The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Of course I see people bringing up an article or two about a NY carriage horse dropping dead. What they fail to see is that other articles could be brought up showing a horse dropping dead during show jumping, dressage, eventing, racing or maybe even trotting through someone's backyard pasture. Isolated incidents can happen. One happened to a horse just in the pasture at a boarding barn I was at. Perhaps we should have freaked out and banned that boarding barn from having horses! It was an isolated incident. Not something that can be used to back up an argument in my opinion.

Then there are the outdated and misinformed articles about the conditions the horses live in too.

What people forget is that horses are beasts of burden in some places and not Poopsie who lives in the backyard, doesn't work, gets ribbons tied in his hair and poops out rainbows. Horses are work animals and have been used that way for quite some time.

I dare to say that some of those carriage horses do get better care than some others at a private boarding barn or backyard where they perhaps have an "easier" job. That job of being a carriage horse is all that some of these horses know.

I hope that none of these folk who are against NY carriage horses leave the country and see how other places actually use horses. Oh god, they'd have a field day in some parts of Mexico and South America.

I hope that those who are actively boycotting the NY carriage horses are just as actively boycotting other horse related issues that are actually considered cruel...but probably not as the majority seem rather misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    PETA and HSUS members would not be caught with anything animal, not even in the name.
    oh sure they do. many of them only toe the line as long as it is convenient (or until they can't find shoes they like that aren't leather )
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    I am so happy that I bought Mane-N-Tail products this last week ! I should thank them for the support of getting rid of the carriage horses.
    Ultimately the real issue is NOT the NYC carriage horses - it is letting someone else, someone who does not believe we should "own" animals or use them in any way at all (including service dogs for the disabled) make a decision about what is best for our animals. I know for a fact that my horse (he is not a carriage horse) would be miserable without a job to do. Sure, he likes hanging out with his buddies, but he wants to work. I will be damned if I will let someone else tell me what is best for my horse.
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    I am so happy that I bought Mane-N-Tail products this last week ! I should thank them for the support of getting rid of the carriage horses.
    COOL! So when PETA, HSUS and the ASPCA work to ban whatever horse sport you are into we'll put you at the front of the line so they can take your horse first!

Good luck with that.
    People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they're lost.---Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    COOL! So when PETA, HSUS and the ASPCA work to ban whatever horse sport you are into we'll put you at the front of the line so they can take your horse first!

Good luck with that.

we will be sitting in our folding chairs in the front rows, drinking a beer and telling you 'we told you so'

However you feel about the horses in the city, the wording of the bill will open the door for everybody to lose their animals, which will also include personal riding horses, therapy animals or service animals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Just joined the FB Group Boycott Mane n' Tail- up to 225 likes!

Mane n' Tail- what idiots!!

Quote Originally Posted by abbbalonian twist View Post
    Just joined the FB Group Boycott Mane n' Tail- up to 225 likes!

Mane n' Tail- what idiots!!
    YAY!!! Love to see how Straight Arrow is going to explain their support of a group whose SOLE goal is to REPLACE HORSES with FAKE ANTIQUE CARS!!!

Come one, Straight Arrow- where's your response?

Hey, maybe Straight Arrow is about to launch a new car care line of products and phase out the products designed for use on horses? Ya THINK? They might have to do this, as our boycott grows.

http://manentailequine.com/expert-bl...-the-solution/

Mane n' Tail have now posted on their blog to show their support of the ASPCA, INCLUDING this lovely paragraph

If you do see a carriage horse in distress or suspect the driver is committing a violation, get the identification numbers, which both the horse and the carriage have. Notify the Mayor’s Office at (212) NEW-YORK or the City Council Speaker at (212) 788-7207 or (212) 564-7757 about your concerns. You can also notify 311, which logs this information for the Mayor’s Office and will notify the ASPCA if it is an animal-related crime/violation.

I sincerely hope this company goes under. I have screen captured the Facebook post linking to the blog post as well as the blog post itself.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post

Mane n' Tail have now posted on their blog to show their support of the ASPCA, INCLUDING this lovely paragraph

I sincerely hope this company goes under. I have screen captured the Facebook post linking to the blog post as well as the blog post itself.
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

I've never liked their products....always felt and smelled like the Lemon Conditioner products my grandmother bought in the 70s for about .99 at the dollar store.

So Mane 'n Tail have doubled down, and are now actively asking people to call the Mayor of NYC to support Intro 86, which would ban the carriage industry.

This is war.

The expression "rue the day" comes to mind....
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

I just posted a link to the Boycott Mane n' Tail page on my Facebook and asked my friends on there to like the page if they did not agree with banning of NYC carriage horses.

I'll be sending e-mail to Smartpak (who carries Mane n' Tail products) as well as talking to my local tack shops.

Mane n' Tail is going DOWN.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

I am beyond dumb-founded...
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post

Well, Pat Parelli is still around, after working with the HSUS, giving them money, or being given money by them, that part of the story was confusing and they made him their "horseman of the year".

Don't hold your hopes out, PR is driven by money and those groups have the millions behind them the gullible public gives them in donations and left in their wills.
    Those groups are run by master manipulators of public opinion, or pay those that are and few are a match for them in their PR turf, as you can see.

Yep, keeping our rights to using animals is a losing battle in today's uncaring society, that lives by soundbites provided by those with agendas.
    At least we can say we did put a good fight.

Does COTH magazine run Mane & Tail ads?

How far do people intend to take the boycott?

"If you do see a carriage horse in distress or suspect the driver is committing a violation, get the identification numbers, which both the horse and the carriage have. Notify the Mayor’s Office at (212) NEW-YORK or the City Council Speaker at (212) 788-7207 or (212) 564-7757 about your concerns. You can also notify 311, which logs this information for the Mayor’s Office and will notify the ASPCA if it is an animal-related crime/violation"

because they will be able to find violations that the NYC city/ASPCA-employed inspectors have never been able to find despite the fact that they would love to
    sounds like in response to the response of customers, mane n tail is trying to make it look like they support NYCLASS because the horses are abused, but anyone who does their research knows that NYCLASS and banning the NYC carriage horses has nothing to do with abuse of these animals unless you think by definition any working horse that does not have daily pasture time is abused
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

It is time for all horse people to unite. DO NOT spend your hard earned money with companies that support anti-horse owning and use legislation like Straight Arrow. Boycott not only Mane N Tail, but ALL of their products. Tell your co-op or tack store why you no longer buy Straight Arrow products.

The Intro 86 that Straight Arrow products is publicly supporting would BAN all carriages in NYC and would MANDATE that the horses be SOLD or GIVEN ONLY to NON-USE homes. In other words, these horses could not be SOLD or GIVEN to ANYONE who intends to RIDE or DRIVE them EVER AGAIN.

Mane N Tail's makers are supporting a BAN on HORSE USE!!!!!! by supporting INTRO 86. Don't spend your money with this company. Don't fund those who are ON RECORD as opposing the use of horses in any LEGAL enterprise.

YOUR horse-related activitity could be the NEXT to be targeted for banning.
    Last edited by bayou_bengal; May. 6, 2012 at 03:25 PM.

To all of you folks who have offered to throw away your MnT products:

If at all possible, could you please video that action, and send it to us? If there are a few people nearby who are also on board, doing it all together on camera would have a great impact.

We are going national with this.

Many thanx.
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Folks - Don't throw out your MnT products - send them back! Seriously - it may cost you a few dollars but will make a much bigger impact:

Straight Arrow Products, Inc.
    P.O. Box 20350
    Lehigh Valley, PA 18002

ETA: Video tape yourself throwing the product away and then send back the bottles!
    Last edited by TheBarnRules; May. 6, 2012 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by michaleenflynn View Post
    To all of you folks who have offered to throw away your MnT products:

If at all possible, could you please video that action, and send it to us? If there are a few people nearby who are also on board, doing it all together on camera would have a great impact.

We are going national with this.

Many thanx.
    Where do we send this? I can do it this afternoon and email it