The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

She will be truly missed. She was so brave and strong, this news strikes me as sudden and shocking. I have no words... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

* I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me. *
    My Mustang Adventures - my blog!
    Yoga for Equestrians
    "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

What a loss.

2002 has been LOUSY year so far. Too many deaths.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I am so sad. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] I was thinking about her the other day, wondering why I hadn't received an update in a while. That is such sad, sad news. I knew I shouldn't have checked the BB at work this morning. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

visit www.victorianfarms.com

I really didn't have much contact with Cactuskate, but the posts I've read and all your posts here make me wish that I'd known her!!

I hope that if I'm ever faced with a similar situation that I will have her grace and courage!

Mnay prayers for her family.
    www.sandbarequinetransport.com

Proud member of the ILMD[FN]HP and Bull Snap Haters Cliques

However, I know that she is no longer in any pain.
    My prayers to her family and friends.
    Vermont - where winter riders are real riders.

I was lucky to have met Kathy at LAEC when I was covering the dressage freestyle championship. We sat together for a while, chatted, and I even told her a few naughty jokes that made her laugh. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

We corresponded over the phone, and I interviewed her for a possible upcoming book. Why? Because I want to immortalize people like her whose passion for riding and horses is their life's blood. She was truly a wonderful lady. I play her voice back on my tape recorder, and it's like she's still there, still chatting about how her first word as a toddler was "thorse": Every creature she saw that had four legs was automatically a "thorse".

She loved her husband. She called him "a saint" for standing by her and keeping her sense of humor and self-worth in check. She enjoyed the BB and everyone here.

My life was enriched by having crossed paths with her, and I'm quite certain we'll meet again. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I was reading this thread with tears streaming down my face. So sad.

We'll miss you.

Why can't my horse just be normal?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Though nothing can bring back the hour
    Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
    We will grieve not, rather find
    Strength in what remains behind;
    In the primal sympathy
    Which having been must ever be;
    In the soothing thoughts that spring
    Out of human suffering;
    In the faith that looks through death,
    In years that bring the philosophic mind.

Ode. Intimations of Immortality
    William Wordsworth, (1770-1850)

Thanks for the laughs, Cactuskate.

Wow. Not the news I was expecting (or hoping for) when I opened this thread.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

My thoughts and prayers are with her family, as she must be in a far better place now.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

-Ryan

My VERY UN-expert opinion.

Oh no, I am so very very sorry. I too will always remember the inspirational Rocketman pictures. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

My condolences to Castuskate's husband, family and friends.

I just saw the "rocketman" pics of her on her horse for the first time -- that's a confidence, bravery, and optimism rarely seen. Truly sad reminder that life can be too short.

"It is by no means the privilege of the rider to part with his horse solely by his own will." -- Alois Podhajsky

"Go on, Bill... This is no place for a pony."
    \"It is by no means the privilege of the rider to part with his horse solely by his own will.\" -- Alois Podhajsky

\"Go on, Bill... This is no place for a pony.\"

Can someone post those pictures??? I need to be inspired!!! I can't seem to find them! What a strong woman!!!! I could only hope to be as stong as she was.

**BARB***

House hunting on Long Island....we're looking at cardboard boxes..since that's all we can afford in a nice area....
    **BARB***

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

Gwen, see Tin's post on pg. 1, with the link 'Never Forgotten'.

And here is a picture of her showing her beloved Clownin' in Oregon in 1984. I know she is having a wonderful ride on him in heaven right now.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

OH, thank you!! I now have the chills! What a wonderful woman! She just didn't give up something she truley loved..Now she can ride her old horse all she wants!!!!!

**BARB***

House hunting on Long Island....we're looking at cardboard boxes..since that's all we can afford in a nice area....
    **BARB***

Inverness, that was a beautiful poem with a wonderful insight and sentiment. Thanks for sharing.

Let's all go out and ride today full of joy for the chance to feel alive on the back of our horses. I'm sure Kathy would love to look down and see us all. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

So pleased to have known her. So honored to have called her a friend.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I'm sorry [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] My thoughts go out to her family and friends. This BB won't forget her, she will be greatly missed. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Gwen, look at the first post on the thread "An absent bulletin boarder checks in..." It's been bumped up. The "rocketman" picture is an attachment.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Thanks for posting the pics and for sharing your visit with her, Merry and thanks for memorializing her and others like her by capturing their stories in print.

I am so sorry to read this and I too have been inspired by the "Rocket Man" pics.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Libby
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap