The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Am I Insane?

So today I had a lesson on a 2nd leve dressage mare. I have only had one lesson on her before this. All of my lessons have been on a horse named Mr Perfect. Mr Perfect is most of the time everything but Perfect. He really challenged me and I loved how I schooled him at times. I loved how me made me work to get a result, but when we did, it was the best feeling ever.

This mare is very particular about a riders aids, and sometimes has an attitude but isn't rude for the most part. She really tests the rider to make sure you know what you are doing. The lesson was very nice and I learned how a horse should really behave and when a horse is trained well how you are suppose to ride (like using outside rein when doing a circle as an example).

Here is where my insanity comes in. I enjoy riding Mr P more to this mare. I feel like Mr P doesn't act up to 'test me' but either because he just doesn't want to do it, or he is learning how to do something. Riding this mare was a great oppertunity but if I had my choice I would always ride Mr P.

Granted...I am moving on Tuesday so this was my last lesson at this facility, but am I alone in my thinking that I like riding the horse that makes me work compared to the horse that is super well trained and could teach me so much?
    http://www.horsez-r-us.blogspot.com
    Blog of an ordinary and every day horse lover!

They're both teaching you, just different things.

Whether you're crazy is a separate issue.

HAHA I thought so!

I guess it would get better the more I ride her, but I guess I'll never know. I've never rode that well trained of a horse. My grandmother has a coworker that sends her horses down to FL to train during the winter and she always says that when her horses come back, they teach her.

My biggest problem was that she was so sensitive to everything it was almost annoying, but when I was trying to get her to slow down no matter what I did it seemed like she just ignored me. She has a lot of energy and she does behave and she LOVES to work so I guess that could have been part of it.

I also apologize for my non-technical speaking of this haha, I don't talk horse well even though I know what I'm talking about

I suggest riding as many different horses as you can so you can learn to ride all different types of horses and how to handle different situations. You can ride the same horse all the time but you might only learn so much on one horse.

I don't like when riders, particularly students, think about their horses in terms of "rude" and "testing" or "being a jerk." (You didn't say "being a jerk," but I've seen it in other threads lately.)

The truth is, you don't know either of these horses. They probably tote around dozens of riders a week whom they have no relationship with.

They are doing the best they can to get along, stay safe, and stay comfortable in the somewhat confusing job of toting around unknown humans.

I understand that they are not tuned in to you like your own horse will be some day, in time. But that is not the nature of their life.

When you think your mount is being rude or is testing you, look to yourself and wonder if you couldn't have been more clear.

Good luck with your move.

I think sometimes the well trained horse shows the rider's faults more plainly, so the self conscious rider would rather ride a horse that makes them focus on more obvious corrections (to the horse), rather than corrections to themselves.

That is just my theory based on my own students.

I always prefer a horse that acts a little bit more green, even if they aren't! I enjoy working with my horses to reach an end. Blame it on me growing up riding greenie after greenie, but riding "school masters' just doesn't do it for me. However, I think it's *very* important to ride them so you know what it is the feeling you're working towards. I often forget and it's hard to move forward if you don't know what it is that you're working towards!

The school master is usually going to show you how much you don't know, and bring a level of awareness to mind of the depth of sophisticated communication that's posable between a rider and a horse.

Sometimes it just feels better to stay in the familiar territory of bringing a horse up to your level of ability, then to face being humbled by the horse that challenges you to ride at the most refined level of your ability, and then push you to reach beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post
    I don't like when riders, particularly students, think about their horses in terms of "rude" and "testing" or "being a jerk." (You didn't say "being a jerk," but I've seen it in other threads lately.)

The truth is, you don't know either of these horses. They probably tote around dozens of riders a week whom they have no relationship with.

They are doing the best they can to get along, stay safe, and stay comfortable in the somewhat confusing job of toting around unknown humans.

I understand that they are not tuned in to you like your own horse will be some day, in time. But that is not the nature of their life.

When you think your mount is being rude or is testing you, look to yourself and wonder if you couldn't have been more clear.

Good luck with your move.
    I spend at least 20 hours at the barn that I take lessons at, I have known this horse since Sept...I know her. And she only 'totes around' one other lesson student...She is a GREAT horse. Very friendly and beautiful. I was saying about when i was riding her. And I think it's true lots of horses test you to make sure you know your stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by alterhorse View Post
    The school master is usually going to show you how much you don't know, and bring a level of awareness to mind of the depth of sophisticated communication that's posable between a rider and a horse.

Sometimes it just feels better to stay in the familiar territory of bringing a horse up to your level of ability, then to face being humbled by the horse that challenges you to ride at the most refined level of your ability, and then push you to reach beyond.
    Very true!

I do want to ride many horses, and I do want to learn as MUCH as I can. I am sure if I had more time on her I would be tuned into her as well as I was with this other horse.