwoman photo. She was a beautiful person both inside and out. May she rest in peace. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Member Of The Texas Clique & BEQS
    SueCoo & the Redhead (a/k/a \"Atlanta\")
    Life without horses is possible, but pointless......
    http://community.webshots.com/user/suecoo100

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth

Her strenght and grace were amazing. May everyone that knew her be proud of her in this hard time. God Bless.

~~Bucksnort~~

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mbamissaz:
    This truly wonderful woman lost her battle with cancer over the weekend...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was afraid when I saw the subject title that this was going to be the news.

I never met her in person, but if she was half as nice in the flesh as she was here, her real life friends have lost bigtime.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Coreene posted this on the "here's to you, Cactuskate" thread, which is a celebration of her humour.

This is just the last line of Coreene's post, but it is so touching, we should all see it. (Yes, it will bring tears to your eyes.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Originally posted by Coreene:

The jangling curb chains worked for Cactuskate. They did not make her cancer go away, but they were the music for her life.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

Unlike Merry, I never got to meet Kathy in person, only on the BB. (And I, too, always seemed to misread her screen name ... I couldn't quite figure out what a "cactu skate" was.) But even via computer, I could tell that she was someone who I would have been honored to call "friend."

What's the adage? You can tell a lot about a person by the company she keeps? I think that judging by how deeply we're feeling her passing, we can tell a lot about Kathy ... or, as she'll always be to me, Cactu Skate.

Put the jumps up in Heaven, get the dressage court ready ... Kathy wants to ride. And that's the way I want to remember her.

"When I can't ride anymore, I shall still keep horses as long as I can hobble about with a bucket and wheelbarrow. When I can't hobble, I shall roll my wheelchair out to the fence of the field where my horses graze, and watch them." -- Monica Dickens
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

Of opening the other thread on this subject before seeing this one. I guess I knew this would happen but never this soon. Then, I don't think anyone expects it.

I can't see the people that post here. For some reason that makes me think they're invincible. MissD almost proved me wrong and then Cactuskate... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Cactuskate was a wonderful person and I'm so happy I got to know her. She always made me smile! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

~Erin B #1
    A priest, a nun, an Irishman, a Scotsman, a cowboy, a lawyer, a salesman, and a blonde all walk in to a bar. The bartender says, "Hey, is this some kind of joke?"