The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default equestrian nanny sites?

Does anyone know of any nanny agencies/ websites that cater to equestrian nannies? I know that there's a site called "Nags and Nannies" that caters to clients in the UK. Has anyone heard of something like that the US?

Default Yard and Groom

Is certainly interesting. Have met and hired some of the most amazing and hard working young ladies ever - also some of the biggest freaks in the world! As per my personal experience - many of the international girls are great - come on a 3 month visa as a working student/exchange type of deal - and are very cool. Most of the American girls I met were useless to dreadful. I'm sure there are many exceptions - again, just my experience. Check references, look at photos and videos, have long phone conversations about what you require and what knowledge you want them to have. One person I met is a dear friend many years later, and another my son still refers to as "She Who Shall Not Be Named"....
    fun to read through, though!!!

I just checked a job out that looks like a real peach... it is for a

" Full Time Au Pair/Groom, Nanny/Housekeeping"

"A nanny is required for a live-in position in Dublin.
    Duties include caring for 4 children, supervising their extensive horse riding activities."

That's not a nanny, that's a MOM... lol

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by HeartsongHorses View Post
    I just checked a job out that looks like a real peach... it is for a

" Full Time Au Pair/Groom, Nanny/Housekeeping"

"A nanny is required for a live-in position in Dublin.
    Duties include caring for 4 children, supervising their extensive horse riding activities."

That's not a nanny, that's a MOM... lol
    That's kind of average for a European au pair position. I look after 3 French kids (5, 7 & 9) - they don't ride but I pick them up from school and supervise all after school activities, English homework, cook them dinner & if their parents aren't around, put them to bed. If their parents are there I help with bedtime. On wednesdays French schools are out (they really, really need to catch up with the rest of the world, England eventually did with the whole Saturday school thing!) so I work from when the kids wake up until when they go to bed/the kitchen is clean.

Be very clear and realistic about what you are expecting. Look at au pair contracts on line, and discuss expectations thoroughly with each applicant, and with whoever you choose before either of you sign anything. If you expect babysitting in the evenings, specify how often and when you will start paying extra for their services. If you expect cooking, specify how complex it will be. If kids need help with schoolwork, make sure they are game for that. If you expect cleaning (most European au pairs do very minimal housework - cleaning the tidying children's rooms, some ironing, cooking & cleaning the kitchen after meals), be specific with your requirements.

It's an arrangement that can work very well but both sides must be clear about whats expected.

Just thought to add - most European au pairs get weekends off (except 1 night babysitting if needed). In your situation with the horses you'll probably want someone working on weekends, so be sure to factor that into the pay.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Thanks for all of the replies!
    I'm actually the one looking for a job though

I'm a full time, live in nanny right now, and I have about 4 years of experience. From what I can see on most of these sites, they seem like jobs for au pairs who mostly want the experience, whereas I'm pretty much a professional nanny who just wants a job where horses are involved.

The job I have now is in the city, and the parents made all sorts of wild claims about how they were hoping to get a house in the country and get a bunch of horses to ride, and it would be so nice to have a nanny who knows all about that. Well, it's now a year later and nothing like that has happened. I started out the year with great expectations of buying a horse and riding every day, but I've found that I'm much too far away from any barns, and much too exhausted at the end of the day to make riding a big part of my life. (my job sounds exactly like yours, EventforLife, except it's in the US) That just doesn't work for me.

I don't know that I'm going to have much luck finding a job like this. I've now broadened my search to include all families who live in the country in equestrian areas. Northern Virginia specifically. That way even if the family isn't into horses, I'm still able to fit it into my life.

Actually, I just saw and ad for that on Y&G. Maybe in NC or SC?