The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fairfax dressage saddles?

Hi all,

I'm new to dressage from jumperland, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with "Fairfax" dressage saddles? Trumbull Mtn Tack has a Fairfax monoflap on their site, and I must admit I'm interested to hear in how it rides.

I'm also open to suggestions; I ride in a County Innovation jump saddle with huge thigh blocks, which I adore. I have ridden in an Hermes dressage saddle, which makes my low back hurt--feels like it tips my pelvis forward, and several others (a KN old style one comes to mind), none of which were very comfortable in that sense. My leg naturally hangs pretty straight down, and I balance well on my seat bones---I hate feeling tipped. The KN didn't feel like it tipped me at all, but was just hard as a rock.

In general, can anyone give me advice on which saddle brands tend to tip your pelvis one way or the other, or lock your leg in a position, and which ones tend to be a little bit less steep behind your butt? The ones I'm looking at right now are Albion, Schleese, Hennig, Custom, County and Black Country. My horse is a thoroughbred with a medium-tall wither, M-MN tree, short back, well-sprung ribs. His jump saddle has skid row panels and is a M tree. Thanks!

It is a new saddle, so probably few have tried it. I have and found that it is not ideal for a short backed horse. With the panel back shortened, it should be a dream for my one horse. It fits as is for the other. The leather and stitching are very nice. Love, love, love the mono-flap. My mare can feel my leg start to touch her with my heel, and she is already responding by the time my heel is on her. It sits close to the horse, too.

It is a modern saddle with wide panels and excellent gullet clearance. The seat is medium deep with a long center of balance. My leg drapes nicely and the blocks are not in contact when I am riding. I imagine they would be useful if my 3 year old does something interesting.

The changeable gullets were important to me because the saddle fitters here in mid america are few and are reps for particular lines.

Hope that helps.

I trialed one -just did not work for me.
    For me it rode small...I tried the 18'' and fought the blocks....really needed an 18.5 (which they do not make).
    Lovely saddle though -good luck!

It's my understanding that the Fairfax is the leather version of the Thorowgood saddles - like Bates is to Wintec. I've heard good things about them, but don't have any first-hand experience. Dutchess Bridle & Saddle is a Fairfax/Thorowgood dealer - http://dutchessbridlesaddle.com/index.cfm